Vinyl Me Please Anthology

I really, really love the Cadet box, but the Miles box is straight amazing. It was honestly like listening to a brand new IASW. BB and JJ have a real clear separation of instruments that I haven't heard in other recordings. I'm still working my way through the rest of the box. My copy of IASW had a small tic on shhhh / beautiful, but CS replaced it within 3 days. Fastest shipping I've ever seen. (I am PIF'ing the defect version, which aside from that <1 minute section, sounds incredible.)

Hey all, I'm contemplating flipping my four Miles Davis MoFis (and using some credit) and buying the Miles Anthology before my membership lapses at the end of the month. Almost all the reviews for the Miles Davis set I've read have been positive, but has anyone on here A-B'd the VMP Miles Davis titles with the MoFis? Anyone have neutral or negative feedback on the set? Also, any Canadians pick it up? Did you get hit with duty / DHL charges? Thanks.

There are some A/B reviews on the discogs page where the general consensus is VMP bests MoFi. That also seems to be the opinion of folks in the VMP discord as well. I didn't have any MoFis so I can't personally vouch, but I will say they do sound pretty amazing on the whole.

My copy of In a Silent Way had some crackling but I'm hoping I had put it on the turntable too soon after running it through my Spin Clean. I gave it another cleaning and will listen to it again tomorrow to see if it's any better. Assuming it is, this will also be my first VMP Anthology that didn't need any replacements (I needed two on Cadet and god knows how many for Herbie)

Hey all, I'm contemplating flipping my four Miles Davis MoFis (and using some credit) and buying the Miles Anthology before my membership lapses at the end of the month. Almost all the reviews for the Miles Davis set I've read have been positive, but has anyone on here A-B'd the VMP Miles Davis titles with the MoFis? Anyone have neutral or negative feedback on the set? Also, any Canadians pick it up? Did you get hit with duty / DHL charges? Thanks.
Didn’t Miles but I got nailed with duty and taxes for Cadet. $80-$100 but can’t quite remember the amount. Was definitely above $80

I remember costing it out with exchange. I think the Cadet box cost me just $500 after everything. Thankfully I had a bit of VMP credit so that softened the blow a bit but not much. Will never buy another anthology sadly, just too pricey.

Didn’t Miles but I got nailed with duty and taxes for Cadet. $80-$100 but can’t quite remember the amount. Was definitely above $80

I remember costing it out with exchange. I think the Cadet box cost me just $500 after everything. Thankfully I had a bit of VMP credit so that softened the blow a bit but not much. Will never buy another anthology sadly, just too pricey.
that's a huge shame, but completely understandable; it would probably go a lot better for their international sales if they found some way to soften the blow of import duties and extra shipping, even if it was "international members discount" or something. the free shipping has always been a huge draw for non-USians. Lots of folks outside the US are very vocal about the price being a big consideration, because of the "extra" charges tacked on.

that's a huge shame, but completely understandable; it would probably go a lot better for their international sales if they found some way to soften the blow of import duties and extra shipping, even if it was "international members discount" or something. the free shipping has always been a huge draw for non-USians. Lots of folks outside the US are very vocal about the price being a big consideration, because of the "extra" charges tacked on.
Yup definitely hurts. They used to charge Canucks $50 to cover shipping and duties but they realized they were losing money on this. So now they just $20 extra for shipping and declare full value on the box.

I might be in the minority and like the MoFi IASW better still but need to properly sit down and do an A/B. Still haven’t had time to finish cleaning and sit down with all the albums. IASW was by far my favorite MoFi. The others I’ve spun so far from VMP have been excellent

I had mofi IASW and sold it. I have the mofi OTC and have not done an a/b yet. I much prefer the vmp box over other versions i've heard (although iasw and otc were the only two specifically mofi versions -- other versions i've heard were well-regarded but not super fancy/expensive presses of BB/LE, a MOV of get up etc)

I played IASW three times in a row when I first put it on, to give you an idea. I didn't know that record sounded like that, and I've had versions of it for something like 20 years.

I had mofi IASW and sold it. I have the mofi OTC and have not done an a/b yet. I much prefer the vmp box over other versions i've heard (although iasw and otc were the only two specifically mofi versions -- other versions i've heard were well-regarded but not super fancy/expensive presses of BB/LE, a MOV of get up etc)
up until the VMP box, the MoFi IASW was the only MoFi that was the "definitive" copy to me. I had an OG and a few other copies over the years and the MoFi won hands down. The other MoFis are a closer call and I can see why some people don't love the MoFi sound on them. i'm pretty sure i have all the MoFis that are in this box so will eventually have to sit down with it all to compare!

up until the VMP box, the MoFi IASW was the only MoFi that was the "definitive" copy to me. I had an OG and a few other copies over the years and the MoFi won hands down. The other MoFis are a closer call and I can see why some people don't love the MoFi sound on them. i'm pretty sure i have all the MoFis that are in this box so will eventually have to sit down with it all to compare!
The VMP IASW and MOFI IASW both sound fantastic. To my ears, the VMP slightly edges it, but only in certain passages. Honestly, it's hard to say one is "better" which is exactly why I don't need both, so I'm selling the MOFI.

The VMP IASW and MOFI IASW both sound fantastic. To my ears, the VMP slightly edges it, but only in certain passages. Honestly, it's hard to say one is "better" which is exactly why I don't need both, so I'm selling the MOFI.
This is probably what I will end up doing...

who am i kidding. i'll keep both like I always do and just never listen to one of them :(

This is probably what I will end up doing...

who am i kidding. i'll keep both like I always do and just never listen to one of them :(

Tbh that’s one of my hesitations with getting the VMP set, that the MoFis will then just take up space on my shelf. That happened with my AP Headhunters after I got the Herbie box.

its apparently going to cost around 275 dollars to get if you're a member and will feature mostly albums that have never been on vinyl with ciciley from AIR doing the mastering

Last edited:
Back