Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

Let's talk about this Swamp Dogg LP.

These songs are great, and his singing is superior to people less than half his age!

The production and mastering are fascinatingly inconsistent. It definitely lends a specific charm that is almost unnecessary, but I am wondering if this is a common thing with his albums. All the songs have their own sound, it's like almost no effort was made to make the production cohesive from track to track giving it a real DIY vibe.

Am I off base here? Anyone know anything about his studio methodology?
He's put out some great albums. I get hooked on them every now and again and play certain songs on repeat until the ear worms fry my brain. Weird dude.

Let's talk about this Swamp Dogg LP.

These songs are great, and his singing is superior to people less than half his age!

The production and mastering are fascinatingly inconsistent. It definitely lends a specific charm that is almost unnecessary, but I am wondering if this is a common thing with his albums. All the songs have their own sound, it's like almost no effort was made to make the production cohesive from track to track giving it a real DIY vibe.

Am I off base here? Anyone know anything about his studio methodology?

I love the disjointed nature of the production and think Jerry was very calculating in developing its sound.

This was Swamp's first record coming out of the pandemic. A couple years down the road, things had become relatively normal in most folks' perception but were still very far from normal in reality. Jerry melded the two pretty brilliantly. The humor is still there, but it's used in a more reality-based sense. He pretty much abandoned the crazy stuff on this record for a more straightforward soul songbook. This is the 'normalcy'. The production values represent the 'reality' - varying levels of autotune, a very DIY sound that could pass for something recorded alone in isolation, a crunchy, almost overdriven bottom end. Things are status quo - the songs- but things are also far from OK - the production. To me, it plays like a transmission from an isolated someone trying to preserve some normalcy for whoever is out there to listen and pass it on, but it's affected by and reflects the resources and the environment in which it's being created.

Last edited:
This sounds like one of those cheesier-sounding 80's era blues records that my dad used to listen to when I was growing up, only with auto-tune! And I say cheesy as a compliment here. I'm not sure how else to describe it, but I think folks will know what I'm talking about.

I'll admit that I was a little hesitant about the auto-tune. Having Sorry You Couldn't Make It as my first introduction to Swamp Dogg, I didn't vibe with Love Loss and Auto-Tune. But I'll be damned if I wasn't bopping around in my work seat listening to these tunes! Guess I need to revisit LL&AT again soon..

Back