Waylon Jennings - Lonesome On'ry and Mean
Willie Nelson - Shotgun Willie
Kris Kristofferson - Kristofferson
Billy Joe Shaver - Old Five and Dimers Like Me
Hank Williams Jr - Hank Williams Jr. and Friends
David Allen Coe - Once Upon A Rhyme
Guy Clark - Old No. 1
Various Artists - Wanted! The Outlaws
Yes! Though Honky Tonk Heroes would needs to be included in this and I prefer Dreaming My Dream to Lonesome On’ry and Mean but outside of that I would be all about this (if it weren’t like $495).

Yes! Though Honky Tonk Heroes would needs to be included in this and I prefer Dreaming My Dream to Lonesome On’ry and Mean but outside of that I would be all about this (if it weren’t like $495).
I prefer Honky Tonk Heroes, but Lonesome really is the start of Outlaw Country. It was Waylon's first album with full control, independent of Nashville, so it is historically important in telling a story.

I prefer Honky Tonk Heroes, but Lonesome really is the start of Outlaw Country. It was Waylon's first album with full control, independent of Nashville, so it is historically important in telling a story.
Ah, yeah you are right, I forgot the whole “storytelling” element of the anthology equation.

Also maybe add I’m Jessi Colter to the mix to get a female voice on there?

Ah, yeah you are right, I forgot the whole “storytelling” element of the anthology equation.

Also maybe add I’m Jessi Colter to the mix to get a female voice on there?
Don't worry, pretty sure VMP forgets it too.

Not as familiar with her solo stuff, though I think it would be good to get a female voice on it besides the Outlaws comp.

Loved that I put Hank Jr. and David Allen Coe as episode 3. Can only imagine what that podcast would be like, might get cancelled halfway through.

Don't worry, pretty sure VMP forgets it too.

Not as familiar with her solo stuff, though I think it would be good to get a female voice on it besides the Outlaws comp.

Loved that I put Hank Jr. and David Allen Coe as episode 3. Can only imagine what that podcast would be like, might get cancelled halfway through.
Hank, Jr. is awful the same way grandpa was awful and it came out more publicly later in life. Coe on the other hand has always been a shit heel. Both have some incredible stories to tell though. Regardless of their terribleness some of their albums are fantastic. Same with Charlie Daniels.

Hank, Jr. is awful the same way grandpa was awful and it came out more publicly later in life. Coe on the other hand has always been a shit heel. Both have some incredible stories to tell though. Regardless of their terribleness some of their albums are fantastic. Same with Charlie Daniels.
Yeah, that Hank Jr. and Friends album is absolute fire.

+1

listening to some leon thomas right now, actually. any time i spot FD in the used bins i get very excited because they're just not that easy to find. a box set/anthology of this stuff might be worth a silly VMP price to me.
There are tons of Flying Dutchman albums that could use a solid repress too. Every time I had a post-anthology survey from VMP and they asked for suggestions, I put “make a Flying Dutchman anthology!” haha

There are tons of Flying Dutchman albums that could use a solid repress too. Every time I had a post-anthology survey from VMP and they asked for suggestions, I put “make a Flying Dutchman anthology!” haha
There are. Gato Barbieri did his best work for FD, and was their top artist.

There other gems in there too. But sadly, there is a lot of shlock in the FD catalog too.

There are. Gato Barbieri did his best work for FD, and was their top artist.

There other gems in there too. But sadly, there is a lot of shlock in the FD catalog too.
Gil Scott Heron, Leon Thomas, Gato, Lonnie Liston Smith...there would definitely be enough for a pretty rad 6-8 album anthology. Even just a Gil Scott Heron anthology/box set would be awesome

Back