Vinyl Me Please Anthology

The crazy thing is, the community aspect is gone. That felt like a major selling point for both the first two sets, and now? It's just totally gone. There's no reason to think that, slowly but surely, the other bonus content will disappear and this'll end up just another overpriced box set. The whole concept of anthology is only worthwhile in so far as they offer content to meet the price; that's this whole discussion about value. But they're slowly removing the value-added aspect, even if those aspects were kind of garbage to begin with, at least they were there. I asked Storf about the community in Reddit and he ignored the question, but he did confirm that the liner notes will be on the typical cardstock.... which sucks, because, like you said, VMP has gone pretty cheap wherever they could get away with it.

I've done all three anthologies now. I think Motown was good, probably the best overall, but the price was also the worst. Ghostly has the best podcast, but the Motown packaging is infinitely better. I actually think Ghostly is kind of trash, to be totally honest. The "bonus material" for Ghostly has been like, some links to Youtube videos and some links to interviews, all done by different publications--the sort of shit I could come up with if I had 0 knowledge of the artists but their name and the ability to type into Google. That's about on par with what the Blue Note antho was like, in terms of bonus content. The Motown bonuses were decent, some actual new content and some of it I liked. Maybe they'll do that again for this Stax anthology; I got the sense that they farmed a lot of the work off to Ghostly for that antho, at least based off the one unboxing video I watch (which was Cam and the Ghostly guy dropping Millennial business marketing buzz words for a half hour), so maybe that's why the Ghostly stuff has been subpar overall.

I think the original idea of antho, as a box set shipped out over time, was good. I think it was a logistical nightmare and they fucked it up so hard that people flipped out, but I still think it's a really good idea and some other (competent) company could pull it off. However, at this point, the anthologies are just super overpriced box sets being sold as premium "experiences" which is just total marketing shit. The privacy sleeves are a joke. The unboxing videos are so stupidly lazy. They don't prepare for them at all and expect the viewers to come in with questions, as if it's our job to make these videos worthwhile. How any company could offer an unboxing video that's just some dude in his kitchen talking a bunch of random bullshit with 0 production value and 0 preparation at all blows my mind. They're not a small company. We should expect better, but it's kind of embarrassing. At least but a fucking webcam and a microphone for fuck's sake.

And yet, I love my Blue Note set. The conversations I had on here led me to really fall in love with jazz. That's what I want again, an actual community of people talking about the content and sharing information. I doubt that'll get replicated again, in all honesty. Maybe if they do another jazz antho. Maybe with this Stax one, who knows. At this point, I've accepted that the anthos are just overpriced box sets, and I'm only buying the ones I genuinely want (Stax being one of them, likely any other jazz set they put out) and I'm only buying those because I can afford it. If I weren't lucky enough to have a good job that pays well, I wouldn't buy these things.

Part of me thinks we're going to look back and mark this anthology thing as the point at which VMP jumped the shark (although I bet many on here would point to earlier points, all valid). It's the point at which any shred of the old "community" ethos was thrown out the window in favor of more profit. The "VMP treatment" used to sort of mean something, but now it stands for absurdly overinflated pricing, horrible QC, decent-to-above-average quality, and a commitment to FOMO marketing bullshit. The anthology is a very good symptom of what's wrong with the vinyl industry in general, and a very good indicator that it's a stupidly big bubble. If I didn't honestly still believe VMP's classics track was a good deal, I would've canceled my sub a while ago.

Hopefully VMP learns that business is a long term game. Sometimes, short term profits need to be tempered in favor of building good will in a community, providing good products and services, and focusing on giving a shit about their customer base. It's about growing a functional, thriving business, not just grabbing as much cash as possible before they get bought out by Walmart or whatever.

But I doubt it'll change.

Anyway, that rant is crazy, but I'll end it here with: I'm still buying this stupid Stax box set.
It's not crazy, you hit a lot of the points right on the head.

