Vinyl Me Please Anthology

It's user run, so if you see an error, make or propose an edit.

Not so much errors, but I disklike how it’s been taken over by over-literalistic thematic analysis. Back in the day, when it was Rap Genius it used to be primarily focused on ebonics and deep genre references.

Now it seems to be taken over by folks from the school of “Dissect” and “Watching the Thrones” that seem determined to map weird narratives onto everything. That and some of the artists they chose to promote on social crack me up lol.

Probably just me being sour and it’s all subjective. Still my go-to lyric site.

Storf did say no more Facebook. So that's an improvement.

One of the worst parts of the whole thing was that stupid Facebook group.

Anyone want to start making bets on pricepoint? I'm thinking it'll be $250 before discounts.

$25/record puts it at $200. Then they jack it up by another $50 on account of the box, the booklet, and the "bonus material" (that may or may not actually appear).

Doing 8 records instead of 6 is really a game changer.

If it's $250 or less before my $30 discount I'll probably get it. I will say I don't like how the box from the blue note anthology is wearing off and showing white spots all over
Seriously? That’s horrendous! Such an expensive product shouldn’t be like that!
That's pretty wild. Kinda wish it were like the RSD RTJ box which is just a hunk of metal. No white spots on that bad boy.
Mine had those white spots after I slid the box in and out of my Kallax shelf like, once. Definitely disappointing. That was a major factor in me just taking all the records out and filing them alphabetically.
You've got to be effing kidding me.

EDIT- Just to be clear I'm commenting on the horrid quality of the box, not Joe's comment... Just in case it came off wrong... I kinda quoted the wrong quote...

I had my first box replaced due to it arriving with these spots and some creasing. The replacement box is now showing its own white wear after a couple shelvings - frustrating indeed.

While VJ got a lot of hate on the BN/VMP Facebook page, the one that drove me nuts is the guy that took "now spinning" type shots of cd covers like they were record covers. Not sure why but that drove me to rage.

He drove me CRAZY too, and would ignore me when I asked how an album was relevant to the group or why he was posting cd covers. It was all attention seeking impulse posting.

I noticed this guy too! He really stood out to me because he was also in a different jazz vinyl group I was in, so whenever he posted that stuff I'd see two identical posts from him one right on top of the other. I called him out on it in that group and he would just ignore it or claim that they were actually records, but they were always super close-cropped and one even said SACD in the corner, lol!

Ditto on the double posting, which is what prob intensified my annoyance with it in BN group as well

I had my first box replaced due to it arriving with these spots and some creasing. The replacement box is now showing its own white wear after a couple shelvings - frustrating indeed.
Never forget that VMP was very up front that they considered the total value of the "extras" to be just a few dollars. When you see future advertisements about 'premium' boxes, booklets, whatever...just remember that it's only as premium as their cost-saving measures will allow.

(Edit: And if that means that the cost-savings on those elements are to allocate more resources to mastering or whatever, that's fine, and I'm sure a lot of people will appreciate that. Just don't get fooled.)

$250 is almost worth signing up again for the comedy of it all, but not quite. Especially if they don't use the Facebook group. Thats a game changer.

We need to set up a betting pool of different cock-ups and how likely they will happen.

Shipping issues are too obvious.

I think it has to be 2:1 odds that they will use a scan of a cd cover instead of the original artwork.

$250 is almost worth signing up again for the comedy of it all, but not quite. Especially if they don't use the Facebook group. Thats a game changer.

We need to set up a betting pool of different cock-ups and how likely they will happen.

Shipping issues are too obvious.

I think it has to be 2:1 odds that they will use a scan of a cd cover instead of the original artwork.
Accidentally shipping a Miracles record. "Sorry guys, we were just under some intense timeline pressure, and TO BE FAIR Smokey Robinson does have a really high voice, so how were we supposed to know he's not a woman?"

Accidentally shipping a Miracles record. "Sorry guys, we were just under some intense timeline pressure, and TO BE FAIR Smokey Robinson does have a really high voice, so how were we supposed to know he's not a woman?"

The funniest part of this post is that I WOULDN'T BE SURPRISED ONE BIT

Not so much errors, but I disklike how it’s been taken over by over-literalistic thematic analysis. Back in the day, when it was Rap Genius it used to be primarily focused on ebonics and deep genre references.

Now it seems to be taken over by folks from the school of “Dissect” and “Watching the Thrones” that seem determined to map weird narratives onto everything. That and some of the artists they chose to promote on social crack me up lol.

Probably just me being sour and it’s all subjective. Still my go-to lyric site.
Ah, that makes sense. I pretty much ignore all the company created content, but yeah some people's annotations are a streeeeeeeeeeeetch if not totally made up.

I guess my response was a knee jerk reaction because I think it is weird that lately, the cool thing for rappers to do is talk about how Genius gets their lyrics wrong, like it is the company putting them up and asserting they are right. They seem oblivious to the fact that it is just their fans trying to do their best for hours of their spare time with no compensation, so that they can appreciate the lyrics in full.

So, assuming it’s like the first anthology video tease where songs and images matched the artists in that box, I hear the Vandellas’ “Nowhere to Run” which means Dance Party, Supremes’ Where Did Our Love Go, and then Syreeta.

On Reddit, Storf said:
"While you might be able to find used copies of 3/4 of the 8 albums (which is what the OP was talking about), only one of 7 of them has a legit reissue in the last 20 years, and it was Japan only. The modern album has never been reissued."

Hmmm...Doesn't that eliminate Dance Party? It got a Speaker's Corner reissue in 2009.

Might just buy that and the Motown Mono set and call that my Motown Anthology.

$65k seems like a lot to spend just to get the booklet.

<I'm kidding. I miss that guy.>
giphy.gif

Last night, the universe told me to check discogs listings for the first anthology, and I was thrilled to be able to purchase the anthology Lou Donaldson record (which was the main one that I wanted from the first Anthology) on its own for $38. Thank you to whoever that seller is, if you're on here!

And now the universe is telling me that I should follow my instincts and just wait for the podcasts to be posted on spotify later for free and wait for the albums I want to be posted individually on discogs later, so I can pay a reasonable price for only the records that I actually want.

Today, the universe is telling me to be strong by delivering the Elemental pressing of Bobby Hutcherson's "Montara" to my doorstep just now. I paid $27.49 for it on merchbar. Looks like it's selling on Amazon UK for £10.61 + shipping. Not sure how it compares to VMP's pressing, but I'm fine with it.

Yaaaaaaaaaas! These are my exactly my thoughts!!!

I couldn’t care less about the box and podcast especially. It’s rubbish to me.The book is nice, and I like it, but it isn’t essential. It’s all about the pressing as we are all in it for the music in the end!!!

You’ve come a long way from the days you threw the boxes, books and extras in the trash Nathan.

Ah, that makes sense. I pretty much ignore all the company created content, but yeah some people's annotations are a streeeeeeeeeeeetch if not totally made up.

I guess my response was a knee jerk reaction because I think it is weird that lately, the cool thing for rappers to do is talk about how Genius gets their lyrics wrong, like it is the company putting them up and asserting they are right. They seem oblivious to the fact that it is just their fans trying to do their best for hours of their spare time with no compensation, so that they can appreciate the lyrics in full.

For sure, that cracks me up too haha. The stretches kill me. I firmly believe lots of those out there take some shit way to seriously.

Back