Vinyl Me Please Anthology

If AS was smart (or VMP), they would break up the sets. Without A Net and Europe 72, for example, would sell out at $100 and Reckoning for $70 which would leave you only needing to get $36 for the other 5 albums to get your 450.
If AS sold Workman's Dead and American Beauty for $40 a piece, I would totally buy those. My favorite Dead albums and my old copies are beat up.

If AS sold Workman's Dead and American Beauty for $40 a piece, I would totally buy those. My favorite Dead albums and my old copies are beat up.
I was lucky to grab the Rhino reissues of these a few years back - they sound great - and I have a very good original pressing of Europe 72, so I'm set there. What I could really use is a nice (reasonably priced) reissue of "Skull & Roses", however...

I was lucky to grab the Rhino reissues of these a few years back - they sound great - and I have a very good original pressing of Europe 72, so I'm set there. What I could really use is a nice (reasonably priced) reissue of "Skull & Roses", however...
Haven't they been releasing 50th Anniversary versions of every album? I just picked up Workingman's, I assume American Beauty is next, and then Skull and Roses would be due sometime next year, right?

Haven't they been releasing 50th Anniversary versions of every album? I just picked up Workingman's, I assume American Beauty is next, and then Skull and Roses would be due sometime next year, right?
Aren’t the vinyl 50th anniversary releases only picture disks?

I think some of them were, but not all. For Workingman's I got a colored variant (I think it was called 'oil spill,' it's brown and black and matches the cover quite well) but I believe it came in black too.
Oh yeah, my bad. I remember the first few were only picture discs, but now I remember the Dead.net exclusive.

The crazy part is that Storf admitted that VMP came very near insolvency in the early days when they ordered way too many copies of Big Bill and Sabbath. Several years later and they decide 7000+ is a good number for an extremely overpriced boxset where the value is worth probably less than half of their sticker price. You just can’t fix stupid sometimes.

The amount of hubris in this company is staggering. To think more than one person thought they could move anything close to 7000 units of this boggles the mind.

Nah, totally explainable: they have no deadheads on staff. From the outside, if you're not a deadhead, you just see a rabid fanbase that immediately buys up every record that a band that's been broken up since 1995 has put out. But apparently no one noticed that the dead stuff that sells is aimed at their audience: exclusive stuff that hasn't been re-re-re-released 10 times. It's "we finally made a copy of that show you went to in '74 available for purchase. Also, here's an $800 box set of every show that month. Also, here is that one show everyone says is as good as europe 72, with a better 'morning dew'" What it isn't is not "American Beauty, again, but pressed on a primary color". If you want high quality dead stuff, there's mofi presses and the new reissues are honestly pretty great. If you want box sets, the dead have at least 2 vinyl box sets of their studio stuff and countless live sets.

If they had to put out a box of studio albums, a box that had the stuff that wasn't in the Warner Box (GD, anthem, aoxomoxoa, workingman's, AB) or the RSD box (flood, Mars, blues, SYF) would have been very, very welcome. A box with terrapin, shakedown, go to heaven, in the dark and built to last? Not their best IMO but it would be nice to have it all in once place. Or a box of their "official" live albums (live/dead, europe 72, skull/roses, bear's, deadset, reckoning, without a net). Something like that would have absolutely flown off the shelf, especially with an exclusive like WAN. You could have sold it with no box, held together with a rubber band and a hemp string that smells suspiciously of patchouli.

The anthology as-is is an obvious and transparent money-grab perpetrated by someone who is not a fan or who doesn't give a damn about fans.

Nah, totally explainable: they have no deadheads on staff. From the outside, if you're not a deadhead, you just see a rabid fanbase that immediately buys up every record that a band that's been broken up since 1995 has put out. But apparently no one noticed that the dead stuff that sells is aimed at their audience: exclusive stuff that hasn't been re-re-re-released 10 times. It's "we finally made a copy of that show you went to in '74 available for purchase. Also, here's an $800 box set of every show that month. Also, here is that one show everyone says is as good as europe 72, with a better 'morning dew'" What it isn't is not "American Beauty, again, but pressed on a primary color". If you want high quality dead stuff, there's mofi presses and the new reissues are honestly pretty great. If you want box sets, the dead have at least 2 vinyl box sets of their studio stuff and countless live sets.

If they had to put out a box of studio albums, a box that had the stuff that wasn't in the Warner Box (GD, anthem, aoxomoxoa, workingman's, AB) or the RSD box (flood, Mars, blues, SYF) would have been very, very welcome. A box with terrapin, shakedown, go to heaven, in the dark and built to last? Not their best IMO but it would be nice to have it all in once place. Or a box of their "official" live albums (live/dead, europe 72, skull/roses, bear's, deadset, reckoning, without a net). Something like that would have absolutely flown off the shelf, especially with an exclusive like WAN. You could have sold it with no box, held together with a rubber band and a hemp string that smells suspiciously of patchouli.

The anthology as-is is an obvious and transparent money-grab perpetrated by someone who is not a fan or who doesn't give a damn about fans.
Both of your box ideas would have made me consider buying it. They really should have worked out a deal for some archival release that had never been released on vinyl before.

Back