Vintage Equipment

TL:DR - what are some some modern speakers (say post 1990) that are good with old vintage tube amps? I know Klipsch, but damn the used market for those are pricey. I just got a new Low watt fisher amp and I am thinking about an office system and its a small room. Just kicking around some ideas and I know this group will pull through with some good suggestions for me. After getting bitten by some vintage bugs, I have come to realize after vintage up front price + repair, it would be MUCH more cost effective to consider some modern(ish) equipment that will blend with my tube amp. I am posting this in the tube section, too. TIA team!

TL:DR - what are some some modern speakers (say post 1990) that are good with old vintage tube amps? I know Klipsch, but damn the used market for those are pricey. I just got a new Low watt fisher amp and I am thinking about an office system and its a small room. Just kicking around some ideas and I know this group will pull through with some good suggestions for me. After getting bitten by some vintage bugs, I have come to realize after vintage up front price + repair, it would be MUCH more cost effective to consider some modern(ish) equipment that will blend with my tube amp. I am posting this in the tube section, too. TIA team!

I’d say anything over 90dB in the efficiency stakes would be good with tubes.

Tannoy are another classic pairing but I can’t imagine you’ll get much of their better stuff on the cheap.

Putting the MAC gear in for the holidays... Makes me nostalgic.
View attachment 191071
Y'know how you go to someone's house for the first time, and you secretly look around to see if they have a stereo system, and usually they don't? You are whose house I wish I walked into.

Last edited:
Does this seem like a good deal? Guy says it works perfect. Still waiting on pics of the back and the casing (says it's not wooden, unsure if that's stock?)

Similar add for comparison.
Wouldn't hurt to offer $450 and see what happens IMO.

Similar add for comparison.
Wouldn't hurt to offer $450 and see what happens IMO.
Thanks, had 450 in my mind initially.

Last edited:
My most recent little vintage equipment project, over the last week or so, was to assemble a budget system to listen to while I'm staying in Georgia (far away from Oregon...) with my elderly Mom who needs assistance.

To keep it simple, I decided on streaming high-resolution audio via Qobuz would be my primary/sole source, avoiding accumulation of physical media. Not counting the costs of a brand-new streaming unit (I picked WiiM Pro Plus for $220 on Amazon), and any necessary cables/accessories, I set my budget at $600 max for used gear I could find in the area.

It didn't take me long to find and purchase what I think will be a system that performs well above what I paid for it, and I even came in well under even my modest $600 budget. I'll get to hear how well I did when I get everything hooked up in the next week or two (this week is a major upgrade to the electrical system of Mom's house).

I spent $466.00 for the following:
  • $106.00 = a pair of Pioneer SP-FS52 (Andrew Jones) tower speakers - a mixed pair from an outlet store (one manufactured in 2012, the other in 2016)
  • $360.00 = a Luxman R-115 receiver, along with a Luxman K-110 cassette deck and DZ-111 compact disc player - from a downsizing audio-video equipment collector

I'm particularly excited about the Luxman receiver, as I wanted something warmer and "tube-like" (as my system back home is tube-based) but still with the ease of usage of solid-state. I've read that this Luxman receiver is a top pick for that sound characteristic.

Attachments

• Luxman receiver, tape deck, cd player (front) 20240205_165219.jpg
    Luxman receiver, tape deck, cd player (front) 20240205_165219.jpg
    642.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Pioneer SP-FS52 (Andrew Jones) tower speaker 20240205_165700.jpg
    Pioneer SP-FS52 (Andrew Jones) tower speaker 20240205_165700.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
Awesome. I take that it only plays large whole 45s? Have you gone down a restoration path or anything on yours? I’m cleaning it up a bit, but thinking it may just be best to exist as a display piece.
I honestly have not even tried to turn it on, I suspect finding a cart would be nearly impossible but who knows. I just use mine for display. But if you google the model number you will find heaps of info regarding that stuff as well as detailed schematics.

Back