Upcoming/Recent Shows

Caught Blitzen Trapper at The Ruins in Hood River last night. Finally had a band that I wanted to see playing at this venue I've been wanting to check out. Old shell of a warehouse style building near the railroad. Was perfect for a mild evening show in the Oregon gorge area.

View attachment 174494View attachment 174495
Such a great venue. I've seen Built to Spill and a number of other random bands play there over the years. How did Blitzen Trapper sound?

June 1 - Hot Chip, 9:30 Club. This was just last night! I'd seen Hot Chip once before at Echostage on the tour for Why Make Sense? back in 2015. I thought they sounded a lot better this time around. The setlist was also better this time, and hit all of my faves except "Started Right" (but I heard that at the 2015 show at least). Even the songs that I was less familiar with were just such fun vibes and the crowd was really into it. Weirdly, most of the people didn't seem to know the songs from "One Life Stand" and I was literally the only person who seemed to be excited for "Boy From School" but at least people weren't yelling over the music or trying to fight each other. It was also a good reminder that I need to turn the volume up when I listen to Hot Chip because there are lots of parts to their songs that I just hadn't heard and fully appreciated until hearing them live. So damn good. After the 2015 show, I was kind of on the fence about seeing them live again because it didn't seem like they really had figured out how to translate their songs from the studio to a live show all that well, but they sold me last night.
I was at that same Hot Chip show last week. I also saw the band on the Bath Full of Ecstasy Tour in 2019 at the 9:30 Club. The setlists for both shows were pretty similar. The band basically sticks to their most popular songs and adds in new songs from each album. I'm not complaining, though, as it results in a really fun show. A lot of their songs play a lot better live than on the album, too. Especially I Feel Better and Over and Over. Hot Chip is one of those bands, now, that I plan to see whenever they are in D.C. touring a new album.

Last Dead & Company show.

Left my house around 1:30 and arrived in a line of traffic waiting to get into the venue about 2 miles away at about 3:30. By 5:30, we were still 1.5 miles away and there was no way we were gonna be able to park at the venue in time for the 1st set, maybe even the full show at that rate. I bailed on the car to walk to the venue and see what the situation was to report back to my dad who was driving. Oh what a cluster it was, and I couldn't get cell signal to text him back. Eventually my dad ditched the car in an abandoned lot and walked as well. We made it in 15 minutes before the show started, and we were LUCKY. Didn't even make it to Shakedown, which is an absolute bummer.

Show was great. Probably the best they've sounded at a show I've been in attendance for. It really hit me during China Doll (of all songs) that it was my last show and I started crying. Crazy how special this band has become in the 8 years that I've been following. Tons of firsts for me from Dead & Co - Alabama Getaway, Bertha, Big Boss Man, China Rider, China Doll, Don't Ease Me In, Jack Straw, Peggy-O, The Weight, Truckin'.

Leaving the venue, I think there were just as many cars lining the streets outside the venue, in random parking lots, and in the median on the highway (!!!) than were in the actual parking lot. Ok, that's an exaggeration, but there was a huge wave of people that walked along with us back to the area we parked, again 1.5 miles away. Looking at the Instagram comments, sounded like a lot of people didn't even make it in at all and I guess they closed the parking lot to new cars at some point. Can't help but remember the groups of people looking for miracles around the gate and wonder how many of their cars took up spots in the lot.

saw The Eras tour on Sunday and can honestly say, of the hundreds of shows I've seen, I've never seen anything like what Taylor Swift did. Everything was presented perfectly. The visuals, the way the Eras were represented, the song choices for the eras themselves. The way the crowd was as much a part of the show as Taylor, either through their participation and exuberance or the way everyone was given a wristband that light up in different sequences to be a part of the show. 60,000 people all having the best night of their lives. Really was a special show and unlike anything I've ever been too.

June 9 - Tank and the Bangas @ The Atlantis

Mostly bought this ticket just to check out DC’s newest venue. It’s a pretty great space - very small and intimate and crowded but space carved out for bars on all three levels (main floor, balcony, and rooftop). The band was really high-energy and fun - the crowd was really into it. Was really impressed with the drummer because he looked really young but was really talented.

BA681B56-D834-4A12-9AE2-1EFF737D1E42.jpeg

June 10 - The Pixies, Franz Ferdinand @ the Anthem

Had never seen either band. I missed the first opener, Bully. Franz Ferdinand sounded kind of messy live, not as tight as they sound on the records. They played all the hits and I feel like I got what I wanted and don’t really need to try to see them again. Seemed like a lot of people left after their set.

The Pixies with their current line-up were cool, but again, I don’t think I’d need to see them again. They also played all the hits (except Gigantic, because it would be weird without Kim Deal).

