Upcoming/Recent Shows

saw Black Country, New Road (9/21)
PXL_20230922_011737054.jpg
and OSEES (9/22)
PXL_20230923_012310949.MP.jpg

a real Jekyll and Hyde show scenario that's been happening the last 3 years, where I see the Osees on my birthday and something totally different the night before.

both shows were great...BC,NR was stunningly beautiful and OSEES was relentlessly aggressive. fantastic evenings all around!

Last Thursday I saw Mike Watt’s current project mssv at the Griffin. It’s a big, dark, dungeon like bar in the front with a small room in the back. There were maybe 30 people total. The set was a solid hour and was very good. I didn’t take any pictures because my camera sucks in the dark.
Fun fact: I proposed to my wife in this same room many years ago.

Friday, Saturday & Sunday was the Life Is Beautiful festival. My wife and myself attended Friday and some of Saturday.
This year marked its 10th anniversary and the second year under current owners, Rolling Stone. This once very unique festival has now been scaled back with its immersive interactions and there are rumors swirling that the festival will move location. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs and the Killers were fantastic, but this year seemed more focused on capturing your money.

Great little mini concert at a small venue (probably 80 people max) all members of our local radio station for Sports Team. Great time and definitely a fan of them, although it was weird being seated! They were out of LPs but I got a CD and a setlist signed.

PXL_20230925_230946185.MP.jpg

Depeche Mode in Mexico City.

Was nice to see a visual tribute to Andrew Fletcher…as the song went on, his picture remained on the screen but appeared to age.

Also, an INSANE amount of unofficial merch tents outside of the venue…seemingly 100’s of them. Official merch was inside, but I guess Mexico is still the Wild Wild West with respect to merch.

IMG_2331.jpeg

IMG_2337.jpeg

Went to see CHAI for the second time on Monday. Even more of a blast than last time, especially with COVID-19 restrictions eased off.
Clerical error, I mentioned earlier how Jess Williamson from a month ago was the last concert I would attend at the Doug Fir Lounge, when in actuality this show will be the final at this current location.

26fix

Indie pop/alternative dance group from Salt Lake City, UT. Thought they were kinda boring, with their drummer trying way to hard to toss around jokes, ad-libs, and attempts to pump the audience up. Lead vocalist Erika Goodwin was kinda bland and kept messing with pedals for too long in songs, it seemed that the rhythm section had to keep up some of the instrumental breaks when she got her settings right in at least two instances. Her vocals were very washed out of the mix.

20230925_201730.jpg20230925_201556.jpg

CHAI

Such an absolute blast! Set that ran for ~65min w/encore, focusing on their new self-titled release, and several songs from the excellent WINK.

Body dysmorphia and the beauty found within each other is a central theme to the message of their music. Band members Mana (マナ), Kana (カナ), Yuuki (ユウキ), and Yuna (ユナ) comprise the band with the first two being twin sisters. Yuuki wasn't at last year's Portland date, so I was excited to see her be part of the crew this go around. They ran through songs at a comfortable pace with lots of energetic/chaotic dancing from the twin sisters near the last songs of the main set.

Initially, they marched out to the stage to a prerecorded track wearing full-bodied squid uniforms (difficult to explain, just believe me here), but stripped off clothing more and more as the set went on. An example of this is on the video below during "ACTION" and at the end, their outfits reduced to the appearance of the bottom-left photo. They all donned band shirts for the encore of two oldies from PINK, when they brandished more of a punk-angle to their tunes. After every three songs or so, Mana made sure to give a peppy "WE ARE CHAAAIIIIII!!!!" to get the crowd energized, always succeeding without fail.

20230925_205457.jpg20230925_211630.jpg20230925_215310.jpg20230925_220753.jpg

Video of "ACTION" a couple of songs into the set. It's like getting K-pop choreography and crowd wooing but for a mere fraction of the price! You'll know what I'm talking about...

