Vinyl Me Please Anthology

Right, but for us the albums are just a jumping-off point. Deadheads love listening to shows they've not heard before.
The thing is deadheads already own the albums and the new fans might start to get into live dead but they
Probably won't want a subscription to a live music streaming service that has a controversial encoding scheme

I just dunno what the box was made for

Right. Grateful Dead fans are exactly the type of people that would be interested in lossless concert recordings.
If anyone is interested in reading about MQA and its weird marketing claims this is an interesting article.

If anyone is interested in reading about MQA and its weird marketing claims this is an interesting article.

eh its weird but its the cheapest way i can get high res streaming because 10 bucks student discount

I’m not a Deadhead at all but I dabbled in online sharing of taped shows and decided randomly to get all the shows I could find from the day I was born, so I have 2 hours and 28 minutes of FLAC files of a live Dead show in my possession.

Have I listened to it yet? no. But I’m sure I will when the time is right haha.

I’m not a Deadhead at all but I dabbled in online sharing of taped shows and decided randomly to get all the shows I could find from the day I was born, so I have 2 hours and 28 minutes of FLAC files of a live Dead show in my possession.

Have I listened to it yet? no. But I’m sure I will when the time is right haha.

So, you mean drugs?

Hey I listen to normal spotify. I'm no elitist about streaming quality, I'm just not a fan of weird secretive misleading marketing jargon. If you enjoy the sound then it's great.
i dunno if i even enjoy the streaming quality... just my phone has a great DAC that decodes MQA completely so i can take adding an extra 5 bucks to my subscription to use a feature thats aparently good.. it all is confusing.. also why would you get a high quality DAC for spotify which is what is confusing

i wasn't there but i know you copied tapes, traded tapes over a bunch of people, etc.

It was a whole world unto itself - lengthy message board or email threads laying out the trading tree, with "branches" and "leaves". Each branch, someone who had been doing it long enough to be trusted in the trading community to make a bunch of copies and move things along would receive their copy from the main source, so the leaves wouldn't have to worry about too much degradation in their copies. Seemingly endless discussions were had regarding the ethics of those who hoarded "rare" recordings and what they could reasonably charge someone for a copy, or if charging for more than cassettes and a mailer was fair at all.

I think the scene kept Maxell in business for many extra years even as CDs had taken hold in the rest of the music industry. Padded mailers were cheap, but you always had to keep an eye on when there were sales of the bricks of XLII 90 min tapes.

I got into the scene in the mid-90s, right as colleges started providing internet (though many were still on dial-up) and private email started to become a thing. The tape trading community was another way of keeping in touch with friends. Aside from the 2 primaries (Dead, Phish), I also got into a bunch of the secondary and tertiary (jam-adjacent) bands - Blues Traveler, Rusted Root, God Street Wine, Ominous Seapods, early (pre-Crash) DMB, MMW, WSP, Leftover Salmon, Gov't Mule; never did care for moe. or Gorilla Biscuits

All that is to say that yes, Deadheads very much care about access to live shows. Even if this box ends up selling more to newbies, then they're hoping to get at least some of them hooked on that next step of fandom & paying again when the initial free sub runs out.

i dunno if i even enjoy the streaming quality... just my phone has a great DAC that decodes MQA completely so i can take adding an extra 5 bucks to my subscription to use a feature thats aparently good.. it all is confusing.. also why would you get a high quality DAC for spotify which is what is confusing
If it sounds better to you then I'm sure it's worth it.

I don't have a high quality DAC if that's what you mean. I have an OK one someone gave me but I only use it for my PC desktop speakers.

I only really use spotify for streaming/downloading on my phone at work and in the car and through my PS4 while playing games sometimes.

If it sounds better to you then I'm sure it's worth it.
i dunno

im just having an existential crisis wondering if any of this matters and if a dac actually makes a difference because i just dont notice much of a sound difference and my dac seemingly makes me fatigued because its all confusing and i wanna things pop again.

this shit burns me out

Just so you know, Europe '72 is back in print.

I just ordered this when it popped up on Amazon a few weeks ago. The deadwax etchings match the 2011 US release, but look at those labels. They weren't renamed Warner Records until 2019. My guess is that you'll start seeing these in stores in the near future.
20201023_215616.jpg

The parts you think you can't get will be reissued.
That would be nice and hopefully true.
Out of the set, I only own WMD on vinyl. I have a few other studio releases like Aoxomoxoa, In The Dark and self titled. The rest are a hodgepodge of live releases on either CD(WAN) and vinyl. So whenever I “think” about smashing, I just remember what I have.

Last edited:
Just so you know, Europe '72 is back in print.

I just ordered this when it popped up on Amazon a few weeks ago. The deadwax etchings match the 2011 US release, but look at those labels. They weren't renamed Warner Records until 2019. My guess is that you'll start seeing these in stores in the near future.
View attachment 71610
They've been on elusive disc on and off for a few weeks now too. The issue I have is in the UK they are super rare and as much as I like ED i' d still have their $50 shipping and in UK prices £33 worth of customs which makes E72 $140 (or about a third of the cost of the whole VMP box for me). So it's working out whether WMD, Terripin Station and Without A Net are worth $260. I suppose it would be nice to have reckoning but I listen to the Warfield Vinyl much more than the Reckoning stream. (for anyone not going anywhere near a box. Get the Warfield RSD while you can. It's fantastic)

If I snag a buffalo today I'll probably stand down but I lost out on a neatly priced Nassau yesterday and that was going to be my without a net substitute. Bollocks

i' d still have their $50 shipping and in UK prices £33 worth of customs which makes E72 $140 (or about a third of the cost of the whole VMP box for me). So it's working out whether WMD, Terripin Station and Without A Net are worth $260. I suppose it would be nice to have reckoning...

Last edited:
Back