Upcoming/Recent Shows

King Tuff at Mississippi Studios - Portland 3/6.

I'm not sure there's an artist that puts me in a better mood every time I see them more than King Tuff. Fantastic and fun show again last night. Love when myView attachment 168923 gal really enjoys the show too.
saw him last night in Brooklyn, it felt like it took a little bit for both the crowd and band to fully warm up, which seemed weird especially since the opening band, Tchotchke, put on a tremendous set... the crowd was cheering them for an encore but that didn't happen.

the worst part is when things got on track and was going really great they got hit with a hard curfew and had to leave before playing all the old, crowd pleasers.

it was a good show, just some stiffness with the crowd, light technical issues, and poor time management affected what could have been a killer evening.

TCHOTCHKE
PXL_20230325_005517109.MP.jpg

KING TUFF
PXL_20230325_015926637.jpg
PXL_20230325_021911280.MP.jpg

that said, had to pick up the Tchotchke record simply off their performance last night, I haven't listened to it yet but I'm looking forward to it!
PXL_20230325_164448012.jpg

Great little night out at the big arena in Cleveland for John Mayer solo. Pleasantly surprised at how engaging he made a solo acoustic arena tour.

Joy Oladokun opened the show. I had seen her before at Railbird in 2021 with a full band, but her solo was waaaaaay cooler.
PXL_20230326_000626920.MP.jpg

Then Johnny Boy. Had 3 stations that he switched between. Sitting guitar, standing guitar, and piano. Played a great mix of hits and deep cuts. Only eye-roller he played was Your Body is a Wonderland. Did a great cover of Friend of the Devil.

PXL_20230326_011514303.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday evening was the 6th annual 330 Day, a celebration of local artists from the 330 area code here in NE Ohio. 23 artists each performed 1 song over the course of 3 hours. While I have 23 pictures from the show, I won't clog this page with all of them. Here's the highlights:

I've been a big fan of local jazz pianist Theron Brown for a while. He's got a slick as heck trio, but it was just him solo for his song here. Lovely.
PXL_20230330_232521609.jpg

Benny Lava & the Guavas was a nice surprise. The lead singer owns one of the recording studios in town so I'm sure he had his pick of great musicians to form this band. This was also one of saxophonist JT's many appearances throughout the night.
PXL_20230330_234657176.jpg

Jen Maurer did a solo song channeling her best Joan Baez. It was stunning.
PXL_20230331_005255550.MP.jpg

I know a few people are fans of The Shootouts on here.
PXL_20230331_012134841.jpg

And then finally The Kidney Brothers from The Numbers Band. #1 highlight of the night for me and I go into more detail why in D's AOTM thread for Numbers Band.

Sunny Day Real Estate @ Observatory North Park, San Diego

Saw Sunny Day Real Estate on their reunion tour last night. While I have some familiarity with them, went with a few folks who have really gone deep with the band. All of us agreed it was a fantastic show. From my perspective and not knowing the lyrics, it was an incredibly emotional show. Lots of build up/release, and some incredible counterpoint guitar playing. Was surprised at just how well Jeremy's voice has held up as well. I've seen him solo, but the range he has to pull for an electric full band show on a regular basis is something else.

As a band they really seemed into it too. Hopefully there is some new music on the horizon.

1680802618523.jpeg

Some picks from the last few weeks, had a busy and great stretch of shows for me and for my gal.

Hiss Golden Messenger solo at the St Francis in Bend. A guy I rarely miss.
2E886799-C276-4FAA-8662-CCAD0F657588.jpeg

Eyelids record release show at Mississippi Studios in Portland. Check out their latest record if you're into those Power Pop/indie sounds. Fun seeing members of The Decemberists, Camper Van, REM, Boston Spaceships and Sprinkler all together in this venture.

A4A9E5F1-5751-43D3-BBA4-1AC02CFB5574.jpeg

Elle King at Revolution Hall. Not totally my thing, but enjoyed her energy. The older stuff sounded more up my alley. The gals loved this show.
A3234076-21BA-45BC-AFA3-208E18560202.jpeg

Morgan Wade at Revolution Hall. I really enjoy Morgan. Band and show was a bit tighter than the last time. Getting their show together. Ready for her to put out some new music.
1E0D5611-CAEF-47CB-835C-03B31BCCC13B.jpeg

Made our way out to Pappy & Harriet's while in the Palm Springs area for The Tallest Man On Earth. While eatingsome great BBQ caught the sound check for what I think was Hooverii, who was opening the indoor stage later for Death Valley Girls. A really fun venue about 45 minutes from Palm Springs up in the hills. Tallest Man sounded great. Didn't make out to the end, kids and gal we're getting cold up there and we had to fly out at the crack.
2B2DBB37-1113-4127-A550-335163641F04.jpeg7A64167F-1D4C-4E73-B065-1ACDD139A795.jpeg

I know shows are completely based on popularity nowadays on who opens and closes, but Broken Social Scene opening for boygenius is just plain weird to me. I'm on BSS's mailing list and they sent out info for this show.

TKXHLHeLsqYr7mi9wv7R_T9IWTG89XPhYtMX-DBYtYPcwpUEL_VPPROxj9n93z9wXvQeNrGBJVrhbzmDD9pfm7-N66wmf8w_32QHQ9UZ-z6qzZ78tK9h5A=s0-d-e1-ft

Which reminds me of a couple of recent shows where Yo La Tengo opened for Japanese Breakfast... it's just strange seeing bands who've been around for ages opening for newer, more popular acts.

FVJGa5KX0AANovW

This isn't me criticizing either boygenius or Japanese Breakfast, as I'm fans of both. It's just weird. It's like if idk... R.E.M opened up for Taylor Swift or BTS.

Saetia / Icepield @ Soda Bar, San Diego 4/29

Went to my first hardcore show this weekend. Had met one of the guitarists a number years ago at my daughters elementary school. We saw him play with another one of his bands a few years ago, but weren't familiar with Saetia at all. They recently regrouped after a long break for a few quick benefit tours. This west coast swing benefitted border angels, supporting immigrants on both sides of the border.

While I wasn't familiar with their songs or history for the most part, I was really impressed with the messaging and sense of community between the bands and the fans and just how much this music meant to both of them. One of the themes that came up was that how the songs circumstances may have changed, but the meanings have stayed the same - given that they were written to give a voice to marginalized communities. So to that end it was great to see a wide spectrum of ages and people at the show.

1682966885632.jpeg

Back