Post-show

Had a great time from dancing around in the encore set and had to take a moment to catch my breath. Overheard many of the folks gushing about how much joy the whole show exuded.
After the set ended, Mana and Yuna popped down from backstage over to the merch table to say hi to folks and possibly sign items. A line formed quickly, though I wasn't in any rush so I took a chance to look at what offerings were here for the tour. Taking a quick view at the merch available: vinyl were $30/each, two different tee designs at $40/each (seemed excessive), and tote bags for $20/each. Most interestingly, they even had a Gachapon (ガチャポン) station to the side! For $5, you receive a ¥500 coin in return to insert into the vending machine, twist the knob, and out pops a capsule containing a randomized item among at least five possible. From what I saw, there were: anime-ized styles of each member of CHAI on a metal button, a CHAI mini post-it note stack, a small CHAI keychain, mini CHAI figurines, and a CHAI sticker set. I opted not to get one, though I regret it now...kind of like how I still have at least ¥120000+ unused currency sitting in my room's desk drawer from my Japan trip in April. :LOL:
Took ~15min from when I got in line to get to the front. When it came to my turn, I spoke to them a bit in Japanese with casual greetings and expressing that the concert was very fun. I requested the two for the WINK jacket I brought from home to get signed, and Mana commented that my Japanese was very good, with me replying that she was too kind (though she insisted). After peering at the merch table, I ultimately did decide to buy their new record, originally not seeing that all four members had presigned the new record on the right hand side. I do like their new self-titled album, though not nearly to the extent of WINK, which was one of my top50 from 2021. Then again, I haven't given it nearly enough listens to provide a more rigid opinion. I wished the ladies well and thanked them again for coming to Oregon.
I forgot to get my Sharpie back, though no worries as it didn't seem they had one on hand. What a genuinely exuberant, joyous, energetic performance and night. I love these ladies to death. ❤️

20230926_185809.jpg

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
Great night with Bob Weir and Wolf Bros + Wolf Pack last night in Columbus, OH. Grateful Dead played here 9-30-76, which Bobby acknowledged, the most I've heard him banter on stage in person ever.

Setlist was mixed. 2nd set was a little sleepy, but highlighted by some cool covers. Bobby was teasing the China Cat riff basically the entire night. His tinny guitar tone was worse this year than when I saw him last year, but vocally he was 100% and the band is straight fire.

PXL_20230927_015454547.jpg

Depeche Mode in Mexico City.

Was nice to see a visual tribute to Andrew Fletcher…as the song went on, his picture remained on the screen but appeared to age.

Also, an INSANE amount of unofficial merch tents outside of the venue…seemingly 100’s of them. Official merch was inside, but I guess Mexico is still the Wild Wild West with respect to merch.

View attachment 183193

View attachment 183194

Nice! Going to see them in Montreal on Nov 3rd. Really excited to get this off my bucket list.

Oh man they're in town tomorrow for me and I've been debating going for weeks. Ahhh!
after last night's show I'd suggest going if you were thinking about it, especially if you enjoy a high energy, full throttle show. they mostly stuck to their last two albums, heavy emphasis on Data Doom material, with a few oldies in the mix. but along with Frankie being really great, I also gotta hand it to the crowd last night, they wanted to exactly what they got, and I love being at those shows!

after last night's show I'd suggest going if you were thinking about it, especially if you enjoy a high energy, full throttle show. they mostly stuck to their last two albums, heavy emphasis on Data Doom material, with a few oldies in the mix. but along with Frankie being really great, I also gotta hand it to the crowd last night, they wanted to exactly what they got, and I love being at those shows!
I got scheduled for an emergency task at work tonight so I guess that answers that!

Not sure if there's a better place for this, but Cory Hanson just announced some tour dates. The room he's playing here is 100 person capacity, tops. He's going to blow the roof off.

Not sure if there's a better place for this, but Cory Hanson just announced some tour dates. The room he's playing here is 100 person capacity, tops. He's going to blow the roof off.

I'm seeing him in Toronto in November — looking forward to having my face melted completely off.

Back