Vintage Equipment

Been using a vintage Sansui 2000 for about a month now. Noticing the left channel is going silent/out but if I turn the input to the radio quickly it pops back in. Any ideas on if this could be an easy fix?

Been using a vintage Sansui 2000 for about a month now. Noticing the left channel is going silent/out but if I turn the input to the radio quickly it pops back in. Any ideas on if this could be an easy fix?

I have a vintage Hitachi that did something similar, took it fir a service and it was to do with the front inputs being part of one long continuous circuit, which is engaged when the button is pressed. Over time they can wear, get dirty etc, had it cleaned out and it’s solved the problem for now, but with 40 year old equipment it may reoccur in time

I have a vintage Hitachi that did something similar, took it fir a service and it was to do with the front inputs being part of one long continuous circuit, which is engaged when the button is pressed. Over time they can wear, get dirty etc, had it cleaned out and it’s solved the problem for now, but with 40 year old equipment it may reoccur in time
I had a similar thing as well with an 80's Trio amp. Tried cleaning it myself, but could never get it to work.

Funny that you post this. I am getting some static out of one channel on my new vintage receiver. I am going to pry it open this weekend and see what’s what. Hopefully some deoxit will do the trick.

Funny that you post this. I am getting some static out of one channel on my new vintage receiver. I am going to pry it open this weekend and see what’s what. Hopefully some deoxit will do the trick.

@HiFi Guy reccomended something similar. I've never done anything like that before but seems like the best course of action.

Anybody know where to get a working cassette deck? My kid is into cassettes now and I would like to get a decent one. I got one of those cheap cd/cassette/turntable combos, but it’s no good.

Anybody know where to get a working cassette deck? My kid is into cassettes now and I would like to get a decent one. I got one of those cheap cd/cassette/turntable combos, but it’s no good.
I’d check your local thrift store. If you’re on Facebook, check the marketplace or even Craigslist. You could also check your local record shops to see if they are selling any used equipment.

My dad gave this to me yesterday. Safe to assume it's better for vinyl listening than the one pictured below it? That's my current unit. I'm going to A/B them today, kind of excited to hear the difference.
View attachment 77465

View attachment 77467
That’s actually a tough call, and I’ve owned a Marantz 2270.

If it were me, I’d have the Marantz 100% refurbished and updated with LED lighting. It’ll last another 50 years. It won’t be cheap, but it will be worth it.

That’s actually a tough call, and I’ve owned a Marantz 2270.

If it were me, I’d have the Marantz 100% refurbished and updated with LED lighting. It’ll last another 50 years. It won’t be cheap, but it will be worth it.

Totally agree with this. I've gone through my fair share of vintage receivers (they're so easy to buy and ship) and I've found that pretty much it's a roll of the dice. Maybe it sounds great for a few days, but then a channel drops out for no reason, or the volume is all messed up, or whatever. The NAD316BEEE is a real solid performer and you might actually like it better-- I know Marantz has a sort of mythic status in hifi circles but I was never really blown away by them. You should totally A/B them, and if you like the Marantz, definitely pay for an refurb.

Finally finished the daughters set up. Found an old dual 1249 belt drive in VG condition for $80 (negotiated price) and set it do my local record MD for a lube and belt change. You know you done good when the local ole timer MD can’t find much wrong with the TT when he’s done in 10 days. A9F79E33-E895-4B9E-B1A0-1305A0693797.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A20712B-1D5F-4218-9A1A-854A6731A330.jpeg
    1A20712B-1D5F-4218-9A1A-854A6731A330.jpeg
    120.6 KB · Views: 3
Finally finished the daughters set up. Found an old dual 1249 belt drive in VG condition for $80 (negotiated price) and set it do my local record MD for a lube and belt change. You know you done good when the local ole timer MD can’t find much wrong with the TT when he’s done in 10 days. View attachment 80897
Oh and it sounds GOOOOOD! Having too much fun spinning. And I rather enjoy the auto engage and return on the TT

Back