Vinyl Me Please Classics

Sorry to be a pain but could someone please link me to the original clues. I seem to remember it being a R&B Jazz crate digger release?

Im just listening to Patrice Rushen - Straight From The Heart and if it is this then surely its a front runner for the worst pick to date? I mean no offence to the artist but how on earth could this, a record which has an £9.24 average and 24 available copies on discogs (and that just the first US pressing!), ever be considered a crate digger classic?

Man, I have never been this against a Classics release before....

Sorry to be a pain but could someone please link me to the original clues. I seem to remember it being a R&B Jazz crate digger release?

Im just listening to Patrice Rushen - Straight From The Heart and if it is this then surely its a front runner for the worst pick to date? I mean no offence to the artist but how on earth could this, a record which has an £9.24 average and 24 available copies on discogs (and that just the first US pressing!), ever be considered a crate digger classic?

Man, I have never been this against a Classics release before....
The original clues are somewhere in this thread but i can roughly remember them

clue 1 - jazz&B, crate diggery
clue 2 - female, 1982
clue 3 - 7, 9

I listened to the frontrunner yesterday and it didn't do much for me or hold my attention and did I miss the jazz part of "jazz&B"!?! Sounded like a disco record to me!

Also I'm really glad they never got that "crate diggers" sub off the ground, imagine committing to a year long sub and they hit you with this? Oof!
And then send you 25 copies of Patrice Rushen for the true pie-in-your-face experience

Swap is the only thing that made me ultimately sign up. I would not have joined without that backdoor.

Edit: Yes I get that this would be a different sub, but I think that would be a hard obstacle for them to overcome. There are already people doing that.

It would take a real high level of trust to commit to something like a year long sub with no swaps and judging by their track record VMP isn't the one!

The original clues are somewhere in this thread but i can roughly remember them

clue 1 - jazz&B, crate diggery
clue 2 - female, 1982
clue 3 - 7, 9
Oh man, seems like its going to be Patrice Rushen then. I haven't missed any Classics yet (other than John Lee Hooker) but im really going to consider skipping this one.

Thanks for collating the clues btw!

Oh man, seems like its going to be Patrice Rushen then. I haven't missed any Classics yet (other than John Lee Hooker) but im really going to consider skipping this one.

Thanks for collating the clues btw!
What’s kinda funny is that it has been sampled frequently hip-hop so it might be big (totally relatively speaking this will likely be one of the slowest moving classics pick ever) amongst younger hip-hop heads but my mom, who really isn’t a hip-hophead, had this LP. Maybe this is the type of record that can unite the Post-millennials and Baby boomers.

I'll slightly reverse course and be the devil's advocate cheerleader this time lol. Straight From the Heart isn't that bad of a record and some of the cuts are actually really good for that genre. I'm going to say it, the analog tape thing is what's making most of y'all hate these picks recently. For year's I've complained about how boring MoFi and AP picks are, and the typical defense is that they're very limited with what they can source on tape, and what the labels will let go to be cut from tape. I always thought that was BS, but I'm thinking VMP is getting into the same situation where they are relying more on basic picks due to their commitment to release audiophile quality LPs.

IMO due to the production quality, this is more worth the cost than a stupid DMM reissue of a $5 Run DMC record, or the Isley one which is even more common, but this is sort of the issue we face with a sub based service, you're at the mercy of the curation and it can't always be 🔥 to everyone. At a certain point VMP itself is just an inherently stupid system because you're allowing a few 30-something guys in the midwest to spend $30 for you every month.

Straight From the Heart isn't that bad of a record and some of the cuts are actually really good for that genre.
Haha, if that's what the cheerleaders sound like for this record, it doesn't say much.

I get what you're saying about AAA, but that's why I don't even consider buying the majority of stuff MoFi does. I'm all about chasing down the best pressing, but I'll never buy an album that's not great just because the packaging/mastering is amazing.

Haha, if that's what the cheerleaders sound like for this record, it doesn't say much.

I get what you're saying about AAA, but that's why I don't even consider buying the majority of stuff MoFi does. I'm all about chasing down the best pressing, but I'll never buy an album that's not great just because the packaging/mastering is amazing.

I'd say if your bread and butter genre is funk and R&B, you'll probably be much more cool with the 80s stuff, and thus into Patrice. I ran this pick by few of my music buddies that do and they were cheerleading it for me a little better than I can lol. I don't think anyone would argue it's a top 100 record, but it does have some fans for sure. This and Mr. Hands signal to me as a curator Storf is trying to die on this 80s hill which is certainly a unique niche to chose, but not everyone is going to follow. I think part of the friction is that they've put lots of what would have been the most desirable records on track into those overpriced anthology boxes and they're really swinging for the fences with these picks.

Also to your point with AAA, that is exactly how I shop as well. Still I think with them sending records to Fremer now, they're clearly baiting the crowd that will go for anything with premium mastering. The more $ than sense gearheads if you will. Someone has to be buying those MoFi records, and Patrice would be an *edgy* pick for them!

One more random thought, but I would love to see VMP play around with guest celebrity curators like the Criterion Closet or something. I wonder if that would be the sugar for the pill. For instance Alicia Keys loves Patrice. Wouldn't it be pretty interesting for this to be "Alicia Keys Presents: Straight From the Heart" and read her take on this album and how it influenced her? I feel like they were going for that with the P4K stuff but it never really wound up being interesting.

One more random thought, but I would love to see VMP play around with guest celebrity curators like the Criterion Closet or something. I wonder if that would be the sugar for the pill. For instance Alicia Keys loves Patrice. Wouldn't it be pretty interesting for this to be "Alicia Keys Presents: Straight From the Heart" and read her take on this album and how it influenced her? I feel like they were going for that with the P4K stuff but it never really wound up being interesting.
This would be fun.

I love this idea. When I first stumbled upon VMP I found Experience Vinyl at the same time and chose that one over VMP because of that reason. I think they only lasted 4 or 5 months, but the idea was a famous artist lists their 10 favorite albums and does small write ups on them and a large write up on their selection of the AOTM. George Clinton choosing Sly & the Family Stone - Fresh was my favorite choice. I knew Sly and George Clinton but didn't know Fresh. I was introduced to an album I didn't know that I came to love and his insight was very cool. Other choices were Talib Kweli picking John Coltrane's A Love Supreme/A Tribe Called Quest's Midnight Marauders and Carlos Santana choosing Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain. The problem with these last two are that so many people already own those albums. Regardless, it was cool to see their take on them and I love the concept.

Whatever happened to that P4K collab anyway?

Whatever happened to that P4K collab anyway?

No clue! Think it's dead TBH, the UGK release was scaled way back from the Slowdive one, and it's still in stock. As for curated content they were doing the Ameoba "what's in your bag" ripoff instead but it certainly wasn't a guest curator deal like the P4K one was.

Back