Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Big if true.
It is true. I have 5-6 pressings, including an original Columbia and the AP 33 & 45s. This one sounds the best. It is nearly holographic and the electric bass tone is so clear and punchy. BG definitely did his magic on this one and in my set this was probably the record with the lowest surface noise and nearly flat (saying alot for GZ).

It is true. I have 5-6 pressings, including an original Columbia and the AP 33 & 45s. This one sounds the best. It is nearly holographic and the electric bass tone is so clear and punchy. BG definitely did his magic on this one and in my set this was probably the record with the lowest surface noise and nearly flat (saying alot for GZ).
That settles it, I’ll be taking the plunge on it in the next few weeks. Emailed VMP for a stock check to see what kind of urgency I should put on it lol

Just backing what others have already said, they really do sound fantastic. I was playing Future Shock last night and my girlfriend actually came in from the other room to say how good it sounds. She didn't even mean the music itself, just how clear and punchy it is.

Honestly one of the best box sets I have. The fact that the range of music on offer is so diverse just adds to the experience as well.

Wow. That’s impressive.

Just backing what others have already said, they really do sound fantastic. I was playing Future Shock last night and my girlfriend actually came in from the other room to say how good it sounds. She didn't even mean the music itself, just how clear and punchy it is.

Honestly one of the best box sets I have. The fact that the range of music on offer is so diverse just adds to the experience as well.
I'm two in and they are insanely good. VMP will have knocked this out of the park if the quality of this keeps up

I listened to Live Under The Sky and The Piano last night. Live Under The Sky smokes and is a great live album. My copy of the Piano had some surface noise on the first track, but afterwards sounded really nice. May need to wash and listen again to see whether it is something I will write in about.

Can't tell if I like Future Shock or not, but I'm leaning towards it being kind of deceptively good.
I had the cassette back in the day. Then the original vinyl press, which sounded...thin? This pressing is much, much better. Streaming doesn't do it justice unless you've got a really high-end streaming set up.

I had the cassette back in the day. Then the original vinyl press, which sounded...thin? This pressing is much, much better. Streaming doesn't do it justice unless you've got a really high-end streaming set up.
Reminded me of this! I bought 3 cassettes for £1 from my local carboot last year and one of them was Future Shock.

IMG_0010.jpg

I watched the AMA video chat earlier and it was pretty fun! Storf and another VMP guy whose name escapes me talked about how the anthology came together, some of their originally proposed albums for the set, what they'd want in a "Herbie Hancock 2: Electric Boogaloo" anthology, their woes at getting The Piano and 1+1 pressed right, and why Herbie resequenced Live Under the Sky (because he wanted to and who are they to say no).

Also found out Storf's favorite Herbie record is Monster, which is both the most and least surprising thing I learned out of all this.

I watched the AMA video chat earlier and it was pretty fun! Storf and another VMP guy whose name escapes me talked about how the anthology came together, some of their originally proposed albums for the set, what they'd want in a "Herbie Hancock 2: Electric Boogaloo" anthology, their woes at getting The Piano and 1+1 pressed right, and why Herbie resequenced Live Under the Sky (because he wanted to and who are they to say no).

Also found out Storf's favorite Herbie record is Monster, which is both the most and least surprising thing I learned out of all this.
Oh damn I forgot about it. Is there a link to the recording or was it a one-time thing?

Well... I did it. I bit the bullet and bought the Herbie set. I still feel like it’s too expensive, but it’s my 30th birthday in a couple of weeks, so I’m using that as justification.

Herbie is one of my favorite artists of all time, so I know this will get a lot of listens.

Well... I did it. I bit the bullet and bought the Herbie set. I still feel like it’s too expensive, but it’s my 30th birthday in a couple of weeks, so I’m using that as justification.

Herbie is one of my favorite artists of all time, so I know this will get a lot of listens.

I one time had a shit day at work so I went home and bought an Eels boxset I hadn't pulled the trigger on due to price.

Sometimes you gotta treat yourself.

Three down and I can pretty safely say that this Herbie box is the best thing I’ve picked up from VMP in the 5 years I’ve been a member… along with Room On Fire that is

if anyone is on the fence I’d get off it and pick one up.

Last edited:
Back