Vinyl Me Please Anthology

BYO Stax Anthology (via Amazon.com):

Robert Gordon - Respect Yourself (Book) ($12.50)
Otis Redding - Definitive Studio Albums 7LP Box Set ($99.99)
Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Coming (Music on Vinyl) ($23.99)
Bar-Kays - Gotta Groove ($22.99)
Booker T. & The MGs - Green Onions ($14.99)
Albert King - Lovejoy ($15.66)
William Bell - Bound to Happen ($18.99)
Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love ($22.99)
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul ($17.35)

Grand Total = $249.47

Ask questions about Stax here on N&G for community.

Yes but do those come in privacy sleeves?

[/QUOTE

Since i dont know if you have seen my tag in the other thread. A short warning. It seems to no longer possible to pay your 12 month sub with store credit. So prepare to pay another couple 100$ if you want to stay with vmp
Yeah, I’ll definitely switch to the 6-month sub when it comes to early January! Thanks for the heads up ☺️

Nathan, saw this post on Reddit. Storf said the artists are listed chronologically. So you might get your wish.

PutYrDukesUp

1 point·8 hours ago·edited 7 hours ago

That means, best case scenario:
Booker T & the MG's - Soul Dressing
Sam & Dave - Hold On, I'm Comin'
Otis Redding - ? (Otis doesn't make sense based on what you've said. The only one without a recent, still in-print reissue is Otis Blue. Which came out in 1965. But Sam & Dave's first album came out in '66. So one of those two things doesn't check out.)
Bar-Kays - Soul Finger
Eddie Floyd - I've Never Found A Girl
Johnnie Taylor - Philosophy or Raw Blues
Albert King - Lovejoy
William Bell - Phases of Reality
So you think it will be Phases of Reality chosen as the William Bell record??? 🤔

I really, really hope so! 🙏

Grand Total = $249.47

So that's a box with a box inside. Very meta, very Inception. I like it.

So that's a box with a box inside. Very meta, very Inception. I like it.
Quellbild anzeigen

Grand Total = $249.47

Any individual Otis albums you'd recommend instead of the full box?

Grand Total = $249.47

I might just do something like that, indeed.

Quick question? Do people find it hard to justify $300ish for 8 albums? Because I’ll be honest, even discounting my distaste for the anthology concept, I’d be wanting near double the content for that kinda cash.

I find it hard to justify $300, even $200 for vinyl when I don't know what I am getting inside the box, podcast, stickers, a nice box are nice to have's but not essential to me, as the records are what I am buying it for. And this isn't about the $$$, as I am pretty lucky to be where I am but it's more about this whole mentality of buy before you know has got to go.

I would be curious if the Motown, blue note, and ghostly buyers would still have bought the set after knowing what was inside? Had I not been a huge Ghostly fan boy and waited to see the albums were also being independently pressed I may have passed on this. Because let's be honest, getting music advice from Stof, is not something I need nor want to ever listen to. Luckily Storf didn't touch the Ghostly Podcast so I felt better about that.

I was pretty wasted when I wrote my response to the announcement of Stax so that was fun to revisit but I still stand by it.

I find it hard to justify $300, even $200 for vinyl when I don't know what I am getting inside the box, podcast, stickers, a nice box are nice to have's but not essential to me, as the records are what I am buying it for. And this isn't about the $$$, as I am pretty lucky to be where I am but it's more about this whole mentality of buy before you know has got to go.

I would be curious if the Motown, blue note, and ghostly buyers would still have bought the set after knowing what was inside? Had I not been a huge Ghostly fan boy and waited to see the albums were also being independently pressed I may have passed on this. Because let's be honest, getting music advice from Stof, is not something I need nor want to ever listen to. Luckily Storf didn't touch the Ghostly Podcast so I felt better about that.

I was pretty wasted when I wrote my response to the announcement of Stax so that was fun to revisit but I still stand by it.

