Upcoming/Recent Shows

My wife snapped these one and sent them to me, but my phone stayed in my pocket the whole time - it would have anyway, but I literally could not access it because of the seating situation.

View attachment 168824
View attachment 168825
Glad you enjoyed it! My wife likes to dance and I like to have room. Last time I saw them at the Pabst or Riverside in Milwaukee I bought lower level seats in the back corner. Worked out perfect.

Flaming Lips ~ The Sound Del Mar 3/6

Caught the Lips last night. Not my favorite time seeing them, but that was definitely more due to the venue & crowd than the band. Newer venue that opened a month or so ago, and a very weird setup where you get GA, premium paid raised seating around the main GA, and then more GA with terrible sight lines behind the raised seating. What this meant was that even though we showed up early and got a good spot, everyone with GA tried to crowd the main floor once the show started, so we ended up bailing to the back area about 1/2 through the show when it got too crowded/aggressive with people trying to move their way up.

The Lips themselves were great - always impressed at how good of a job they do in recreating the studio albums live. The usual heavy focus on Soft Bulletin and beyond songs and visual overstimulation.

1678207969896.jpeg

1678208004686.jpeg

Last edited:
King Tuff at Mississippi Studios - Portland 3/6.

I'm not sure there's an artist that puts me in a better mood every time I see them more than King Tuff. Fantastic and fun show again last night. Love when my123DA14D-E4A0-47A7-8D7D-B543498538B4.jpeg gal really enjoys the show too.

Neal Francis with one of the most fun shows I've seen in a LONG time at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland last night. This band is tight and funky. I think my face was contorted in the "holy FUNK" face for most of the set.

I'd seen him open for Marcus King last year but this was night and day better.

PXL_20230311_030308557.jpg

Carlile opened the show with a 3 piece bass/drums/vocals. Ok/mediocre bubblegum pop for the most part but on occasion she'd get broody and industrial and I wish she'd have done that more often because that's when she really impressed. Bass was way too heavy in the mix. Teeth chatteringly so. Dude had Thundercat talent though.

PXL_20230311_013626804.jpg

Very late in uploading concerts experienced up to this point in the year. Won't be too descriptive for a few of these as my memory is fuzzy for a few of these outings.

Went to see R.A.P. Ferreira in Portland in early January, a very good start to the year. Underground jazzy hip-hop made for a solid night.

AJ Suede

Seen his name a few times on the Hip Hop thread here, and he was alright in a live setting. A lot of his songs were very samey though.

20230108_214826.jpg20230108_220450.jpg

R.A.P. Ferreira

Rory's stage presence with his idiosyncratic flow made for a very enjoyable performance, combined with quirky jokes here and there. He performed most of the songs from his newest project 5 to the Eye with Stars and some choice cuts from the excellent Purple Moonlight Pages from a few years back. Set went for about an hour.
Roughly halfway through the set, someone in the front casually tossed a few rolled blunts to the side of the stage while Rory was performing "mythsysizer instinct." Rory acknowledged these about two songs later, picked up the wraps off to the side, and casually smoked a few of 'em while simultaneously performing the remaining songs in the set.
A very good night.

20230108_224959.jpg20230108_224431.jpg20230108_224943.jpg20230108_232045.jpg

Video of the excellent "CYCLES" to close the show:

eXTC ~ The Casbah, San Diego.

eXTC is Terry Chambers (Original drummer for XTC) plus Steve Hampton (guitar / vocals) and Matt Hughes (Bass, vocals) playing songs from the XTC catalog. I went as you don't get a chance to hear these songs live all that often and was expecting a very technical set. Steve Hampton is a great frontman, and elevated the show considerably. You wouldn't think that a majority of the XTC catalog were singalongs, but he got the audience into it and made it a communal experience and celebration. Plus all three of these guys are technically amazing and fun to watch play. They are just starting a US tour, if you have passing interest in XTC well worth checking out.

1678722607804.jpeg

Saturday, holy crap!

Got a soundcheck meet and greet with White Reaper through the radio station. Good guys. Very low on sleep, but were extremely gracious and welcoming. Signed our records and took a group photo with us.

Missed both of the openers while watching Xavier get crushed in the Big East Championship in a nearby bar, but made it over for the main event and once again they did not disappoint. New album is a rocker, and they mixed a healthy dose of each of their other albums. A must see band. My 4th time.

PXL_20230312_030014012.jpg

Also went to see Sam Prekop & John McEntire a couple days later, with Jeremiah Chiu providing an opening set. Was mostly excited to hear Chiu's music in a live setting considering how he and his partner Marta Sofia Honer put out a phenomenal ambient record from last year, Recordings from the Åland Islands. I had been given on offer for a free ticket by the venue for a select list of upcoming shows in their email list with this show being included as an option, as the show was nowhere close to selling out. On top of that, this is only the third show where Holocene (venue) implemented the installation of their new sound system...was very excited to hear the upgrades.
Love the way the seating arrangements were set up, never been a part of something similar before:

20230111_201950.jpg

Jeremiah Chiu

The photos do not lie, this was the closest I've ever been situated next to a live music performer. Could've extended an arms reach out from my seat and touched Jeremiah Chiu's analogue synthesis equipment.
His set was, for the most part, nothing at all like what was performed on Recordings from the Åland Islands. Rather, the music mostly mirrored that of what Sam & John would perform for their set; unexpectedly outsider house/ambient techno. Pretty good overall, I'd say.

20230111_210800.jpg20230111_210750.jpg

Sam Prekop & John McEntire

Sam and John's set went for exactly one continuous hour, with seamless transitions of electronic passages and no stops in between music. Beautiful and spacey segments as well, with a moody blue/green slideshow backdrop against the wall of the DJ floor. Very good, even if some segments ran for a bit longer than I would've liked. More than satisfied for the price of free.

20230111_220157.jpg20230111_220903.jpg

An 11min segment near the end of the set:

Post-show

Took a photo of the equipment used, thought about staying after to hang out and chat with the musicians, but decided against it and headed home.

20230111_230430.jpg

this is cool: Nominate Your Favorite Local Music Venue for Hometowns of Consequence

I nominated the following, which I would recommend highly to all of you:

Haw River Ballroom (Saxapahaw, NC) - this place is a hike, but seriously the best venue I have ever been to. Only Wolf trap and the Kennedy Center even compare, but this is a small venue.

NC Musuem of Art (Raleigh, NC) - a nice intimate amphitheater located in the middle of a sculpture garden.

The Pinhook (Durham, NC)- Kym Register's venue. A great intimate venue. Like 50 people could be there and it would not seem empty.

Cat's Cradle - legendary. there's not much to it, but they pull some big names into a small venue.

We finally made it to our 10th Goose show last night, at The Met in Philly. Had tickets to three previous shows, but life got in the way. Their lighting is gorgeous - the Goeddes do a phenomenal job. Great to see them again, though I have to admit, I'm getting too old for this - second set started at 10:55pm. :sleep:

IMG_3686.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3698.jpg

IMG_3700.jpg

IMG_3701.jpgIMG_8940 copy.jpg

IMG_8943 copy.jpg

Back