Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I think the only Motown albums I have outside of the Christmas comp are Stevie Wonder. I need to get some Marvin Gaye. Ut never get around to it. Maybe this can inspire me to get those and dig into others to see if I actually want them.

Or is including Tamla cheating? Not sure how that works. Maybe I should buy this set so storf can tell me in the podcast.

I have 5 Marvin Gayes, 3 Smokeys, 3 Stevies, 3 Sam Cooks, and a bunch of other stuff. I might pick up a #1 collection some time soon. I would prefer to not have Storf tell me anything ever again.

I think the only Motown albums I have outside of the Christmas comp are Stevie Wonder. I need to get some Marvin Gaye but never get around to it. Maybe this can inspire me to get those and dig into others to see if I actually want them.

Or is including Tamla cheating? Not sure how that works. Maybe I should buy this set so storf can tell me in the podcast.
From what's been teased, I think Tamla and the other subsidiary labels are fair game.

I have 5 Marvin Gayes, 3 Smokeys, 3 Stevies, 3 Sam Cooks, and a bunch of other stuff. I might pick up a #1 collection some time soon. I would prefer to not have Storf tell me anything ever again.
Nice, I only have the Sam Cooke at Harlem Square, which is on RCA. It seems like a singles comp would be better than a lot of full albums. Hope you could tell the storf part was tongue in cheek.

Sorry I just can't stop thinking about this. So everyone complained last time about not knowing the titles upfront (even though we kind of figured them out and then it sold out anyway). Instead of taking that feedback and deciding to announce them this time because, you know, that's what their customers want, they've stuck to their guns and are still not announcing them (and have seemingly made it harder to deduce this time). SO....someone at VMP (probably many people) got together and decided that the surprise element is so important to the Anthology experience that they're sticking with it in spite of the negative feedback from the BN rollout.

My question is...WHY? How is this experience enhanced by NOT knowing what the albums will be? Why is THAT (the surprise) more important than giving your customers what they want (knowing what they're purchasing)??
Remember this is a company whose entire premise (at least at the start) was not knowing what you're going to get. That's what ROTMs are.

Granted, Rough Trade does a very similar club that I'm very close to leaving if only because they don't tell you *at all* what you're getting until it's already shipped. Which is shitty if you e.g. already have it. (you can swap but you need to write them and get a return label)

Oh, totally, lol. I remember your sarcasm dhodo. That Harlem Club is one I play more than anything else. The problem is there's a lot of sound issues with most of the vinyl compilations on Motown.

Also, I feel like we should point this out. After the Blue Note fiasco, you'd think VMP would have went with an easier label. This is basically jumping from the lion's den into the lion's mouth. The Motown diehards are just as hard to please as the Blue Note folks.

Fair points. I still think the price is decent but not for the stupid surprise element. Let me put it this way, if you want me to take a risk on it, you should knock some price off. And this whole thing is a $300 mystery crate lol.

Also look at @Murfocakes 36 disc Motown alternative for the same money as this is costing for international customers with delivery. And yes that is 36, 4.5 times the amount of records.

And thanks everyone for speaking out about why you're not getting this box, otherwise I would have thrown away a few hundred. I ordered the new Robbie Robertson last night and I know that whatever comes in the VMP box, I'll get just as much enjoyment and will play Robbie Robertson way more than 8 mystery Motown albums.
Thanks for the tip. I did not know Robbie had a new album on the way. Freakin' love his music!!!! I feel so old when I listen to it, but don't care one bit.

The Motown diehards are just as hard to please as the Blue Note folks.

Are they? All the Motown diehards I know are far from audiophiles. They’ve been content with brickwalled, highly compressed CDs for decades. They’re not neurotic like Blue Note guys who get erectile dysfunction from piano warbles.

Are they? All the Motown diehards I know are far from audiophiles. They’ve been content with brickwalled, highly compressed CDs for decades. They’re not neurotic like Blue Note guys who get erectile dysfunction from piano warbles.

It s also fundamentally music that doesn’t need to be presented audiophile. A nice high quality press is more than enough to be super enjoyable.

VMP just paid attention in Econ 101:
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it." -Thomas Sowell

Just because many of us think them not telling us the titles is bullshit, and their FOMO marketing is infuriating, why would they change? The Blue Note one sold out in under 3 hours. Why would VMP think this Motown Anthology won't sell out as well? If people don't sell this one out instantly, hopefully they'll adjust the way they market the next one. But if it sells out in a day, they have no impetus to change.

I totally agree tbh, the vinyl market is rife with the FOMO tactics & they clearly work, though I will say it always does sting a bit coming from VMP who do go out of their way to throw out progressive ideals and feel-good newsletters and then turn around with these silly prices and cynical marketing tactics.
To piggyback off a previously well said point in this thread, why does it have to be called "The Women Of Motown"? Like it woulda been really cool to just drop a "Motown Legends" box set or something to that effect and still have the boxset be an all-female lineup. The great sentiment behind the idea doesn't need to feed back into the marketing in my opinion and sometimes when companies do this stuff it rings a bit corporate and hollow to me.
That being said there's also a good case to be made about the attention that focusing the marketing of the product around The Women of Motown specifically is good, i'm too dumb to make it though

Back