Vintage Equipment

Hi all.. hope everyone is hanging in there! Looking for a little advice.

I have the opportunity to essentially trade my Luxman L550axii for a fully restored/recapped Pioneer SX-1280 and a mint pair of Pioneer CS99A speakers. I love the Luxman, but I love the 1280 looks and the power. I just picked up a Thorens TD-160 and I gravitated towards the Luxman initially because it had the retro look. I still just have an itch for the real thing.

Anyone ever run Klipsch Heritage speakers with a 1280? Anyone use a restored vintage receiver for everyday use? I'm thinking of trying the L100 or L82 Classics too so like the idea of the extra power. The CS99a's will be tried, but likely sold on or used in a second system.

Talk me into/out of it.. should I just enjoy the retro looks and modern convenience/sound of the Luxman? Or is the 1280 fully restored worth it with all its retro goodness and power?

I'm on the fence.. help.

I have the opportunity to essentially trade my Luxman L550axii for a fully restored/recapped Pioneer SX-1280 and a mint pair of Pioneer CS99A speakers. I love the Luxman, but I love the 1280 looks and the power. I just picked up a Thorens TD-160 and I gravitated towards the Luxman initially because it had the retro look. I still just have an itch for the real thing.

Anyone ever run Klipsch Heritage speakers with a 1280? Anyone use a restored vintage receiver for everyday use? I'm thinking of trying the L100 or L82 Classics too so like the idea of the extra power. The CS99a's will be tried, but likely sold on or used in a second system.

Talk me into/out of it.. should I just enjoy the retro looks and modern convenience/sound of the Luxman? Or is the 1280 fully restored worth it with all its retro goodness and power?

I'm on the fence.. help.
Man, that's a tough one. Is there any kind of warranty on the restored/recapped Pioneer? Even a few months would offer some peace of mind.

Thing is, you know how the Luxman sounds, but you've only dreamed about the Pioneer, so the real question is whether you will be content passing on your chance to scratch that itch. Huge difference in WPC, and obviously a well-regarded vintage classic. I ran a Kenwood KA-9100 for everyday use for several years, and finally decided a couple of years ago to go with something current. You gotta go with your heart. You can always replace the Luxman if it comes to that, but that Pioneer will be hard to come by again. Good luck!

I'm on the fence.. help.
That’s a really really bad swap. Your Luxman is superior in every way. And those speakers are nothing to write home (or anywhere else) about.

These first two comments are like listening to the inner monologue in my head.. lol
Man, that's a tough one. Is there any kind of warranty on the restored/recapped Pioneer? Even a few months would offer some peace of mind.

Thing is, you know how the Luxman sounds, but you've only dreamed about the Pioneer, so the real question is whether you will be content passing on your chance to scratch that itch. Huge difference in WPC, and obviously a well-regarded vintage classic. I ran a Kenwood KA-9100 for everyday use for several years, and finally decided a couple of years ago to go with something current. You gotta go with your heart. You can always replace the Luxman if it comes to that, but that Pioneer will be hard to come by again. Good luck!
@Russ I 30 day warranty.. so not the highest level of confidence. I feel like anything that can go wrong could be solved for under $1k (could be totally wrong about this??) and am willing to take that chance. It's been a week or so since the option presented itself and some days I think its a no brainer to do it...

However, on the flip side..

That’s a really really bad swap. Your Luxman is superior in every way. And those speakers are nothing to write home (or anywhere else) about.

@HiFi Guy I feel like I really know this in my head. I've never heard an SX-1280. Also never heard the CS99's. The other vintage receiver I've been considering is the Sansui 9090db. Also never heard it. Just know what I've read about them.

The JBL itch just isn't going away. I would love to find someone who was willing to trade some L100 Classics for my Forte III's.. i'd throw in the SVS's.. I just have to try the JBL's. I'm sure the Luxman can push them just fine. I'll just need to turn the dial past 11am, which I've never done with the Forte's.

Or maybe I just sell the Forte's and buy the L82's, which will perhaps work better in my 10'x 10' room.

Or maybe I just enjoy what I have.

These first two comments are like listening to the inner monologue in my head.. lol

@Russ I 30 day warranty.. so not the highest level of confidence. I feel like anything that can go wrong could be solved for under $1k (could be totally wrong about this??) and am willing to take that chance. It's been a week or so since the option presented itself and some days I think its a no brainer to do it...

However, on the flip side..

@HiFi Guy I feel like I really know this in my head. I've never heard an SX-1280. Also never heard the CS99's. The other vintage receiver I've been considering is the Sansui 9090db. Also never heard it. Just know what I've read about them.