I think I'm really disappointed with the Ghostly set and VMP, not with music, but with the utter fact that I'm no closer to understanding the label and its history/context then if I had just played the Ghostly Swim compilations on Spotify. I hate the cardstock liner notes - they are so cheap looking and an utter storage pain.

I was able to overlook Blue Note because its history was more familiar to me and jazz is a lot easier to do the dive into historically than the electronic realm of Ghostly. I feel like a large disservice was done there.

As to Stax, I think getting Robert Gordon's book and picking up albums a la carte will do more for me than the Anthology will to be honest.

You're right, because it would be so much better if Nathan was aggressively negative about all things VMP like most of the other people on here.

He is joking around, and his discourse is at least more interesting than the anti-VMP circle jerk that these forums have devolved into.

Nathan is allowed to throw his own shit out without being called morally reprehensible. JFC.

Queue Joe Mac calling me a shill for living in the same state at VMP, not understanding the scale of things here considering Colorado is the size of his home country.
I don't see what the comment you responded to had to do with VMP.

The majority of the discussion in this thread has been people who just wish VMP would do better, but are fairly pointing out issues that they have.

If you've written off the whole community that's fine. I don't really get why you want to wade in here trolling like this though, that certainly is only adding to the negativity.

As to Stax, I think getting Robert Gordon's book and picking up albums a la carte will do more for me than the Anthology will to be honest.

I think you're probably right about this. I'm thinking about going this route for future anthos, especially ones I'm not particularly excited about. I wish I had just grabbed a few of the Ghostly records in black to be honest, but oh well.

You're right, because it would be so much better if Nathan was aggressively negative about all things VMP like most of the other people on here.

He is joking around, and his discourse is at least more interesting than the anti-VMP circle jerk that these forums have devolved into.

Nathan is allowed to throw his own shit out without being called morally reprehensible. JFC.

Queue Joe Mac calling me a shill for living in the same state at VMP, not understanding the scale of things here considering Colorado is the size of his home country.
Uhm, one person went negative on @NathanRicaud, one, the rest of us have been having a light hearted back and forth about it while discussing the release. You popping up ONLY when this stuff happens doesn't help your case.......but welcome back :)

I'm gonna clarify before this becomes more of a shitstorm than it already is. I'm fine with Nathan stanning VMP, it's his right, and he enjoys it so far.

I'm more annoyed when he tries to hammer his point home to others while semi-hitting on them and really going overboard with some comments. That's it. I'm not behind every one of his posts trying to neg him down, just stating how it makes me feel.

And yes, I could be ignoring him, as the forum features this option. I tried, but the guy posts so much that it makes some topics hard to follow tbh.

Don’t you dare condescend me suggest that I’m incapable of comprehending anything. Also, more than a little bit disingenuous considering that they’re from Denver and so are you. Or coming from such an insignificantly small capital city am I incapable of understanding the scale of a minor US city?
Yes because waving off everything I say because I live in the same state as VMP isn't condescending.

I'm fairly certain their offices are not in Denver, but in Boulder, which is a 90 minute drive from me. Not that any of this is relevant.

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause a shitstorm, though it seems like every time I post I do. I'll go back to occasionally lurking again. Cheers!

Yes because waving off everything I say because I live in the same state as VMP isn't condescending.

I'm fairly certain their offices are not in Denver, but in Boulder, which is a 90 minute drive from me. Not that any of this is relevant.

Sorry, I'm not trying to cause a shitstorm, though it seems like every time I post I do. I'll go back to occasionally lurking again. Cheers!

I mean I apologised and so did you for provoking me back in October. I’ve not mentioned it or you, or even thought about either since. But yeah that’s not relevant when you want to demean me at all. You just continue to lurk and play the victim.

I'm gonna be honest, I'm sick of your discourse [user name snipped], all of this sound so shallow it actually hurts my morals.
Use the ignore function. If there’s a TOS violation, report the post in question.

