Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I was able to grab 4 of the records from the Stax Anthology from a recent throwback Thursday. So far I’ve listened to Johnny Taylor- Raw Blues and Booker T & the MG’s- Soul Dressing. Raw Blues is a good album for sure but the recording isn’t that great.

Soul Dressing blew me away! It’s also a bit rough around the edges recording wise but it’s such a vibe that all is forgiven.

I also grabbed the Otis and the Albert King but haven’t listened to them yet.

For those that picked up the Stax Anthology, what are your favorites from the set?

I was able to grab 4 of the records from the Stax Anthology from a recent throwback Thursday. So far I’ve listened to Johnny Taylor- Raw Blues and Booker T & the MG’s- Soul Dressing. Raw Blues is a good album for sure but the recording isn’t that great.

Soul Dressing blew me away! It’s also a bit rough around the edges recording wise but it’s such a vibe that all is forgiven.

For those that picked up the Stax Anthology, what are your favorites from the set?
My favourites are Phases of Reality by William Bell and I’ll Play The Blues by Albert King. The Eddie Floyd is very enjoyable too.
But the William Bell is a revelation to me. It’s a very fine box so I think you’ve done well!

Albert King is amazing. I missed out on that one, then found one…but ended up giving it to someone else who missed out and has been down on their luck lately. I’m sure I’ll find a copy one of these days!

I can't find the Otis Redding or the two Quincy Jones albums I got (Body Heat and Walking in Space) listed separately.
Sorry, I meant the stax stuff mentioned earlier. I have the Otis and William Bell albums as non vmp and did not pick them up/ add them to discogs. (Likewise the quincy stuff did not catch me, so skipped it entirely)

It's criminal that it has not sold out. I love my Cadet box
Same it’s really incredible, might be my favorite VMP anthology to date.

No idea if there’ll even be a Black Friday sale this year but if you’re on the fence I say jump on it now. It was worth it at full price, it’s definitely worth it at 20% off.

next anthology will be a hip hop anthology, 9 albums 11LPs done by ciciley at AIR. its based on a city but not Atlanta or Houston, its apparently going to be more like zamrock than what they would do for something like cash money... expect it to be around the 350 range or something

next anthology will be a hip hop anthology, 9 albums 11LPs done by ciciley at AIR. its based on a city but not Atlanta or Houston, its apparently going to be more like zamrock than what they would do for something like cash money... expect it to be around the 350 range or something

NOLA?

@Delta Don you think that could work?

NYC

1-2 albums per Borough

also the miles davis podcast is not worth listening to.. there is basically no history and analysis and deep dive.. basically storf said "fuck it" and let the entire podcast be about making the box and what it was like working on it instead of analysis of the music.. they explained that it being AAA was why it was so expensive and how clay came up with the box but thats about it... also when he does the clue at the end he does an AAVE "man" in a way that is very cringe

also the miles davis podcast is not worth listening to.. there is basically no history and analysis and deep dive.. basically storf said "fuck it" and let the entire podcast be about making the box and what it was like working on it instead of analysis of the music.. they explained that it being AAA was why it was so expensive and how clay came up with the box but thats about it... also when he does the clue at the end he does an AAVE "man" in a way that is very cringe
Link is here:

I haven’t listened to it all yet. I don’t think every podcast needs to be an analysis of the music. There’s plenty of other historical reading about Miles. First episode features interviews with Miles’ nephew.

I don’t think every podcast needs to be an analysis of the music. There’s plenty of other historical reading about Miles. First episode features interviews with Miles’ nephew.
good point.. maybe i was disappointed because the idea of them explaining this music that as I mentioned in jazz confounds me (I still haven't listened to big fun or live evil, and bitches brew was confusing to me) was part of what would have drove me to buy it... also the nephew interview is pretty nice.. besides the fact that its storf in one ear and the nephew on the other one which is a pet peeve of mine

Back