1) Trinity Lane
2) Tonight's The Night
3) Love
4) Jetlagger
5) Black Ribbons
6) Songs of the Recollection
7) Psych Out Xmas
8) Psychocandy

For some reason, mid 80's gothic/post-punk has never clicked with me on more than a surface level. I'm not sure if it's the vocals or the fact that it just reminds me of an awkward decade. I also find this statement ironic as I really enjoyed the Jesus & Mary Chain record which has some similarities.

That being said, if it's OK, I would like to PIF this record to someone who is a big fan of this record/style. No hard feels 'D, I told you I'd always be honest if I loved em' or not!

My D' Rankings So Far:

1) Black Ribbons
2) Psych Out XMas
3) Psychocandy
4) Tonight's The Night
5) Jetlagger
6) Love
7) Songs Of the Recollection
8) Trinity Lane

Here's mine!

1) Trinity Lane
2) Tonight's The Night
3) Love
4) Jetlagger
5) Black Ribbons
6) Songs of the Recollection
7) Psych Out Xmas
8) Psychocandy

I love that your rankings are sorta the antithesis of each other.

I'm doing my job.

@MadLucas - where you at?

Last edited:
I love that your rankings are sorta the antithesis of each other.

I'm doing my job.

@MadLucas - where you at?

This is a tough one, because of how wildly different they all are... It almost didn't seem fair to list them by preference because it's more of a mood thing.

Soooooooooo this is strictly by first thoughts.

Songs Of the Recollection
Psychocandy
Jetlagger
Black Ribbons
Trinity Lane
Psych Out XMas
Love
Tonight's The Night

SOTR is definitely the album I would reach for first. I have spent some good time not just listening but playing pedal steel along with it, it's quite inspiring! And Jetlagger gives me some souled-out Bowie vibes that I love... If anything some of those songs feel too short!

I think PsychOut is low only because of the thematic material, if I ignore the lyrics it would boost it way higher because that sound is ABSOLUTELY in my wheelhouse, as evidenced by Psychocandy's rank.

As far as Love and TTNight, it feels weird seeing them so low... I can only say that Love is one of those "I need to blast it on my third beer" records and I haven't had the opportunity to do just that yet. And TTN is a great album that I have been familiar with for a while, so much so that I find myself reaching for On The Beach or Time Fades Away more when it comes to this style of Neil.

Oh man Satellite Of Love was just killer. That bass line. Magical.

Kill Your Sons - We're just gonna slam this jam into your goddamn soul and you're gonna like it. On repeat, please!

In fact, the way many of these songs extend out and add Lou's spoken word vocal stylings reminds me a lot of our good friend Bob Kidney. Probably what I'm drawn to the most out of this record.

Side D are the ones I'm most familiar with of course. Cool to hear them in this space.

In fact, the way many of these songs extend out and add Lou's spoken word vocal stylings reminds me a lot of our good friend Bob Kidney. Probably what I'm drawn to the most out of this record.

There's a reason these two are next to each other on the autograph wall...

20230412_205428.jpg

This is my favorite Lou band next to the Rock 'N Roll Animal lineup. They had the capability to give every song the proper texture, from finesse and swing to jangle and face-melting crunch. Robert Quine - what an inventive, unique guitarist. Fernando Saunders - super creative on the bass resulting in essentially another lead instrument. Fred Maher - rock solid whether a song needs swing or needs to pummel.

This band was truly lightning in a bottle.

Impressions from first spin through:

I have other Lou live LP's (RNR Animal, Take No Prisoners), so I wasn't sure what to expect going into this one... What would make this different? RNR Animal is epic, flashy, and NY-Stadium-in-a-club-esque, whereas Take No Prisoners is a highlight to hear him off his rocker and ranting.

Here, it was fantastic to hear him like this, just a four-piece with him playing guitar and not just singing. It's special because of its back-to-basics approach.
The real revelations:
1. The non-VU tracks command your attention and do not let up! Particular favorite: "Kill Your Sons."
2. Robert Quine is a perfect, PERFECT fit for these songs! Every note is as perfectly placed as it is a surprise.

@Yer Ol' Uncle D just curious about something.

Having access to our Discogs, are there any records you have had to remove from the running because one or more of us already had it?

Yep. There are some that I would have chosen that I put on hold.

One of the things I've consciously done was send you guys records/artists/genres you didn't already have or were underrepresented in your collections.

It hasn't hampered anything. The largest roadblock has been the availability/cost of some things I'd like to send y'all.

Trust me - I could do this for years and have no issues with records to choose.

Yep. There are some that I would have chosen that I put on hold.

One of the things I've consciously done was send you guys records/artists/genres you didn't already have or were underrepresented in your collections.

It hasn't hampered anything. The largest roadblock has been the availability/cost of some things I'd like to send y'all.

Trust me - I could do this for years and have no issues with records to choose.
I blocked my collection temporarily due to hosting the next AOTM but will change it back soon!

Back