Vinyl Me Please Classics

Clarification from Storf:
Just so everyone knows: This month's classics is ALL ANALOG; the ADA one is coming in May (that switch happened forever ago, and I forgot I mentioned the ADA coming until I saw someone mention it) and we'll be explaining why it couldn't be AAA. Repeat: March is AAA for Classics

Hints from Storf:
Classics: 7,9
RHH: 2,17

that’s great news.

Honestly I'm gonna swap this one anyway, so I wish it was the ADA release and not the May Classics, which will probably be an actual great album I want. Maybe May is from Chess or something else like that whose masters burned up in the Universal fire?

Same. Like it’s a fine album and all but it seems way too modern for a classics release and it isn’t rare or super significant in any way other than “Forget Me Nots”. I really don’t get it either.

I really suspect it’s because it’s been sampled quite a bit. Patrice even got a writing credit on Mobb Deep’s The Infamous, so I’m sure VMP would love to bring up that release again lol

Again to be pedantic ADA is not a regular SPARS code, but if we're playing by SPARS rules it would be an album that was recorded on analog tape but bounced to digital during mixing, for a final master in the analog domain.

To be honest, I'm not ragging on VMP, the SPARS codes are stupid as hell, and should be phased out among enthusiasts for a clearer system of just saying the sourcing straight up. I'm assuming what they really mean is it's either a record that had digital mixing in the pipeline (unlikely) or that the only surviving or best quality master is digital (more likely).

Ugh. I... really don’t get why this is a Classics release.

I think at this point they should just give the track a subheading of "soul, r&b, jazz & funk" to align it with the RHH nomenclature, because everything is on it is certainly that. From a marketing perspective I think the names "classics" and "essentials" have a hell of a lot more shine to them, but they're just inviting the insults at this point lol. I like this album just not really for $30, and the OG appears to be cut by John Golden during his tenure at kDisc, so I'd be shocked if the RKS cut is really going to blow it out of the water.

I've had this sub since day one and never swapped, but straight from the heart is going to test my resolve. It's awful.
Break the chain.

Having them all is ultimately completely meaningless.
When I broke the chain, it felt like when your hangover wears off and you have a new perspective about drinking that hard ever again.

The best means of breaking the chain (from someone who knows) = throw away the faux-bi strips (or at least store them away) and you’ll lose the compulsion of having a nice little set that all goes together.

Break the chain.

Having them all is ultimately completely meaningless.
When I broke the chain, it felt like when your hangover wears off and you have a new perspective about drinking that hard ever again.
The best means of breaking the chain (from someone who knows) = throw away the faux-bi strips (or at least store them away) and you’ll lose the compulsion of having a nice little set that all goes together.

I listened to the frontrunner yesterday and it didn't do much for me or hold my attention and did I miss the jazz part of "jazz&B"!?! Sounded like a disco record to me!

Also I'm really glad they never got that "crate diggers" sub off the ground, imagine committing to a year long sub and they hit you with this? Oof!

Back