Vinyl Me Please Anthology

They should do an anthology box of early 2000s NYC indie scene bands that were cult favorites but didn't blow up.

(Yes. I just want to force VMP members to own a Baby Dayliner record against their will. :devilish:)

I got it, it didn't bother me. Maybe that's because I wanted the Blue Note Review boxset and so I ended up purchasing it.
I just need more Art Blakey and Lee Morgan... what can I say
It irked me slight because one of the early selling points was supposed to be discounts on other Blue Note Titles. Oh well, that is what the delete button is for.

That’s still pricier than the initial launch price.

If they want to sell me one, I’ll do $240 and they can direct message me if they’re interested.
Right? Like maybe if we got a big hardcover book with awesome photos/stories/interviews of these ladies during recording sessions or something, then I can see the price tag. But this is a $200 box maximum, even with the AAA draw and what not.

Right? Like maybe if we got a big hardcover book with awesome photos/stories/interviews of these ladies during recording sessions or something, then I can see the price tag. But this is a $200 box maximum, even with the AAA draw and what not.
Spot on. Like a deluxe edition of the women in Motown book that one of their contributors wrote.

I could definitely be tempted back in if it was the right jazz label. I hope not Blue Note again. Even though a lot of their stuff is expensive on the secondary market, they're still relatively available, even if not OGs. It'd be great to see some of the less available, originally pressed in smaller numbers labels like ESP explored or maybe a European label like ECM.

I'd be surprised if they ever pick a single artist set. At these prices it seems to really limit their audience. If you don't like x you're instantly out. At least with a label or genre you may be prepared to commit if 1 or 2 of the picks aren't up your street.

I could well see through their previous offerings that they might try a story of hip-hop set but as someone else said, rights issues may make it difficult to put a set together from multiple labels and I don't know enough about hip-hop to know a single label that could do this, maybe Tommy Boy who they have a relationship with?

Overall, I don't think their 'Anthology' is a flawed concept, I just think that at the price they're aiming for, it has to be something really special to me to re-engage with it. Were they about 30% less expensive, I'd probably be tempted by more of them but unfortunately the pricing is the one part I don't see them backing down on.

Hope it's classical. That would be interesting.
I only own one classical album and it would be nice to have someone curate that genre for me. I'm interested in the new Edit.Futurum sub-label of Clone Records outta Rotterdam, but the shipping prices keep me from ordering. They've got one record out so far and another due in a few weeks, at 30 euros each - which is tough enough but I know 5 of that is VAT - but the shipping price would be another 30 euros whether it's for one LP or 2. I might wait until they have 4 releases out so I can justify the shipping cost. Or I might just buy the FLAC versions.
This is how vmp is trying to sell the Motown box now...advertising on insta accounts
View attachment 18132
This is a really bad look, unless there are POC instagram accounts also partnering with VMP to try to move these records. I hope that is the case.

Back