Upcoming/Recent Shows

Next Blossom Music Center Lawn Pass show tonight was Mudvayne. I knew I wasn't going to make it for the whole thing, but GWAR was opening so I just had to go for that much.

Butcher Babies were up first. I'm not saying they were bad, but they weren't good. Interesting cover of Saweetie's "Best Friend" though.

PXL_20230804_213613156.jpg

Nonpoint was up next. Actually not bad.

PXL_20230804_223002752.jpg

Finally, GWAR! Let's see... An execution of Rootin' Tootin' Vladimir Putin, first cutting off his hands and then fully disemboweling him. Next, naughty activities with a physical embodiment of Chat GPT. And so much more. Wow, to be in the front row would have been...wet.

PXL_20230804_231910684.MP.jpg
PXL_20230804_231915264.jpg

Then I got the heck outta there. Early night!

Next Blossom Music Center Lawn Pass show tonight was Mudvayne. I knew I wasn't going to make it for the whole thing, but GWAR was opening so I just had to go for that much.

Butcher Babies were up first. I'm not saying they were bad, but they weren't good. Interesting cover of Saweetie's "Best Friend" though.

View attachment 179365

Nonpoint was up next. Actually not bad.

View attachment 179366

Finally, GWAR! Let's see... An execution of Rootin' Tootin' Vladimir Putin, first cutting off his hands and then fully disemboweling him. Next, naughty activities with a physical embodiment of Chat GPT. And so much more. Wow, to be in the front row would have been...wet.

View attachment 179367
View attachment 179368

Then I got the heck outta there. Early night!
ha ha...I just came across an old stash of concert tickets and GWAR was in there....

but more than anything I'm blown away by ticket prices back in the day...I can't believe I paid $13 to see RATM and $17.50 to see TOOL 🤯
PXL_20230806_155641611.MP.jpg

Next up: 50 Cent with Busta Rhymes and Jeremih
I gotta say, 50 killed it. Super impressed and he had a live backing band.

PXL_20230807_010658308.MP.jpg

Busta played off his legacy pretty hard. Didn't really say more than 1 line at a time and leaned heavily into his supports. Then he hyped up when he finally spit a few extended lines. Respect the dude but don't need to go out of my way to see him again.

PXL_20230807_001702122.jpg

Wasn't very familiar with Jeremih but he was enjoyable enough. Played Birthday Sex during his own set and also came out and played it again during 50's set.

PXL_20230806_231702626.jpg

ha ha...I just came across an old stash of concert tickets and GWAR was in there....

but more than anything I'm blown away by ticket prices back in the day...I can't believe I paid $13 to see RATM and $17.50 to see TOOL 🤯
View attachment 179442
I would've paid $13 just for The Jesus Lizard opener.

I originally bought tickets to see Carly Rae Jepsen at an outdoors venue in New York on two consecutive nights. Four songs into Carly’s set on the first night, lightning struck in the area and the venue shut the show down. Carly decided to make the most of the night (ha), and found a small club to play some songs for the first 150 people to show up who had tickets to the cancelled show. Way more people showed up than the venue could handle, so she ended up playing a short five song set, cleared out the room, then did the same for the next group of people waiting in line. I somehow managed to get into the third and final set and sang along loudly in a tiny room packed with diehard fans.

The next day, she added an early afternoon matinee and honored tickets from the previous night for those who could make it. Anyone who couldn't attend on short notice (or get out of work because it was a 3 p.m. show) were offered refunds. So I ended up going to the matinee, exited as quickly as I could, then joined the line for the originally scheduled evening performance. The evening show's setlist ended up being 26 songs (inclusive of two encores).

My sleep schedule is a mess, but I feel incredibly fortunate for being able to see Carly that much in a two day span.

2sz8mhM.jpg

rzUX0t8.png

E9rO2lJ.png

Kre4GE2.png

Last edited:
The Blossom Lawn Pass saga continues...

With Nickelback!

Opener Josh Ross was some standard radio country. Highlight was a cover of Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"

PXL_20230809_223407202.jpg

Brantley Gilbert was up next. I don't think he understood the irony of playing 3 bootlicking god bless the troops songs in a row and then playing the a Rage Against The Machine outro. Was surprised how many songs I knew, but yeah not my thing.

PXL_20230809_233621530.jpg

Nickelback finished the night. I think one of my favorite things was that Chad seemed to be in on the joke. They sounded damn near the albums and played all the hits. Brought a radio contest winner on stage to sing Rock Star who claimed to be a professional singer but oof, not good. They also did a cover of Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" with the two openers. I gotta say though, I enjoyed it. What???

PXL_20230810_010728721.jpg

Last edited:
The Blossom Lawn Pass saga continues...

With Nickelback!

Opener Josh Ross was some standard radio country. Highlight was a cover of Goo Goo Dolls "Iris"

View attachment 179676

Brantley Gilbert was up next. I don't think he understood the irony of playing 3 bootlicking god bless the troops songs in a row and then playing the a Rage Against The Machine outro. Was surprised how many songs I knew, but yeah not my thing.

