Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Maybe the long rumored "more Fiona" comes in the form of an anthology...

Tidal
Pawn
EM
Idler Wheel
Some lost recordings album
A new album

Really? Like what? Just curious.
I bought a box of three special edition U2 albums and there was space for the fourth that I had to buy later. Sounds Delicious is going to have a box at some point. JNR retroactively created a box for their white series (though you had to buy it separately)

I'm in the same boat. I have a long way to go on my yearly sub unfortunately, but since the forum closed down I've realized just how little I've utilized VMP in the last year or so. If you don't count the FlyLo bundle, I can barely remember the last time I actually liked one of their exclusives enough to pay for it (I think it was Slowdive, which seems like eons ago). On top of that, I think I've kept maybe half of the AOTM and Classics offerings in the past year? I joined in 2015 and those early years were fantastic for me as far as curation goes, but it's been really lacking for quite a while. And with the alarming execution problems of "game changing" products like Anthology, I'm really really questioning the value of staying a member.

So basically they need to start showing me a noticeable uptick in membership value in my remaining subscription months. Otherwise, one or two gems a year isn't worth the hassle of selling half of my monthly boxes on Discogs because there's nothing left to swap for, and I'm not springing for the extra offerings like Anthology... I doubt it's going to happen though. It was great for me when CJ was the primary curator, but hasn't been at that level for a long time IMO. I just don't think I'm aligned enough with the musical tastes of Storf and whomever else is picking things these days.

Yep my thoughts exactly. I used to be on the forums all the time. I used to be so excited to hear what they were going to do next. My interaction with VMP has dropped off by a huge amount. Now every month my reaction is almost always, ehh. I was pretty excited for Queen, then my copy really doesn't sound great. I was also happy with the Fly lo and Van Morrison picks, but have any of those really been worth the price tag? As of now I'm leaning towards no. If they have a bunch of heavy hitters coming up I could change my mind, but they really have to be great picks with no major issues. As you said I'm definitely not putting up the coin for something like Anthology, especially with the quality control issues.

Yep my thoughts exactly. I used to be on the forums all the time. I used to be so excited to hear what they were going to do next. My interaction with VMP has dropped off by a huge amount. Now every month my reaction is almost always, ehh. I was pretty excited for Queen, then my copy really doesn't sound great. I was also happy with the Fly lo and Van Morrison picks, but have any of those really been worth the price tag? As of now I'm leaning towards no. If they have a bunch of heavy hitters coming up I could change my mind, but they really have to be great picks with no major issues. As you said I'm definitely not putting up the coin for something like Anthology, especially with the quality control issues.
I rejoined for Van Morrison because I got an offer that was get a free record if you rejoin now, so I grabbed Feist and Van Mo. Now, it seems that for the most part, a large majority of VMP records can be purchased from other people either on reddit or discogs for $23 or so. Unless there's some really huge release like Fiona or Channel Orange, I don't see myself going back anytime soon.

The pressings in Anthology have been really great. It's the attention to detail on all the other stuff that is frustrating (AKA anything that VMP was in charge of). I don't regret getting it, but I'm just disappointed with the whole experience because it could have been awesome.

I had a deeper listen to the Schizophrenia this morning. Man this is a really great album. I slept on it when bought the CD in high school. They really take some time to stretch the harmonies. In Kryptonite, Ron even stays on one note for Wayne’s and then into Herbie’s solo. It’s like he’s meditating. Finally Herbie prods him into action mid way through his solo.

I had a deeper listen to the Schizophrenia this morning. Man this is a really great album. I slept on it when bought the CD in high school. They really take some time to stretch the harmonies. In Kryptonite, Ron even stays on one note for Wayne’s and then into Herbie’s solo. It’s like he’s meditating. Finally Herbie prods him into action mid way through his solo.
It's one of my favorite jazz albums. It's a shame that it hasn't been repressed in 20 or so years prior to Anthology.

Back