I get that it makes some conversations hard to follow; I had to un-ignore an extremely prolific user due to some comments seeming extremely out of context. Such is life.

The problem is that airing our opinions isnt just about trying to pooh-pooh people's excitement over this set, but to articulate (semi-) publicly the issues with such a set on a forum that we know the company reads and to try to prevent such gouging as being accepted as the norm among the community. I know a lot of us are getting sick that the hobby is more and more being turned into a FOMO factory.

If you have the money and want to buy it, that's your right. But the idea that such a cost and the mediocre production by VMP should be deemed acceptable and not criticized on a forum is ridiculous. For such a premium priced product, they need to be held to task publicly and this forum is as good as any to do that.

How do we know VMP come on and follow this forum ?
Although maybe Robbie Bobbie is Storf :unsure:

My two penneth.....

For what its worth having read the last two pages, im not surprised by what NathanRicard wrote - Maybe a little surprised at JoeMacs response because Nathans post seemed to be his usual tongue in Cheek not serious immaturity.
And so im unsurprised someone then came in to defend him. Although RobBob should have stopped at that and not shat on most of the forum members.
JoeMac i think where VMP is concerned the phrase red rag to the bull is applicable ;)
Ive used ignore but whats the point when i then click on “Read content from ignored member” every time i get confused reading a thread filled with same content.

Oh Still not buying it.

I got a discount code because I ordered and then cancelled the Ghostly Anthology...happy to pass it along to anyone who needs one.
I’d truly appreciate this code if it hasn’t been spoken for.?!

I got the Blue Note, and did the exact same thing for Ghostly...but I haven’t received a code. Not shocking.

Last edited:
How do we know VMP come on and follow this forum ?
Although maybe Robbie Bobbie is Storf :unsure:

My two penneth.....

For what its worth having read the last two pages, im not surprised by what NathanRicard wrote - Maybe a little surprised at JoeMacs response because Nathans post seemed to be his usual tongue in Cheek not serious immaturity.
And so im unsurprised someone then came in to defend him. Although RobBob should have stopped at that and not shat on most of the forum members.
JoeMac i think where VMP is concerned the phrase red rag to the bull is applicable ;)
Ive used ignore but whats the point when i then click on “Read content from ignored member” every time i get confused reading a thread filled with same content.

Oh Still not buying it.

I didn’t think I was the one who went in hard on Nathan, I was just a little disappointed in him and it wasn’t my comment that Bobx2 replied to, he just decided to have a random pop at me in his last paragraph. I don’t tend to let that go!

I didn’t think I was the one who went in hard on Nathan, I was just a little disappointed in him and it wasn’t my comment that Bobx2 replied to, he just decided to have a random pop at me in his last paragraph. I don’t tend to let that go!

Indeed. Yes i see.
On a completely unrelated topic - ive just found a random Christmas special of The Royle Family that passed me by. You seen that show ? Everyone going round to Denises for Turkey dinner - Very funny. Nice surprise that.

Indeed. Yes i see.
On a completely unrelated topic - ive just found a random Christmas special of The Royle Family that passed me by. You seen that show ? Everyone going round to Denises for Turkey dinner - Very funny. Nice surprise that.

Yeah! Dave in the bath with the turkey cracks me up every time!

BYO Stax Anthology (via Amazon.com):

Robert Gordon - Respect Yourself (Book) ($12.50)
Otis Redding - Definitive Studio Albums 7LP Box Set ($99.99)
Sam & Dave - Hold On I'm Coming (Music on Vinyl) ($23.99)
Bar-Kays - Gotta Groove ($22.99)
Booker T. & The MGs - Green Onions ($14.99)
Albert King - Lovejoy ($15.66)
William Bell - Bound to Happen ($18.99)
Johnnie Taylor - Who's Making Love ($22.99)
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul ($17.35)

Grand Total = $249.47

Ask questions about Stax here on N&G for community.

Back