Vinyl Me Please Anthology

If they do another anthology, they will have to drastically lower the price point to get people to buy it. Blue Note had an entire other non—VMP fan base built in. Not sure of many other fan bases that would spend $230-$280 on the box set of 6 albums of the roll out and errors are similar to this first batch. Jazz is the only genre that seems to regularly sell higher end audiophile pressings for $35-45 per LP.

I have 4 tone poet level pressings so far in a fancy box that I paid too much money for (about $38 per LP versus the $25-29 I've paid for my other tone poets).

That's how I view this one. Do I feel ripped off? Not really, but I do feel like I overpaid for what it is.
But to be fair, none of these are being pressed as Tone Poets. It’s why I got Anthology. These are mostly albums that haven’t been reissued in at least a decade. Now if BN announces represses of all these albums for the Tone Poet line, I’ll be pissed. If I were to try to buy other vinyl pressings of all six of these albums in NM or even VG+ shape, I’d likely be looking at more than $230.

But to be fair, none of these are being pressed as Tone Poets. It’s why I got Anthology. These are mostly albums that haven’t been reissued in at least a decade. Now if BN announces represses of all these albums for the Tone Poet line, I’ll be pissed. If I were to try to buy other vinyl pressings of all six of these albums in NM or even VG+ shape, I’d likely be looking at more than $230.
That’s why I don’t feel ripped off per se, but there isn’t anything that makes the released titles any better than tone poets which cost about $10 less per title. In fact the lack of gatefolds and the errors further highlight the lack of value here.

I appreciate the album choices and that’s the redeeming factor in all of this.

My thoughts with hindsight are that the anthology has been really overpriced, especially for international customers. I see why they are being compared to TPs but a closer comparison for me is VMPs own Classics. They are now AAA where available, pressed at a good plant, come with a tip-on sleeve (with no extra material) and are available as low as $23 when bought as an extra with shipping included. On an annual int'l sub, each month is $33 + $23 for an extra meaning each pair of records can be produced and shipped for $56, ergo all 6 could have been had for $168 at their existing price structure. That's $112 for a booklet and a box! So yeah, I feel like it was really overpriced based on their own existing price structure.

My thoughts with hindsight are that the anthology has been really overpriced, especially for international customers. I see why they are being compared to TPs but a closer comparison for me is VMPs own Classics. They are now AAA where available, pressed at a good plant, come with a tip-on sleeve (with no extra material) and are available as low as $23 when bought as an extra with shipping included. On an annual int'l sub, each month is $33 + $23 for an extra meaning each pair of records can be produced and shipped for $56, ergo all 6 could have been had for $168 at their existing price structure. That's $112 for a booklet and a box! So yeah, I feel like it was really overpriced based on their own existing price structure.

I was sold on the "extras" making up for the absurdly high per-LP price. But if you're just looking at per-LP, this box was incredibly overpriced. Although, @MikeH points out that these are all pretty rare records, so getting them in good shape outside of the anthology is going to be really pricey. I suspect these are going to be worth something going forward-- unless they repress them all again, then we just got ripped off. Personally though, I don't like thinking about a purchase in terms of resale value, considering I doubt I'll ever sell these. So yeah, this box was overpriced and VMP did NOT live up to their hype/promises. I'd do another box if the per-LP pricing was reasonable and I really wanted it but I won't ever hold my breath for an "experience" again.

If they do another anthology, they will have to drastically lower the price point to get people to buy it. Blue Note had an entire other non—VMP fan base built in. Not sure of many other fan bases that would spend $230-$280 on the box set of 6 albums of the roll out and errors are similar to this first batch. Jazz is the only genre that seems to regularly sell higher end audiophile pressings for $35-45 per LP.

I'd probably do $200 plus or minus 30ish for a good blues box.

