Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Yea—agree. Ghostly is also just color versions of other pressings too so that one in particular wasn’t worth the price. Blue Note might be the only one so far IMO that was worth the price. Similar pressings of those albums in good shape would have cost me more than the box And one release has never been on vinyl.

I probably won’t buy this box unless it’s around $250 and includes some of the albums I was going to seek out on MoFi anyway. And if there’s something in there that’s exclusive, I’m sure I could get my money back if I decide to sell it later.
Yeah, I have the Blue Note, and despite the issues, I like it. I am planning on getting the Herbie Hancock. Hopefully there is not too much overlap with what I have, and even then they should be better quality.

I'd also throw in One From The Vault and Red Rocks '78. But Europe '72 will always be my favorite, and Cornell '77 is a great SBD and approachable show for new listeners.

Edited to include the Red Rocks show because that's where I started. Was familiar with Workingman's Dead and American Beauty, but one day just decided to throw on that show and it hooked me immediately. The Bertha opener is so fun and it's a great setlist. Definitely check that one out.
Red Rocks 78 would make a solid vinyl release. And there were multiple Red Rocks shows that year, the reference is to 7/8/78.

Not sure The Grateful Dead is a rabbit hole I want to go down! If I wanted to try getting into them I'm not sure I need to go straight to an overpriced box set as a starting point but maybe I'm wrong, who knows? If it's under $100 I might think about it
For less than $100, go buy the Rhino pressings of Live/Dead, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty (should cost you about 60-75) and sample some live shows from different eras on the Internet Archive or streaming, and then go from there.

I opted for that Pacific Northwest Boxset and I love it. Definitely spin the CDs more than I would've just the Portland show, and yeah having a multi disk changer is the best for that. Same goes for Phish; while I enjoy Phish studio vinyl and the quality of them, the live stuff is hard to listen to in full on vinyl. I'd rather just listen to LivePhish CD releases without having to turn it over and lose the transitions.

At the end of the day, live jamming is real tough to translate to vinyl.
Yeah, I have the CD box set, and it gets way more playtime. With Phish I mainly use the Live Phish app, it is just easier to stream those shows. The only Phish vinyl I spin is a live one, which as a comp lends itself to spinning and flipping better than a full show I agree that the Red Rocks 78 is fantastic and is a fun, loose version of the band.

Not sure The Grateful Dead is a rabbit hole I want to go down! If I wanted to try getting into them I'm not sure I need to go straight to an overpriced box set as a starting point but maybe I'm wrong, who knows? If it's under $100 I might think about it
Agree it's probably not the best initial dive, but I'm in the same predicament as you. I might try to find the Rhino pressings as @wmeugene said and go from there. I have a lot of them as high-res FLAC as well right now and beefed up my digital setup at home but if its something I find myself listening to a ton, might just buy the albums individually.

Agree it's probably not the best initial dive, but I'm in the same predicament as you. I might try to find the Rhino pressings as @wmeugene said and go from there. I have a lot of them as high-res FLAC as well right now and beefed up my digital setup at home but if its something I find myself listening to a ton, might just buy the albums individually.
The Rhino Live Dead sounds really good. I have thr MoFis of the others I recommended and they of course sound amazing, but at 50 bucks a pop I don't know if I can recommend for someone jumping in.

Honestly, I just cannot imagine Dave or the Dead opening the vault to something juicy outside of a Dead.net release. With there being 4 studio and 4 live LPs, my guess is its some sort of assorted compilations. But I cannot see them doing a full show, which would be 5 LPs easily.

Smells like a box to get new listeners IMO, and VMP is probably a good place to start because there's a lot of FOMO and hype involved.
If there are 7,500 maybe it will also be sold via Dead.net, didn’t Ghostly sell copies of their box via their online store?

I find it extremely unlikely that this set will include a previously unreleased live show. Putting out previously unreleased albums has not been the MO for Anthology (or VMP at all really with a few exceptions, e.g. Nat Turner), and the description posted earlier said 4 studio albums, 4 live albums. That sounds like a pre-existing live album to me, not a live show that VMP is releasing for the first time as an album.

New here, Hi!

I've recently (past year or so) gotten pretty big into the Dead (thanks Time Crisis!) I only have Dick's Picks 24, Saints of Circumstance and GarciaLive Vol 1 on vinyl, so anything in this set will be welcome. I'm hitting refresh and hoping to score on this, as I've seen how quickly 20k copies of something can go on dead.net... I don't expect this to last too long.

New here, Hi!

I've recently (past year or so) gotten pretty big into the Dead (thanks Time Crisis!) I only have Dick's Picks 24, Saints of Circumstance and GarciaLive Vol 1 on vinyl, so anything in this set will be welcome. I'm hitting refresh and hoping to score on this, as I've seen how quickly 20k copies of something can go on dead.net... I don't expect this to last too long.

When you see a 20k pressing of Dave's Picks sell out fast on dead remember that they didn't put 20k up for sale, they pressed 20k and they are selling the leftovers after all the subscribers orders are filled.

When you see a 20k pressing of Dave's Picks sell out fast on dead remember that they didn't put 20k up for sale, they pressed 20k and they are selling the leftovers after all the subscribers orders are filled.
We’re also talking about a 30 dollar CD that is almost certainly the only time the show will get an official release and not even be available on streaming services afterwards. Not a 300 dollar box set with previously released material you can hear for free on Spotify

Isn't that scarier for this release though? A large chunk of those 20k are people who will spend $120 on a subscription for titles not even announced yet.

I think the smartest move is to do audiophile editions of albums that haven't seen a recent MoFi release (which eliminates everything between Workingman's and Blues for Allah). Would also love the curveball they could throw of putting Bob Weir's Ace in, which is the Dead in everything but name and Grateful Dead Productions owns the rights to IIRC.

Something like:
Anthem Of The Sun
Ace
Terrapin Station
In The Dark

For the live archival releases, both Live Dead and Skulls & Roses have seen recent MoFis.

I think the best reception they could receive that is realistic and not duplicate eras above, would be:
Fillmore East 2-11-69
Europe '72
Reckoning
Without A Net

That is a 15 lp set.

For opening the Bobby gate, you're getting Heaven Help The Fool

Back