View attachment 179677

Nickelback finished the night. I think one of my favorite things was that Chad seemed to be in on the joke. They sounded damn near the albums and played all the hits. Brought a radio contest winner on stage to sing Rock Star who claimed to be a professional singer but oof, not good. They also did a cover of Steve Earle's "Copperhead Road" with the two openers. I gotta say though, I enjoyed it. What???

View attachment 179678
Two country acts opened up for Nickelback? WTF

Two country acts opened up for Nickelback? WTF
I thought the same when the tour was first announced. Granted, Brantley Gilbert can sound very butt rock when he wants to, and the new Nickelback album has a bit of a modern country flair to it. See: High Times, Those Days, both of which they played last night

I thought the same when the tour was first announced. Granted, Brantley Gilbert can sound very butt rock when he wants to, and the new Nickelback album has a bit of a modern country flair to it. See: High Times, Those Days, both of which they played last night
I mean In not listening to either to try to figure it out. Just seemed odd.

Those are always fun. How was Willie (last time I saw him before COVID, it was a little… well the next night he flicked off the crowd and cancelled his set)
Definitely in a good mood last night, but his playing is, well, noticeably from a 90 year old. Still got some licks, but his timing is all over and his son Micah was doing the heavy lifting. Voice still sounds pretty good. Last time I saw him his sister was still alive and kind of stole the show. Now that she and his long time drummer have passed away it's a bit different. Fogerty was actually supposed to have a longer set than Willie, but the long rain delay forces plans to adjust.

Definitely in a good mood last night, but his playing is, well, noticeably from a 90 year old. Still got some licks, but his timing is all over and his son Micah was doing the heavy lifting. Voice still sounds pretty good. Last time I saw him his sister was still alive and kind of stole the show. Now that she and his long time drummer have passed away it's a bit different. Fogerty was actually supposed to have a longer set than Willie, but the long rain delay forces plans to adjust.
Yeah last time I saw him, his voice wasn’t great either. His playing had been an issue for a few years though. I did get to see him in the late 90s though and it was glorious. Good to hear his voice is in good shape.

I got to see @zdkaiser for the first time in 4 years. Luckily there was a music fest in our home town. So we brought our families down and I “forced” him to listen to some Americana! Due to sleep, travel and work, we didn’t stay for Joshua Hedley. But Aaron Lee Tasjan and Lauren Morrow were fantastic!

IMG_7407.jpegIMG_7413.jpeg

Late night show seeing Jessy Lanza for a second time. Doors weren't until 9:00 PM, with a pair of DJs running for two hours before Jessy's 50min set had begun.

She played the majority of her new release Love Hallucination with a song each from her past albums; "Badly" from All the Time, "It Means I Love You" from Oh No, and "Keep Moving" from Pull my Hair Back. Not as much energy from Jessy this time around, but still fun and infectious tunes all the same. She even played an electronic wind instrument (EWI) during an instrumental breakdown in "It Means I Love You." No encore.

Jessy brought along her sister Angie for this tour, with her alternating between drumkit and electric bass.

20230812_231748.jpg20230812_232413.jpg20230812_234615.jpg20230812_234839.jpg

Video of recent certified bop "Limbo":

Post-show

About a minute after Jessy's set finished, another DJ began a set in the main floor. Waited around for a bit, knowing that there was another performer slated to start sometime within the hour, but not planning to stay for his set with it being midnight already. Less than 10min into the DJs set, Jessy went to talk the attendant running the merch table. I hurried over to the table where the attendant pointed out to Jessy that I was waiting at her side not even a minute later. She was just as friendly as I remember from two years ago. I requested for my copy of Love Hallucination purchased earlier in the day to be signed, with me providing the flashlight from my phone to help her sign amid the darkness in the stage room. She even remembered me from last time when I mentioned her last stop at this venue, while asking for confirmation on the spelling of my name a few times 🥰 She gave me a hug afterwards and mentioned she'll be back again next year. I headed home afterwards after ~10min of listening to the DJs, where the selections + dance floor morphed into near rave levels, and not being particularly interested in sticking around for a set that would start at nearly 1:00 AM.

20230813_074802.jpg

Compliments this one well from last time:

20230813_075033.jpg

EDIT: grammar

Last edited:
Mastodon and Gojira the other night at the amphitheatre. Wasn't really familiar with Gojira beforehand. An hour straight of pure pummeling riffage and heavy grooves, loved it. The pre-show joint certainly didn't hurt.

Was my third time seeing Mastodon since last spring. Not the best sound at the outdoor venue that night but they continue to rule and with an exciting career-spanning set list each time. Loved the Cysquatch appearance.

PXL_20230817_004835897.jpg
PXL_20230817_023726875.jpg
PXL_20230817_024507713.jpg

Last edited:
Last night at MSG - The National's first ever headlining gig there. I was afraid the room was too big for them, but they proved my fears to be unfounded. Such incredible energy in that room last night. This was show #49 for me.

1692457831548.jpeg

Also, Patti Smith is a goddess. Incredible opening set.

1692457945557.jpeg

Back