B74E1F9E-A48D-4413-868C-A20469E4A3AF.jpeg

Blossom Music Center Lawn Pass show #2

The weather played a huge role in this one, as it was pretty much pouring from the minute we pulled into the lot. We sat in that rain for the opener, Twilight Sad, who I really enjoyed despite the inclement weather.

PXL_20230611_232956101.jpg

Soon after they wrapped up their set the lightning and thunder started.

PXL_20230612_000704709.jpg

So at Blossom the main parking lot is easily a 10 minute walk, so forget going back to the cars. We hunkered down, and after about a half hour we got the green light that the show was going to start soon. Saw a couple get freaking ENGAGED around this time. Wild! Improved our position on the lawn due to the craziness, but the damage was done. Shoes were completely water logged. Mood was so so.

The Cure came on and did their thing. As I admitted in The Cure thread, I'm not super familiar with their material outside "the hits" so I was mostly just along for the ride. Man, Robert Smith still sounds amazing. That being said, standing in water logged shoes for 3 hours when I'm just getting over being sick was not in the cards. We left after the first encore even though we knew the second encore would be basically just as long as the first set and include most all of the hits. I just didn't have it in me, and that's ok. Glad I went.

PXL_20230612_010334340.jpg

Last edited:
Lucked into a comp ticket for Love & Rockets on Saturday night in Philly at the Fillmore.

The band sounded great, light show was on point, they didn't play All In My Mind, but the medley of Ball of Confusion/War was (sadly) still relevant.

I really enjoyed it, and got to meet up with some old friends from college (1980s)

Pix to come from mobile...IMG_9573.jpegIMG_9583.jpegIMG_9587.jpegIMG_9592.jpeg

^^^
Totally agree.

Love And Rockets are absolutely worth checking out on this tour. Light show was perfect and the guys were really into playing!

Going to see bands from the old days playing reunion tours can be a crap-shoot. But these guys delivered! They sounded as good as ever to my old gen-x ears.

Only difference from way back when was that probably no one in the audience was tripping.
Back in the day at least half the crowd would’ve dropped acid! 😺

Last edited:
Went to the first and second day of ReSet in NOLA. First up was Big Freeda:
IMG_9627.jpeg

Next up was Idles, they put on a killer show. I recommend seeing them if you ever have the chance.
IMG_9635.jpeg

Then Jamie XX was really fun. @debianlinux and I even got candy I guess because we gave off the old raver vibes

IMG_9646.jpeg

Then LCD Soundsystem and what can I say except that they were amazing. The sound was crisp and everyone on stage didn’t miss a beat.

IMG_9655.jpeg

The next day, the first two acts were canceled due to lightning, which sucked, but we grabbed the falafel feast tray at 1000 Figs and it was exceptional, so if you are ever in Nola and need Greek food, go there.

Clairo did play and I think they might have been better in a smaller venue.

IMG_9662.jpeg

And of course Boygenius which I enjoyed, but wished was in a smaller venue as well. I love Lucy, but have a new found respect for Julien. She really brings it.

IMG_9671.jpeg

So after having to cancel my trip to Cincinnati this week to see Dead & Company, I found myself in town in NE Ohio to see Billy Strings instead! Billy show #8 for me. Always a blast. Found my way into the pit thanks to a friend even though I only had nosebleed GA tickets. Highly recommend seeing a show at Nautica if you're ever in town.
PXL_20230615_030041207.jpg

Clairo did play and I think they might have been better in a smaller venue.

And of course Boygenius which I enjoyed, but wished was in a smaller venue as well.
Everything is better in a small venue.

If I lived in NOLA, I'd be living in a van down by the river as my wife would divorce me because I'd be going to a show every night.

Saw Govt Mule tonight (great show), and the bass player wore this shirt - anyone know who it is? My vote is a young John Bonham, but I don’t feel certain about that.
View attachment 175274View attachment 175275

Damn - I didn't know Jorgen Carlsson was out.

That shirt looks like a cross between Lemmy and Poseidon.

Our son's first show was Gov't Mule at the ripe old age of 12.

We braved the traffic on I-95 and drove to Philadelphia to see Dead and Co. last night. (for those who might not know, a tanker exploded under the highway and destroyed a section, so traffic is being rerouted onto local streets and its a nightmare) We debated blowing off the show because of this, it took 2+ hours to get there, should be a 50 minute drive without traffic.

Amazing show, so glad we sat in stop and go traffic for that extra hour. I’m not a fan of stadium shows per se, but we had a blast. of course, my husband now wants to go to the two Citifield shows…

IMG_1067.jpeg

Back