Vinyl Me Please Classics

And everyone needs the definitive mono mix. Are the tapes missing for that or something? I’m surprised it’s never seen a reissue.

While the stereo mix is great, everyone deserves to hear the mono mix of Lady Soul. I own a 1968 UK mono pressing and it's truly a revelation. I've never understood why the album's mono mix hasn't been utilized in the digital era. Even the 1995 Rhino reissue CD presented the original album in stereo and supplemented it with mono single mixes for "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone," and "Ain't No Way."

As for Aretha Now, I've never heard the mono mix for that album, as it was only issued on a rare promotional LP. There is the UK pressing for that album that is deemed to be mono, but many have ruled it to be a stereo fold-down.

While the stereo mix is great, everyone deserves to hear the mono mix of Lady Soul. I own a 1968 UK mono pressing and it's truly a revelation. I've never understood why the album's mono mix hasn't been utilized in the digital era. Even the 1995 Rhino reissue CD presented the original album in stereo and supplemented it with mono single mixes for "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman," "(Sweet Sweet Baby) Since You've Been Gone," and "Ain't No Way."

As for Aretha Now, I've never heard the mono mix for that album, as it was only issued on a rare promotional LP. There is the UK pressing for that album that is deemed to be mono, but many have ruled it to be a stereo fold-down.
I'm still hoping there's a chance they got the mono promo tape cut, but it will definitely be a big surprise. @TCell, (or anyone else) do you remember where Storf made that super confusing comment when talking about I Never Loved A Man where he said something like, "the Aretha we have coming next year will be mono, no stereo, no mono, maybe, I think" and confused us?

Last edited:
Yaaaaaaaas! But I’m not locked in for Classics at the moment! When I re-joined, I only have R&HH and Essentials in my account. I’m going to email CS and make sure I get into the slot for this Classics ROTM! I can’t miss out on anymore Classics ROTM yet alone this stunning album!

Curious if Classics is listed for you as an Add-On on the Account page @NathanRicaud. I only see Rap & Hip-Hop as an Add-On right now. Is this why you need to email CS? I'm in the same boat as you, but I also don't want to deal with CS if I don't have to.

Probably a vocoder with them, no? But that's more of a throwback sound than anything. I think T-Pain is the source of the current wave of autotune, he worked with Kanye on 808s, and inspired the rest of the rappers to use it. I guess if you want to give someone else the nod, maybe Cher, but I can't see many soundcloud rappers citing Cher as an influence.
During the production of 808s T-Pain was brought in as an autotune consultant of sorts. He was helping write some songs too and then this transpired...

At one point during the session, Kanye wrote a song about how dumb all of T-Pain’s ideas were. He then proceeded, T-Pain said, to make “everybody in the studio join in with him to sing, like, ‘T-Pain’s shit is weak.’ ”

I guess crate digger for me is when I grab an album in a bargain bin that I’ve never heard and something about it intrigues me , the cover, a song title etc when I get it home I find a random sample from a group like Wu-tang on it and say ohhh that’s where they got that song. I’m not really sure what the term crate digger actually means though.

I guess crate digger for me is when I grab an album in a bargain bin that I’ve never heard and something about it intrigues me , the cover, a song title etc when I get it home I find a random sample from a group like Wu-tang on it and say ohhh that’s where they got that song. I’m not really sure what the term crate digger actually means though.
IIRC, Crate digger comes from DJs/producers who would go to any length to find obscure samples on records. i.e. digging through crates of records in some random dude's basement in a foreign country and discovering a record that's extremely rare and unsampled. And once you had that sample, people would have to come to you to get the beat with that sample because the records were so rare that nobody else had it. Crate Digging became that kind of life-style, where people would go anywhere and dig through everything to find that one perfect sample.

IIRC, Crate digger comes from DJs/producers who would go to any length to find obscure samples on records. i.e. digging through crates of records in some random dude's basement in a foreign country and discovering a record that's extremely rare and unsampled. And once you had that sample, people would have to come to you to get the beat with that sample because the records were so rare that nobody else had it. Crate Digging became that kind of life-style, where people would go anywhere and dig through everything to find that one perfect sample.
That makes a lot sense. The term gets thrown around so much anymore I think the actual meaning got a bit diluted. Like a grail being a record you wanted for a while and found on sale at Target.

During the production of 808s T-Pain was brought in as an autotune consultant of sorts. He was helping write some songs too and then this transpired...

At one point during the session, Kanye wrote a song about how dumb all of T-Pain’s ideas were. He then proceeded, T-Pain said, to make “everybody in the studio join in with him to sing, like, ‘T-Pain’s shit is weak.’ ”

Kanye’s like the Edison of hip-hop lol.

That makes a lot sense. The term gets thrown around so much anymore I think the actual meaning got a bit diluted. Like a grail being a record you wanted for a while and found on sale at Target.
When I think of Crate Digger, I think of guys like Egon, DJ Shadow, Madlib, Dilla, etc but I'm sure the term came way before that. Those are just the guys I associate it with since that's when I first learned of the term.

The grail thing pisses me off too haha. It's been so watered down now like you said.

When I think of Crate Digger, I think of guys like Egon, DJ Shadow, Madlib, Dilla, etc but I'm sure the term came way before that. Those are just the guys I associate it with since that's when I first learned of the term.

The grail thing pisses me off too haha. It's been so watered down now like you said.
I call all my records grails just to annoy my wife, my record player is my grailspinner, and the postal worker who delivers them is the Grailman. Then I wonder why she beats me in my sleep.

Curious if Classics is listed for you as an Add-On on the Account page @NathanRicaud. I only see Rap & Hip-Hop as an Add-On right now. Is this why you need to email CS? I'm in the same boat as you, but I also don't want to deal with CS if I don't have to.
Hey! Yeah, definitely email customer service and let them know. I haven’t gotten a response for it yet, but I’m sure that when the February ROTM’s get announced, we’ll be able to add-on the Classics track!

I would just make sure I’m on the computer when they announce the three ROTM’s, so it’s a higher chance we can subscribe to the Classics track!

I think this is because the current Classics is sold out.
I was able to add it a few days ago. Not sure if they have just put it on hold and say “sold out” because they are just waiting to open it back up or if it’s truly sold out. But I can’t really remember any (if any) times they didn’t open up more spots when album announcements occurred.

Curious how many of you out there actually have all the Classic's releases. I do, but as time goes by, I find myself listening to them less and less. Mulling over walking away from it, but knowing I have the entire "set" thus far, it's hard to imagine not adding to the collection.

Back