Vinyl Me, D - A Free Record Club

I realize I haven't added anything to this thread about this month's albums, so here it goes.

When I opened the box, I almost cried a little bit. The Howlin Wolf album means a lot to me as he is an artist that I spent a lot of time with and have shared with as many people as possible. In fact, my kids and I had dance parties to "Wang Dang Doodle" during the pandemic and I will always cherish a memory like that.

As far as the Paul Butterfield Blues Band album... Disappeared of my life about 15 years ago where I was listening to this album a lot. I enjoyed not just the blues aspects, but the way that they skirted around different tonal modalities and chord changes in their improvisations. I was also very blessed at that time to do a couple gigs with Mark Naftalin, which also sparked my interest in this album.
Interestingly, the exact same day that the box arrived, I went out to watch the Bill Frisell trio perform. In case you did not know, Bill Frisell also has an album called "East/West" which, beyond being related to where things were recorded, was a tribute in name to the PBBB album.

In short, without even realizing it, the two albums from this particular month, were not just albums I enjoyed but had personal significance for me as a person and a musician.

I am honored to be a part of this :)

LOVE this pick - BUT it's already in my collection, so head on over to the PIF thread and throw your name in the hat.

I have some great memories with Sturgill. A sold out show at the old venue I used to be involved with that was so packed that rumor has it that the fire department lowered the max capacity of the building afterward due to the complaints. An epic, jammy set at Forecastle in Louisville. Watching his SNL performance over and over (and over) again. I love this man.

LOVE this pick - BUT it's already in my collection, so head on over to the PIF thread and throw your name in the hat.

I have some great memories with Sturgill. A sold out show at the old venue I used to be involved with that was so packed that rumor has it that the fire department lowered the max capacity of the building afterward due to the complaints. An epic, jammy set at Forecastle in Louisville. Watching his SNL performance over and over (and over) again. I love this man.

Head over here and you can check out ex-Sturgill guitar hotshot Laur Joamets (the guy in the SNL clip) tearing it up with his current gig in Drivin' N' Cryin'.

Taped this just 4 nights ago...

Live Music Is Better - The Taper's Thread

Never gave this artist the time of day... But if he has other albums that sound like this, I can see that was a mistake. And, as someone who just started playing mandolin, this shredder is GOALS for me.

My 4yo son was excited when it came in the mail and he saw the cover... He is obsessed with lawnmowers and immediately needed to hear this record.
Needless to say, he is now obsessed with bluegrass music. It's all he wants to hear and his 6yo sister has some very creative ideas for dancing to this.

I know what is going to be the theme for the next few weeks in this house :)

Thank you, @Yer Ol' Uncle D

Never gave this artist the time of day... But if he has other albums that sound like this, I can see that was a mistake. And, as someone who just started playing mandolin, this shredder is GOALS for me.

My 4yo son was excited when it came in the mail and he saw the cover... He is obsessed with lawnmowers and immediately needed to hear this record.
Needless to say, he is now obsessed with bluegrass music. It's all he wants to hear and his 6yo sister has some very creative ideas for dancing to this.

I know what is going to be the theme for the next few weeks in this house :)

Thank you, @Yer Ol' Uncle D
He has a companion album to this one and you might like The Ballad of Dood & Juanita. I have seen it called bluegrass but it isn’t really. Some of the same musicians are featured in it.

His back catalog. High Top Mountain is his most traditional country album. Metamodern Sounds in Country Music is psychedelic country. A Sailor’s Guide to Earth is his masterpiece, backed by the dap kings horn section and written as a letter to his kid about why he wasn’t home, so damn good. Sound & Fury is weird, the soundtrack to an animated feature he made for Netflix and pretty much Techno-Country?

Last edited:
Back