Vinyl Me Please Anthology

It's being hosted on discourse.org and discourse has some like... activity-based system where people that are more active and involved get more privileges and abilities? I don't know, it looks super confusing, but that guy would totally take over the forum through sheer brute force I bet. Can't wait to see how it shakes out!
I love how their tagline is "Civilized Discussion"

I love how their tagline is "Civilized Discussion"
I REALLY, REALLY, hope it goes without a hitch in anyway shape or form for those who are picking this up...............but, they are so diluted with that tagline. The minute a problem is found I'm pulling up a chair and getting some popcorn :)

They are by far their own worst enemy, they just set themselves up for all this.

So I've been listening to the albums from the Motown on Mono box this afternoon and I remembered, oh yeah, I don't really like Motown that much.

View attachment 17563
Man I don't even know if I like motown or not and I was still almost in, more for my girlfriend than me. She asked me today, because I've been talking her/myself into this thing since it was announced, what the albums/artists in the set were going to be. I told her it was a surprise, and her response via text after about 5 minutes was, 'Well fuck that then, right?'.

Im sure this will still sell out in a few hours, but I hope they rethink it for next time.

Man I don't even know if I like motown or not and I was still almost in, more for my girlfriend than me. She asked me today, because I've been talking her/myself into this thing since it was announced, what the albums/artists in the set were going to be. I told her it was a surprise, and her response via text after about 5 minutes was, 'Well fuck that then, right?'.

Im sure this will still sell out in a few hours, but I hope they rethink it for next time.

That's kind of the angle that I was going at for a while. I know my wife and in-laws would enjoy this much more than I would, and I'm always looking for records to spin for them, but is it $200+ worthy when I don't even know if it's artists they'd enjoy? Nah.

I REALLY, REALLY, hope it goes without a hitch in anyway shape or form for those who are picking this up...............but, they are so diluted with that tagline. The minute a problem is found I'm pulling up a chair and getting some popcorn :)

They are by far their own worst enemy, they just set themselves up for all this.
I'm with you 100%

Not to pile on or anything...

But THREE HUNDERD DOLLARS LOL

I thought box sets were supposed to be cheaper than buying each of the individual records at once? They're clearly just messing around with the format to see what works, almost seems like a (very expensive) experiment marketed as a fully fleshed out premium product which it doesn't seem like they're capable of delivering. I'm not boycotting VMP by any means, I pick up the odd ROTM & exclusive, but this Anthology thing just seems a bit mad to me (no disrespect to anyone who wants it/is picking it up obviously)

Alright. I'm walking away from this box. Here's why:

(1) I can easily think of where I'd prefer to spend $270 more. (AKA my Discogs Wantlist).
(2) I just know they're going to fuck stuff up again.
(3) I have no idea what the titles are.
(4) If I decide I can't live without this, I'll take the L and pick up the box later. If I really want it, I won't mind paying extra if necessary.

Not to pile on or anything...

But THREE HUNDERD DOLLARS LOL

I thought box sets were supposed to be cheaper than buying each of the individual records at once? They're clearly just messing around with the format to see what works, almost seems like a (a very expensive) experiment marketed as a fully fleshed out premium product which it doesn't seem like they're capable of delivering. I'm not boycotting VMP by any means, I pick up the odd ROTM & exclusive, but this Anthology thing just seems a bit mad to me (no disrespect to anyone who wants it/is picking it up obviously)

VMP just paid attention in Econ 101:
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it." -Thomas Sowell

Just because many of us think them not telling us the titles is bullshit, and their FOMO marketing is infuriating, why would they change? The Blue Note one sold out in under 3 hours. Why would VMP think this Motown Anthology won't sell out as well? If people don't sell this one out instantly, hopefully they'll adjust the way they market the next one. But if it sells out in a day, they have no impetus to change.

Last edited:
Alright. I'm walking away from this box. Here's why:

(1) I can easily think of where I'd prefer to spend $270 more. (AKA my Discogs Wantlist).
(2) I just know they're going to fuck stuff up again.
(3) I have no idea what the titles are.
(4) If I decide I can't live without this, I'll take the L and pick up the box later. If I really want it, I won't mind paying extra if necessary.
2 further points along with this have finally after deliberation put me where you are:

5) The Motown In Mono box is $150 and I literally have had no interest in it, despite being AAA and Kevin Gray cuts, so why do I want to drop $265 on 8 LPs when I haven't been tempted to spend $150 on 5.
6) Realization that I've been around Motown my entire life and never really sough them out on my own, so why should I take the leap on the most expensive and possibly foolhardy way to do so?

Looks like a great product and I like the Women focus, but I just cannot get there when viewing this rationally even at $265 (much less $295).

Is VMP based on the west coast? Otherwise some poor IT guys are working past five today. That's the real tragedy here.

Well said, wmeugene. I'd add to that, Motown for me is a lot like jazz was for others. It all sounds remarkably similar with some minor variations. I could be just as content buying a good Motown greatest hits as I would paying 200% more and picking up these surprise titles.
I think the only Motown albums I have outside of the Christmas comp are Stevie Wonder. I need to get some Marvin Gaye but never get around to it. Maybe this can inspire me to get those and dig into others to see if I actually want them.

Or is including Tamla cheating? Not sure how that works. Maybe I should buy this set so storf can tell me in the podcast.

Back