I think the Anthology concept was great, I also think that the "Experience" was just hype. That hype should have been just as important as the pressings because my gut tells me these will be repressed individually in the future by Blue Note. BN is too big a company to put all their eggs in one basket on a potential profit stream with these pressings. I honestly hope I'm wrong but VMP collaborations of the past always seemed to have some sort of exclusive "window" attached to it.

Now if the experience was something truly special, well, now you have a selling point over just single releases.

Listening to the new podcast. They just barely graze the history of Blue Note and I wish they had gone into way more detail. Info about RVG and his process, how the company was sold a couple times through the late 60s-70s, the way the label changed, the way the pressing plants moved around, all that stuff is super interesting.

I think the Anthology concept was great, I also think that the "Experience" was just hype. That hype should have been just as important as the pressings because my gut tells me these will be repressed individually in the future by Blue Note. BN is too big a company to put all their eggs in one basket on a potential profit stream with these pressings. I honestly hope I'm wrong but VMP collaborations of the past always seemed to have some sort of exclusive "window" attached to it.

Now if the experience was something truly special, well, now you have a selling point over just single releases.
Well it’s interesting because these albums from Anthology mostly haven’t had reissues in 10+ years or have never been pressed in the case of Ambrose. I also would have to check but the other VMP BN records haven’t really had recent represses as far as I know (maybe Johnny Griffin did). So while yes, they often do repress “exclusive” VMP albums in wider pressings like Demon days, there are quite a few that haven’t gotten repressed like Fiona, Biggie, etc.

Speaking for myself, I went in on the box because of the album choices. Schizophrenia is one of my favorite BN albums and it has been very difficult to find in very good shape for under $50. I liked all the other albums as well. So I don’t necessarily feel ripped off but I am disappointed because the product could have been so much more and it just wasn’t due to laziness from VMP. Incorrect sleeves, wrong labels, handwritten number instead of foil printed, lack of original content on their “private members only forum”...had they delivered on all of that I would be in on round two depending on the label choice. But I find myself saying I won’t subscribe no matter what it is right now.

Well it’s interesting because these albums from Anthology mostly haven’t had reissues in 10+ years or have never been pressed in the case of Ambrose. I also would have to check but the other VMP BN records haven’t really had recent represses as far as I know (maybe Johnny Griffin did). So while yes, they often do repress “exclusive” VMP albums in wider pressings like Demon days, there are quite a few that haven’t gotten repressed like Fiona, Biggie, etc.

Speaking for myself, I went in on the box because of the album choices. Schizophrenia is one of my favorite BN albums and it has been very difficult to find in very good shape for under $50. I liked all the other albums as well. So I don’t necessarily feel ripped off but I am disappointed because the product could have been so much more and it just wasn’t due to laziness from VMP. Incorrect sleeves, wrong labels, handwritten number instead of foil printed, lack of original content on their “private members only forum”...had they delivered on all of that I would be in on round two depending on the label choice. But I find myself saying I won’t subscribe no matter what it is right now.
Agreed, that was my main point, if they made the experience truly special, it wouldn't matter if they did get reissued later. The Anthology series "seems" to be for the true die hard's of the genre or label, to which that "experience", done correctly, would have been well worth the price tag alone.

I saw a new black Demon Days yesterday for $27. It made me really glad that I sold my VMP for $150. FOMO is real.

I think VMP needs to understand that creating a Facebook page and having a staggered release schedule is not an experience. As usual, everything that they own, I.e. execution, was lacking. You can’t create a Facebook group and assume someone like @seeirwin was going to come in and do your work for you. Just like they shouldn’t expect the community they had to return when they build their new thing, nor should they expect a community like they had to be built under parameters. Honestly, they should let the community and experience line die with the old VMP. Let the new VMP be what it is.

Last edited:
I saw a new black Demon Days yesterday for $27. It made me really glad that I sold my VMP for $150. FOMO is real.
Yep. It got a general repress after about a year. I think you can still sell the red version for around $50, but I sort of wish I had flipped mine at the time too. Still mad that the VMP version has that stupid pause between Don't Get Lost in Heaven and Demon Days at the end...

Back