The JBL itch just isn't going away. I would love to find someone who was willing to trade some L100 Classics for my Forte III's.. i'd throw in the SVS's.. I just have to try the JBL's. I'm sure the Luxman can push them just fine. I'll just need to turn the dial past 11am, which I've never done with the Forte's.

Or maybe I just sell the Forte's and buy the L82's, which will perhaps work better in my 10'x 10' room.

Or maybe I just enjoy what I have.
If, and I say if, you have to have a Pioneer, you want the SX-1250, not the SX-1280, The 50 series had discrete output transistors, the 80 series used ICs in the output section. And the 80 series added the useless power meters.

The Sansui was a nice piece, but too warm sounding for my tastes. I’ve heard all of them. I’d rate the SX-1250 on top, with the Sansui in the middle.

I get liking vintage. There’s lots of vintage I like. These three pieces aren’t among them.

To use another example, I’d love to own one of the last of the air cooled Porsche 911s. The newer ones are faster, have better handling, more power and are safer. But they aren’t a classic air cooled 911.

You’d be taking a huge step backwards, but you want what you want.

If, and I say if, you have to have a Pioneer, you want the SX-1250, not the SX-1280, The 50 series had discrete output transistors, the 80 series used ICs in the output section. And the 80 series added the useless power meters.

The Sansui was a nice piece, but too warm sounding for my tastes. I’ve heard all of them. I’d rate the SX-1250 on top, with the Sansui in the middle.

I get liking vintage. There’s lots of vintage I like. These three pieces aren’t among them.

To use another example, I’d love to own one of the last of the air cooled Porsche 911s. The newer ones are faster, have better handling, more power and are safer. But they aren’t a classic air cooled 911.

You’d be taking a huge step backwards, but you want what you want.
As always I appreciate the honesty. I really don't want to take a step backwards. I'd possibly be ok with taking a sidestep for the sake of trying something different.

Perhaps I can wet my appetite for a vintage system in another room, using a more modest (say Pioneer SX-828) receiver and speaker combo..

Dual guy from Iowa pointed me towards the 1219. I have time on that front, so will wait to see what needs to be done to the Marantz first. I will say an Auto/semi auto table is a MUST have at this point. Daughter is 21 yo and I am sure will need this feature. Also, the Marantz does not have the wood paneling. No biggie. I hope it arrives this week. I am getting excited. I hope to have it up and running by the weekend.
I still have a nice 1219/old grado something here for playing 45/78/and beater records. Works like a charm. Over the holidays we played stacks of oldies 45's and danced, and used it for Christmas records. And my vintage Mc receiver has 2 phono pre's. If you buy one from dual guy or fixmydual you will be set, if you grab one locally have it looked at by someone that knows them and make sure to get it greased so nothing seizes up. If you look underneath it looks like a giant clock insides.

index.jpg

View attachment 84844

These speakers are Dunlavy SC-4/As. I was reading a For Sale ad for a used pair this morning. Had them listed for a bit more than I paid for my set when bought new. They should qualify as vintage. Mine are 27 yrs old. :). To date, not a scratch on them as I keep the cat lock out and it is a dedicated room.

The dealer delivered them. We unboxed and set them up together. The Dunlavys continue to serve me well. Every time I upgrade another component I get a new appreciation for what these speakers do. It was a major stretch to buy them originally but I don’t know of anything else I’ve bought that has given me so many hours of enjoyment. No regrets. They have never left this room.

The ad link below gives some info on John Dunlavy and the SC-4/As. One the the greats of hifi audio and one of his classic speaker designs.

Love this cave of wonders. I dream of a spare room for same one day.

ps. Not intentionally trying to offend but is your carpet also 27 yrs old (hoping it is)

Love this cave of wonders. I dream of a spare room for same one day.

ps. Not intentionally trying to offend but is your carpet also 27 yrs old (hoping it is)

Thx. Yes. Carpet was here when I moved in. Will be asking for volunteers to move everything to put in new flooring. May have to do it in sections. :)

I'm on the fence.. help.
Are you really prepared to look that sexy Class A Luxman right in it's VU meters and say it's over??? What do you need more power for? Your running Fortes in a small room! With two powered subs no less! You'll need to go get your Insight (20/20?) back, too as I can't imagine the Pioneer has the Luxman's level of phonostage on board. This seems like a regret waiting to happen IMO.

Gotta say, the adjustability on the TP-16 tonearm is nice. Super easy to set up and pretty self explanatory.

Am getting the occasional loud "pop".. can't recreate it, doesn't happen at the same spot on albums.. not thrilled with this little development, but was planning on replacing the cart and tonearm wires anyway, so I guess that's where we're headed. Let's see if that fixes the issue. No ground wire on this table, TD-160 uses the right RCA evidently.

Back