Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I mean, I guess, but there is no chance of VMP taking over all vinyl.
Right, there is not. Amazon have already done that, with Chad holding the audiophile part close to some extent.

I suspect that, although VC funded, VMP has to turn a profit. But the Anthology series looks like a marquee product intended to boost the brand, and as such intended to sell steady over the long term rather than an intense, short period like most releases.

Any further thoughts on VMP's part in the ever-increasing retail cost of vinyl across the board? Have they not intentionally stoked the current flames of specialty/exclusive and "limited" releases? While clearly seeing the secondary market for many of their releases, which often includes prices at double -- and sometimes much, much higher -- the original price from VMP?
Just based on watching their business since 2015, I think they're making real profit. Their prices have increased way more than other retailers, and prices keep going up. Folks seem to be paying.

Sorry to digress. I know this is the "Anthology" thread. Maybe this conversation exists elsewhere on N&G.

Anyways, I might buy the Memphis Rap Box? I've got about half the VMP Anthology box sets, and have really enjoyed them all. I'm one of those folks that is annoyed (in general by VMP), but doesn't really care about the cost. Maybe wait to hear some opinions on this one...

Any further thoughts on VMP's part in the ever-increasing retail cost of vinyl across the board? Have they not intentionally stoked the current flames of specialty/exclusive and "limited" releases? While clearly seeing the secondary market for many of their releases, which often includes prices at double -- and sometimes much, much higher -- the original price from VMP?
Just based on watching their business since 2015, I think they're making real profit. Their prices have increased way more than other retailers, and prices keep going up. Folks seem to be paying.

Sorry to digress. I know this is the "Anthology" thread. Maybe this conversation exists elsewhere on N&G.

Anyways, I might buy the Memphis Rap Box? I've got about half the VMP Anthology box sets, and have really enjoyed them all. I'm one of those folks that is annoyed (in general by VMP), but doesn't really care about the cost. Maybe wait to hear some opinions on this one...
Every vinyl company pushes the FOMO since they realized how much it sells. And most have raised prices in the past few years again. Newbury Comics is the first company I remember really pushing limited color variants years and years ago. They now flip their OWN records in their stores. $40 single LPs are becoming normalized but it's not just because of VMP. AP and MoFi helped set the $40 price tag (buy now cry later! fuck chad!), then other companies jumped on that regardless of specs and try to take advantage of people not really knowing much about the pressing process. Lots of generic GZ cuts out there now selling for $40+ under the guise of being limited, or being a title that was badly in need of a reissue and the labels phoned it in. @RHANDMJ can tell you about how Amazon caused vinyl prices to go up across the board.

I will say by and large, VMP is actually spending the money on improving the records. I've been a member on and off since their 2nd year in business. They've gone from generic GZ cuts to doing a majority AAA cut by top engineers, nice jackets, etc. I don't think that pressing at GZ was necessarily a price choice--I think they primarily had to do that just to meet deadlines with the numbers of ROTM they were pressing. QRP mostly stopped pressing for other companies (and VMP stole their plant manager for their own plant), RTI was backed up like crazy, Pallas was having issues, etc.

I'll be very curious how the VMP plant goes. I'm rooting for it to succeed because it will be great to have another good pressing plant out there. As for anthologies, I've always seen this as their pet project and most companies have those. I'm sure they know the financials and how many they need to sell to break even. I know people made fun of them for the Grateful Dead box set, but they did end up selling it out and the demand was there for them to repress it. I'm not saying that this Memphis rap set will sell out anytime soon, but I don't think they ever expected this one to sell out day 1.

The Anthologies are a curious one because many of them do not sell out and they must be losing "profit" on them every day with warehousing costs. But I doubt they would keep making them if they are real big money losers. It seems they have them planned out for at least the next year knowing full well that the majority of them don't sell out quickly at all. I do think they made a mistake putting some in swaps awhile ago because now everyone assumes that every set is going to end up in swaps eventually.

VMP still has a bunch of issues to work out but I do think they have mostly improved in a lot of areas even from a few years ago. They also pretty constantly have coupon codes or offers to bring the prices down on subscriptions and items in their store. Like right now you can get a referral for $80 off a yearly subscription PLUS 8 free records which drastically brings the price down for members (something like $18 per album). They do also seem to be trying to pilot a loyalty program of sorts and giving bigger discounts on sales to people who have remained members for a long time. They did those regional hip hop sales last month and I think you could get up to 40% off if you've been a member for over 2 years or something.

