Vinyl Me Please Anthology

This might be a similar situation to GD. It's gunna be for people who literally have zero Hancock albums.
Omg, imagine if Herbie Hancock’s Prisoner or My Point of View we’re in the Boxset! That would be so bad because both those albums got the Tone Poet treatment (Kevin Gray, 180g and pressed at RTI)! The BlueNote80 for Takin’ Off also sounds superb! I don’t have the BlueNote80 for Inventions & Dimensions, but I imagine that pressing also sounds superb!

None of those 4 Herbie Hancock albums should be in the Boxset! An absolute waste if any of them end up being in the Boxset!

This is the funny thing about these anthology's, they sound fantastic to people that are big fans but then the likelihood is that they already own a lot of them. Im a massive Herbie fan (seeing him live was one of the best gigs of last year for me) and have held off on getting some of his stuff since this was announced, but even if there is 1 in there which I already own it will drive the 'price' of the others up to a point where its too much for me (I think that makes sense?)

Yah look at the Dead. Who is so into the dead that they'd spend that much money AND ALSO not own that music?

I assume its just the handful of completists. And if thats who your box is for you should prolly only press like100-200 of them.

Yah look at the Dead. Who is so into the dead that they'd spend that much money AND ALSO not own that music?

I assume its just the handful of completists. And if thats who your box is for you should prolly only press like100-200 of them.
Wonder how many of these they've pressed. I can't imagine Blue Note would let them anywhere near anything they own if they're keeping Tone Poets going. They might press low but price high to try and make back some of the GD loss

I would say Blue Note won't redo something they've already done in the 75th anniversary run but One Flight Up by Dexter Gordon will be a Tone Poet next year. It was released in 2015 on the 140 gram vinyl they were putting out then.

I'd imagine these Anthology records will be pressed on colored vinyl.

Herbie's one of those artists where even if you can't get the anthology, I think they'll always be an opportunity to pick up the records at some point.

He's just too massive. If the label thinks there's demand for something they'll see the opportunity to make money.

His discography is also insane, and I feel like almost every other jazz record I pick up these days has him featured or someone doing a cover of him.

Given the amount of options out there, I'm pretty satisfied to "build my own box" over time and don't need a "curated anthology". I'm a big fan of his work but for this reason I'm out.

Herbie's one of those artists where even if you can't get the anthology, I think they'll always be an opportunity to pick up the records at some point.

He's just too massive. If the label thinks there's demand for something they'll see the opportunity to make money.

His discography is also insane, and I feel like almost every other jazz record I pick up these days has him featured or someone doing a cover of him.

Given the amount of options out there, I'm pretty satisfied to "build my own box" over time and don't need a "curated anthology". I'm a big fan of his work but for this reason I'm out.

I'm already leaning toward this too. Herbie stiff is so available,it'll be hard to justify spending $350 or whatever it'll be. We will see what's in the box and what the price is but I'm definitely not automatically buying.

Or me, someone who has none but wanted to get into them and saw an opportunity to pretty much cover all my AAA GD bases in one shot (after also adding Allah and Mars Mofi). But aside from me there's probably about... 20 other people who are in the same boat. So I'm not sure what the plan was for the other 7480 copies.

Or me, someone who has none but wanted to get into them and saw an opportunity to pretty much cover all my AAA GD bases in one shot (after also adding Allah and Mars Mofi). But aside from me there's probably about... 20 other people who are in the same boat. So I'm not sure what the plan was for the other 7480 copies.

I've been toying with it in and off. My copy of WMD is ropey and my American Beauty not far behind but that price is insane. Wonder if the Herbie discount code will work on the Dead box

I've been toying with it in and off. My copy of WMD is ropey and my American Beauty not far behind but that price is insane. Wonder if the Herbie discount code will work on the Dead box
I'm pretty sure the WMD and AB Mofi 2 LP45s are both getting repressed. Just grab those. I can't speak to them directly but the Allah and Mars Mofi are both superb.

Yeah the biggest issue for me is I don't have Empyrean Isles and my copy of Maiden isn't great. And it would cost about $400 CAD just to get a good recent AAA pressing of those two.
The Music Matters Maiden Voyage suffers from the dreaded (but overblown on a certain forum) warble and is taken from a second gen tape. Look for a Toshiba pressing that was later and is from a small series they did which reproduced the original sleeve and inner down to every detail, even the label, and shows no Toshiba identification anywhere. Then you will be done for Maiden Voyage!

The Music Matters Maiden Voyage suffers from the dreaded (but overblown on a certain forum) warble and is taken from a second gen tape. Look for a Toshiba pressing that was later and is from a small series they did which reproduced the original sleeve and inner down to every detail, even the label, and shows no Toshiba identification anywhere. Then you will be done for Maiden Voyage!
Thanks for that info, I didn't know about that warble although god knows I've certainly seen the chatter on THAT forum regarding various Tone Poet releases that may or may not suffer from it. I was looking at that very Toshiba earlier today and wondering about the quality. Right now the only copy on cogs that would make sense is $100 CAD shipped, which I think is a bit high. But I'm going to keep my eyes open for that one for sure, hopefully find it around $80 or less...

EDIT - Actually there are a couple of "promo" copies for sale at a more reasonable price oddly enough...

Last edited:
Yeah the cheapest Toshiba Maiden is currently $100 shipped. That's too much.
I know its a moot point when we are talking about a rare occurrence, but OG's do occasionally pop up decent price if lucky. I got my OG Maiden Voyage (which sounds insanely good, certainly a VG+) for less than $100 a year ago now, so it is possible.

Have a look at the King pressing as well, which looks to be 1977. King tends to be better than Toshiba anyway and there looks to be some on there which you can get direct from Japan for $13 (VG+ as well!)

The Music Matters Maiden Voyage suffers from the dreaded (but overblown on a certain forum) warble and is taken from a second gen tape.
Never heard this on my copy, but haven't really listened for it, either (plus, I'm probably not as "discerning" as the SHF types, lol). Do you know offhand where it is supposedly most noticeable?

I'm pretty sure the WMD and AB Mofi 2 LP45s are both getting repressed. Just grab those. I can't speak to them directly but the Allah and Mars Mofi are both superb.
Yep—both are awaiting repress. If they are on Music Direct’s site, they will be getting a repress! That’s the general consensus, otherwise they are OOP.

Back