I've bought all 3 and am buying this one. Had no issue buying without knowing what was inside and have no regrets after the fact.
Completely understand why some people wouldnt be cool with that, but this isnt who that is marketed for I guess. You're buying the theme/label and the experience. Whether the price is worth it or not is subjective. I personally would like if it was a bit cheaper but also don't really mind the price point, nowhere near a dealbreaker for me (that could change depending on how many they put out next year).

Same as wynn72. I've done full listens to the Blue Note one a couple times. I've got a backlog of records right now, otherwise I'd be doing the same with Motown. I actually haven't gotten through Ghostly yet since Christmas music season arrived. I'll get back to Ghostly after Christmas Day.

I've bought all 3 and am buying this one. Had no issue buying without knowing what was inside and have no regrets after the fact.
Completely understand why some people wouldnt be cool with that, but this isnt who that is marketed for I guess. You're buying the theme/label and the experience. Whether the price is worth it or not is subjective. I personally would like if it was a bit cheaper but also don't really mind the price point, nowhere near a dealbreaker for me (that could change depending on how many they put out next year).

Great to know, glad you stand by your purchases and enjoy the experience!

I guess before VMP the only things I bought before I knew what I was getting was Pokemon cards, so I guess their marketing to the same crowd?

I didn't buy Motown nor Blue Note, (Motown isn't my jam, whereas Blue Note is) but from what I heard about the extras, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Besides the money, if your goal is to educate people about these labels, I find it odd that there arn't more industry experts, people who work/run the label, leading these series. What is Storf's background? It's like taking in news from an economist do I listen to Paul Krugman or Ben Shapiro? I like to learn from people who are in the industry and have insights that I have no idea about. With Ghostly it was fun to learn about Shigeto, Choir, and hear from the owner, however I passed on watching all of the unboxing's because, time, why do I need to watch someone open a box? But that's just me, and if unboxing are your jam that's cool too.

So yeah, if you buy it enjoy it and if you don't buy it also enjoy it, VMP has become such a divisive company that it almost begs the question, is it worth beating a dead horse, they once again are coming off a fiasco and are asking their customers to trust them again. I find it funny and odd at the same time, but I guess these are probably the same people who still eat at Chipotle despite their continued reliance on buying/sourcing vegetables that have killed/ made people sick.

I think everyone here knows what they want, I think it's important for us to share opinions and help lead people to making a better more informed decision, and while it certainly isn't a VMP community, this is the VMP anthology thread, so perhaps we turn this thread into the community that VMP should be providing and have the members here discuss their experience/learning with each new anthology that comes out.

I don't know who we could contact, but I am almost certain, members of N&G could put out a great Anthology set, similar to the AOTM thread, it would be cool if we did an Anthology one as well.

Grand Total = $249.47

This is amazing! Thank you!
I think I'll go this route instead of the box set

Great to know, glad you stand by your purchases and enjoy the experience!

I guess before VMP the only things I bought before I knew what I was getting was Pokemon cards, so I guess their marketing to the same crowd?

I didn't buy Motown nor Blue Note, (Motown isn't my jam, whereas Blue Note is) but from what I heard about the extras, it left a bad taste in my mouth. Besides the money, if your goal is to educate people about these labels, I find it odd that there arn't more industry experts, people who work/run the label, leading these series. What is Storf's background? It's like taking in news from an economist do I listen to Paul Krugman or Ben Shapiro? I like to learn from people who are in the industry and have insights that I have no idea about. With Ghostly it was fun to learn about Shigeto, Choir, and hear from the owner, however I passed on watching all of the unboxing's because, time, why do I need to watch someone open a box? But that's just me, and if unboxing are your jam that's cool too.

Yeah, I dont watch the unboxings (just VMP hype to me), but enjoy the podcasts, even the Storf ones. To me he's a fine interviewer and I mainly listen for the insight of the people he's talking to, not him.
End of the day though, the podcasts are just a plus. I'm definitely never relistening to them so the box sets in my collection are really what I'm putting down the money for. I've always been a sucker for a good box set, think the packaging is qualify, I've really enjoyed the record selection so far. Especially something like Ghostly where I was pretty unfamiliar with the label beforehand, so the curation is a big selling point for me.

Back