Vintage Equipment

Deoxit is supposed to be here tomorrow. It really is as simple as exposing the circuits, puff 2 quick blasts in each hole, turn knobs, put cover on right?

Vintage gear was what got me going down the path of 2 channel stereo and vinyl in general - I simply couldn't afford the quality stuff made today. Happy to see this thread here as I spend some time over on Audiokarma as well.

In fact, I think the "newest" piece of gear I have is a restored Thorens TD147 (done by Dave at Vinyl Nirvana). 1983-4?

@HiFi Guy @Satchmo2go opened up the sansui. Here's a picture of the bottom boards. Not seeing any obvious spot where I should use the deoxit especially on the input selector. Do I need to remove the face?

Attachments

• 20201223_160453.jpg
    20201223_160453.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20201223_160426.jpg
    20201223_160426.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 8
@HiFi Guy @Satchmo2go opened up the sansui. Here's a picture of the bottom boards. Not seeing any obvious spot where I should use the deoxit especially on the input selector. Do I need to remove the face?

I take that back. I figured out the volume ones. Not sure about the input selector though. I can provide a pic if necessary

I take that back. I figured out the volume ones. Not sure about the input selector though. I can provide a pic if necessary
You’re really just looking for anything that might serve as a pathway to the inner workings of the switch. Err on the side of overspraying and as already said, turn the knobs a bunch, back and forth. A second spray and more turning wouldn’t hurt either. Also as others have said, this tends to work very well, but in my experience, eventually, the problems will return, which will call for repeating all of this.

You’re really just looking for anything that might serve as a pathway to the inner workings of the switch. Err on the side of overspraying and as already said, turn the knobs a bunch, back and forth. A second spray and more turning wouldn’t hurt either. Also as others have said, this tends to work very well, but in my experience, eventually, the problems will return, which will call for repeating all of this.

Thanks. This reciever is a little unique in the way the input selector is housed but for now it seems to be ok. Time will tell and next time I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing. I wasn't sure if the deoxit getting places it shouldn't was really bad or something not to worry about at the time

Thanks. This reciever is a little unique in the way the input selector is housed but for now it seems to be ok. Time will tell and next time I'll have a better idea of what I'm doing. I wasn't sure if the deoxit getting places it shouldn't was really bad or something not to worry about at the time
Yeah that’s a good question. I’ve always assumed there are places it shouldn’t get (maybe circuit boards?), but usually it’s easy enough to avoid them.

Yeah that’s a good question. I’ve always assumed there are places it shouldn’t get (maybe circuit boards?), but usually it’s easy enough to avoid them.

Yeah the can I bought didn't have the extra fine red tube so some got in places I'd have preferred to avoid when hitting the volume pots but so far (on like hour 2 of playing since letting it all dry plus an overnight wait) it sounds better and my left channel isn't popping out (hoping it stays that way for a while)

Yeah the can I bought didn't have the extra fine red tube so some got in places I'd have preferred to avoid when hitting the volume pots but so far (on like hour 2 of playing since letting it all dry plus an overnight wait) it sounds better and my left channel isn't popping out (hoping it stays that way for a while)
It’s tough without that little tube, which usually makes it possible to direct the spray where you want it to go with some precision. Hard to think about how to get into those switches without it, but glad it’s working out for you so far!

It’s tough without that little tube, which usually makes it possible to direct the spray where you want it to go with some precision. Hard to think about how to get into those switches without it, but glad it’s working out for you so far!

Yeah looking at amazon they apparently changed their packaging to only include the standard tube and then sell a flexible adapter with the small one. Go figure.

I'm picking up a Pioneer Sx-750 locally today to replace my 450. Should have a little extra power as well as an extra input so I can finally hook up my cd player again.
We need pictures. My first real receiver was a Pioneer SX-550 that I bought for $138. I bought it from lawn mowing money when I was 12. Sometime in high school, I upgraded to a Tandberg (lovely but unreliable) and gifted the Pioneer to my older brother. It kept him going through grad school and beyond. I think it finally died when I was 30. Not a bad run for $138.

We need pictures. My first real receiver was a Pioneer SX-550 that I bought for $138. I bought it from lawn mowing money when I was 12. Sometime in high school, I upgraded to a Tandberg (lovely but unreliable) and gifted the Pioneer to my older brother. It kept him going through grad school and beyond. I think it finally died when I was 30. Not a bad run for $138.
Just posted in What's Spinning my first spin...its glorious...loved my 450 so figured I'd stay with the x50 line...
20210120_170600.jpg

045190B7-F1C7-4548-ABEE-932FD401F524.jpeg

These speakers are Dunlavy SC-4/As. I was reading a For Sale ad for a used pair this morning. Had them listed for a bit more than I paid for my set when bought new. They should qualify as vintage. Mine are 27 yrs old. :). To date, not a scratch on them as I keep the cat lock out and it is a dedicated room.

The dealer delivered them. We unboxed and set them up together. The Dunlavys continue to serve me well. Every time I upgrade another component I get a new appreciation for what these speakers do. It was a major stretch to buy them originally but I don’t know of anything else I’ve bought that has given me so many hours of enjoyment. No regrets. They have never left this room.

The ad link below gives some info on John Dunlavy and the SC-4/As. One the the greats of hifi audio and one of his classic speaker designs.

View attachment 84844

These speakers are Dunlavy SC-4/As. I was reading a For Sale ad for a used pair this morning. Had them listed for a bit more than I paid for my set when bought new. They should qualify as vintage. Mine are 27 yrs old. :). To date, not a scratch on them as I keep the cat lock out and it is a dedicated room.

The dealer delivered them. We unboxed and set them up together. The Dunlavys continue to serve me well. Every time I upgrade another component I get a new appreciation for what these speakers do. It was a major stretch to buy them originally but I don’t know of anything else I’ve bought that has given me so many hours of enjoyment. No regrets. They have never left this room.

The ad link below gives some info on John Dunlavy and the SC-4/As. One the the greats of hifi audio and one of his classic speaker designs.

Nice speakers. Sky Hi Audio strikes again. $5000 used? NFW.

Back