Vinyl Me Please Anthology

MV had an AP pressing as well as an MM pressing. I'm guessing Empyrean will be the solo BN album they release in the box which would still be awesome.
As I spin my Liberty/VAN GELDER but yes. Would be a great pick for everyone to enjoy.

When was My Point of View last released? I'd love that given Donald Byrd was on it. And since it's 8 albums, I really hope 2 are from Blue Note.

Never mind. Saw that it's coming out as a Tone Poet. So Empyrean Isles it is.

I'm putting my money on Speak Like a Child. Along with Empyrean Isles It's the only one of his BN records that hasn't been reissued in the last 2 years, either through MM, BN80 or TP. Plus, it shows a side of Herbie that is very different to his other stuff, proving how good of an arranger he can be. If Herbie picked the albums himself, I'm pretty sure he selected this one.

I'm putting my money on Speak Like a Child. Along with Empyrean Isles It's the only one of his BN records that hasn't been reissued in the last 2 years, either through MM, BN80 or TP. Plus, it shows a side of Herbie that is very different to his other stuff, proving how good of an arranger he can be. If Herbie picked the albums himself, I'm pretty sure he selected this one.
Why not both? ;) I keep putting off getting Speak Like a Child even though a nice OG costs around $30. I would bet we get EI though if they want to move this box set and sell it for $300 like I’m sure they will.
My guesses: Empyrean Isles, Speak Like a Child, Thrust, VSOP, Future Shock, River: the Joni Letters. I could also see us getting one from the 90’s but I’m honestly not too familiar with his work after the mid 80’s.

Why not both? ;) I keep putting off getting Speak Like a Child even though a nice OG costs around $30. I would bet we get EI though if they want to move this box set and sell it for $300 like I’m sure they will.
My guesses: Empyrean Isles, Speak Like a Child, Thrust, VSOP, Future Shock, River: the Joni Letters. I could also see us getting one from the 90’s but I’m honestly not too familiar with his work after the mid 80’s.
Yeah, we're probably getting both. I'd add a Miles Davis record to that mix, but who knows, given that all studio albums have been reissued recently. Maybe Plugged Nickel? And in regards to VSOP, I wouldn't be so sure about it. That record is basically a recap of his career up to that point, which feels redundant if that same period will be represented in the boxset. I would lean more towards one of the later albums with the VSOP Quintet, which were an important point in Jazz history after the forays of all of those musicians with fusion.

I really wanted the Blue Note Anthology but didn’t have the funds available at the time. Here’s hoping I can jump on the Herbie set although who knows when it’ll actually go on sale. I’m not optimistic with “summer” especially since we’re already starting to see delays being caused by COVID-19.

Yeah, we're probably getting both. I'd add a Miles Davis record to that mix, but who knows, given that all studio albums have been reissued recently. Maybe Plugged Nickel? And in regards to VSOP, I wouldn't be so sure about it. That record is basically a recap of his career up to that point, which feels redundant if that same period will be represented in the boxset. I would lean more towards one of the later albums with the VSOP Quintet, which were an important point in Jazz history after the forays of all of those musicians with fusion.
Yeah I think you’re right with regards to VSOP if we get an album by then or not. If we get the plugged nickel set I would be absolutely shocked but would smash buy so fast.

Yeah I think you’re right with regards to VSOP if we get an album by then or not. If we get the plugged nickel set I would be absolutely shocked but would smash buy so fast.
Yeah, I would be super pissed if they include Plucked Nickel, mainly because I won't be able to buy it lol

Who knows!

I really hope they're up front about what's in this box. I'm down, but it kind of depends on what's in there... I have a lot of Herbie already.
They did announce all of the records in the Zamrock box set before it went on sale so hoping they do that for the future box sets.

They did announce all of the records in the Zamrock box set before it went on sale so hoping they do that for the future box sets.

I feel like they released the names for the Zamrock box because it was going to be a hard sell. I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to the cloak and dagger shit on this one knowing it'll probably sell on the strength of being Herbie Hancock selected by the man himself

I feel like they released the names for the Zamrock box because it was going to be a hard sell. I wouldn't be surprised if they went back to the cloak and dagger shit on this one knowing it'll probably sell on the strength of being Herbie Hancock selected by the man himself

Yeah this might be right and I'll probably pass in that case... most Herbie albums are pretty available. But we will see, I can't pretend like I won't change my mind a hundred time between now and release.

400 dollars?
Almost all of the box sets have been similar pricing. All sub 300, some as low as 200. I'm guessing this is going to be same price as the Zamrock box set which was something like $220 with early bird pricing and discount code for purchasing a previous anthology (those codes seem to be easily obtained if you have not purchased before).

Back