Every vinyl company pushes the FOMO since they realized how much it sells. And most have raised prices in the past few years again. Newbury Comics is the first company I remember really pushing limited color variants years and years ago. They now flip their OWN records in their stores. $40 single LPs are becoming normalized but it's not just because of VMP. AP and MoFi helped set the $40 price tag (buy now cry later! fuck chad!), then other companies jumped on that regardless of specs and try to take advantage of people not really knowing much about the pressing process. Lots of generic GZ cuts out there now selling for $40+ under the guise of being limited, or being a title that was badly in need of a reissue and the labels phoned it in. @RHANDMJ can tell you about how Amazon caused vinyl prices to go up across the board.

I will say by and large, VMP is actually spending the money on improving the records. I've been a member on and off since their 2nd year in business. They've gone from generic GZ cuts to doing a majority AAA cut by top engineers, nice jackets, etc. I don't think that pressing at GZ was necessarily a price choice--I think they primarily had to do that just to meet deadlines with the numbers of ROTM they were pressing. QRP mostly stopped pressing for other companies (and VMP stole their plant manager for their own plant), RTI was backed up like crazy, Pallas was having issues, etc.

I'll be very curious how the VMP plant goes. I'm rooting for it to succeed because it will be great to have another good pressing plant out there. As for anthologies, I've always seen this as their pet project and most companies have those. I'm sure they know the financials and how many they need to sell to break even. I know people made fun of them for the Grateful Dead box set, but they did end up selling it out and the demand was there for them to repress it. I'm not saying that this Memphis rap set will sell out anytime soon, but I don't think they ever expected this one to sell out day 1.

The Anthologies are a curious one because many of them do not sell out and they must be losing "profit" on them every day with warehousing costs. But I doubt they would keep making them if they are real big money losers. It seems they have them planned out for at least the next year knowing full well that the majority of them don't sell out quickly at all. I do think they made a mistake putting some in swaps awhile ago because now everyone assumes that every set is going to end up in swaps eventually.

VMP still has a bunch of issues to work out but I do think they have mostly improved in a lot of areas even from a few years ago. They also pretty constantly have coupon codes or offers to bring the prices down on subscriptions and items in their store. Like right now you can get a referral for $80 off a yearly subscription PLUS 8 free records which drastically brings the price down for members (something like $18 per album). They do also seem to be trying to pilot a loyalty program of sorts and giving bigger discounts on sales to people who have remained members for a long time. They did those regional hip hop sales last month and I think you could get up to 40% off if you've been a member for over 2 years or something.

People are beta testing the loyalty program?

As a 6? 7? Year member I sure hope so haha
It’s consecutive membership just FYI. Not if you joined 6 years ago and then stopped a year ago, for example. I’ve been a member on and off since I think the 2nd year VMP was around but have been a member consecutively for only a year or so and my discount was 30% off last time on select RHH titles. They seemed to do a little test of it when they did those regional RHH sales a month or so ago.

It’s consecutive membership just FYI. Not if you joined 6 years ago and then stopped a year ago, for example. I’ve been a member on and off since I think the 2nd year VMP was around but have been a member consecutively for only a year or so and my discount was 30% off last time on select RHH titles. They seemed to do a little test of it when they did those regional RHH sales a month or so ago.

Yeah my membership has never lapsed. Maybe I got the email and didn't read it close enough

Thanks for that thoughtful summary. I was a VMP member of the main track from 2016 through 2022, and for the first 5 years of RHH and Classics. I'm almost 100% psyched about all of those records, and agree that their output provides a welcomed quality product. I too appreciate the effort in putting out great sounding records with quality packages and supporting content. You're right-on about that. And getting another pressing plant into the world, and generally helping the vinyl vibe stoke.
I guess I just got annoyed by the upward spiral of price, and the emphasis on exclusivity and limited pressings, etc. It seems like the other companies in that similar vein (Analogue Productions, MoFi) just put out quality product without the qualifiers and fluff (I would be happy to never see another colored vinyl variant).
Still am really interested to see what they're putting out, but I'm mostly looking on from the sidelines. But here I am writing about it all in a forum!

I do love box sets though. Excited for the Impulse set to arrive someday, and to hear how this Memphis set gets embraced.

Thanks for that thoughtful summary. I was a VMP member of the main track from 2016 through 2022, and for the first 5 years of RHH and Classics. I'm almost 100% psyched about all of those records, and agree that their output provides a welcomed quality product. I too appreciate the effort in putting out great sounding records with quality packages and supporting content. You're right-on about that. And getting another pressing plant into the world, and generally helping the vinyl vibe stoke.
I guess I just got annoyed by the upward spiral of price, and the emphasis on exclusivity and limited pressings, etc. It seems like the other companies in that similar vein (Analogue Productions, MoFi) just put out quality product without the qualifiers and fluff (I would be happy to never see another colored vinyl variant).
Still am really interested to see what they're putting out, but I'm mostly looking on from the sidelines. But here I am writing about it all in a forum!

I do love box sets though. Excited for the Impulse set to arrive someday, and to hear how this Memphis set gets embraced.
Chad at Acoustic Sounds regularly pushes FOMO. They literally sell a t-shirt that says BUY NOW or CRY LATER on it.

MoFi doesn't do it as much but the majority of their stuff is limited to a number and they do talk about that quite a lot. They also used to do really small restocks instead of full scale represses to drive FOMO but it's very possible that was just due to RTI's backlog. FOMO is pretty much an industry-wide sales tactic now.

The upward spiral in price is definitely a lot though and it was really sudden. I imagine they are having trouble with it which is why they keep offering bonuses and discounts to new members, or something like the 8 free records to resubscribe thing. The $80 referral bonus now is kinda crazy too.

Chad at Acoustic Sounds regularly pushes FOMO. They literally sell a t-shirt that says BUY NOW or CRY LATER on it.

MoFi doesn't do it as much but the majority of their stuff is limited to a number and they do talk about that quite a lot. They also used to do really small restocks instead of full scale represses to drive FOMO but it's very possible that was just due to RTI's backlog. FOMO is pretty much an industry-wide sales tactic now.

The upward spiral in price is definitely a lot though and it was really sudden. I imagine they are having trouble with it which is why they keep offering bonuses and discounts to new members, or something like the 8 free records to resubscribe thing. The $80 referral bonus now is kinda crazy too.
But that’s venture capitalism to a tee. How about sustainable pricing that creates growth and higher profits? When has anyone ever complained because a price went down? “Oh man? You mean my $50 record now costs $25???!!!??? OUTRAGEOUS!! I’m calling my senator!”

But that’s venture capitalism to a tee. How about sustainable pricing that creates growth and higher profits? When has anyone ever complained because a price went down? “Oh man? You mean my $50 record now costs $25???!!!??? OUTRAGEOUS!! I’m calling my senator!”
oh yea. most is driven by greed and the need to please investors. with vinyl, everybody wants higher cuts of everything since its in a bit of a boom. i'm not shocked VMP raised prices. even the labels that own the rights are charging more these days.

i'd love to see sustainable pricing in vinyl but i think it's a pipe dream. Jackpot is probably the closest now with their AAA reissues at $25/piece but they need to do cheap jackets to hit that price point it seems and then people complain about the jackets being not nice enough. interestingly, KG said that Stoughton has lowered their prices on jackets recently but i doubt we see those savings passed down.

prices usually come down when there's more competition, but it seems like there's almost some price fixing going on with labels like AP and MoFi. As soon as one raises their price, the other raises theirs the same amount.

oh yea. most is driven by greed and the need to please investors. with vinyl, everybody wants higher cuts of everything since its in a bit of a boom. i'm not shocked VMP raised prices. even the labels that own the rights are charging more these days.

i'd love to see sustainable pricing in vinyl but i think it's a pipe dream. Jackpot is probably the closest now with their AAA reissues at $25/piece but they need to do cheap jackets to hit that price point it seems and then people complain about the jackets being not nice enough. interestingly, KG said that Stoughton has lowered their prices on jackets recently but i doubt we see those savings passed down.

prices usually come down when there's more competition, but it seems like there's almost some price fixing going on with labels like AP and MoFi. As soon as one raises their price, the other raises theirs the same amount.
No surprise, but I'm loving the Jackpot stuff and am happy to pay $15 less a record for a non-gatefold jacket with a record that sounds as good as these have.

Back