Upcoming/Recent Shows

Yeah. Back when there was the acrimony/spilt - I tried to like them.
Just could not get there.

I had way more respect for Chris trying to do the modern Grateful Dead/New Riders of the Purple Sage thing more than Rich trying to keep the Crowes money train flowing.

Chris went public during the Magpie period and pretty much ridiculed Rich in every interview for being in a Black Crowes cover band. Not too long after all that, he trots out As the Crow Flies, his own Black Crowes cover band. And this illustrates those petty, hypocritical Robinson qualities that just make them completely maddening at times.

Chris went public during the Magpie period and pretty much ridiculed Rich in every interview for being in a Black Crowes cover band. Not too long after all that, he trots out As the Crow Flies, his own Black Crowes cover band. And this illustrates those petty, hypocritical Robinson qualities that just make them completely maddening at times.

I was not aware of his own cover band.
Just looked it up.
Even with Audley Freed, I'd bet its was equally disappointing without RR on guitar.

I've never really been interested in the drama, just the music.

I'm also on the "Gorman was a good drummer, but its not like he's John Bonham or Neil Pert or Ringo Starr" side of the fence.
I don't consider him indispensable to what makes for a great BC record.
I always thought his "behind the scenes" stuff was just tacky sour grapes in the same way the infighting was just boring and eyerolling.

But - if the book is as fascinating as you say - Ill have to check it out now.

Posted this in the Dead thread last night, but Grateful Shred last night. They have 3 members from Circles Around The Sun, who I saw last year or the year before.

Great 1st set Viola > Cumberland > Viola.

Sleepy 2nd set tempo-wise. Scarlet > Fire highlight. Cool Terrapin and Stella Blue as well.

PXL_20230301_014738864.jpg

I would never have guessed that Big Thief would headline (and sell out) Radio City Music Hall:

y9S44D0.png

Maggie Rogers ~ The Shell, San Diego 3/2

Won free radio station tix for this. I've seen Maggie once before as part of Ohana festival, she was definitely more self assured this time through. Bigger crowd than I would have thought for her too. Was GA and able to get to the rail off to the side without any issue. She does have a great voice, but I think she relies too much on her 6 piece band and risks getting formulaic. Best parts were when she was acoustic or dueting with the opening act. Felt more intimate and connected in those moments. That being said, can't complain, was a free show at a great venue, and a fun date night with Mrs. ImTheOcean.

1677881054017.jpeg

1677881085895.jpeg

Maggie Rogers ~ The Shell, San Diego 3/2

Won free radio station tix for this. I've seen Maggie once before as part of Ohana festival, she was definitely more self assured this time through. Bigger crowd than I would have thought for her too. Was GA and able to get to the rail off to the side without any issue. She does have a great voice, but I think she relies too much on her 6 piece band and risks getting formulaic. Best parts were when she was acoustic or dueting with the opening act. Felt more intimate and connected in those moments. That being said, can't complain, was a free show at a great venue, and a fun date night with Mrs. ImTheOcean.

View attachment 168633

View attachment 168634
I saw Maggie for the first time at Outside Lands a few years ago, she was literally the first act on at noon on a small stage. She was amazing then, would be curious to see how her show has improved. Crazy that she sold out an 8,500 seat venue here in SF this coming Sunday.

Bryan Adams played a show here in Seoul on Thursday, and he was still in fine form, hitting all the high notes effortlessly.

The last time I saw him was in 2005 at Oldsmobile Park in Lansing, Michigan, when he did a summer tour in minor league ballparks with Def Leppard. He has put out several albums since then that I mostly ignored (according to him, he has 19 total), but the songs he played from the recent albums were actually matching the quality (and catchiness) of his chart hits. I will probably pick up a few to catch up.

20230302_192048.jpg20230302_214930.jpg

20230305_202240.jpg

"Aren't you going to take a photo for your dorks on the forum?" ~my wife

Kathleen Edwards was fucking amazing! Great to see her get a standing ovation.

Also wild to see a 7:30 show actually start at 7:30 - and wasting no time to hit full throttle. Worth the trip and ticket price already. Isbell & The 400 Unit up shortly!

View attachment 168813

Also wild to see a 7:30 show actually start at 7:30 - and wasting no time to hit full throttle. Worth the trip and ticket price already. Isbell & The 400 Unit up shortly!
I dorkily approve of your photo

View attachment 168813

[stamp of forum dork approval]

View attachment 168813

Oh man. I knew Isbell was gonna be good. But that was above and beyond awesome! First time the 400 Unit has been in Vancouver since opening for Justine Townes Earle back in 2011and they were definitely eager to share a set that spanned Jason's whole career - they even played "Decoration Day" which was a very welcome surprise!

The band is an absolute joy to watch. They've always been great to listen to but the clear joy and respect they have playing with one another is palpable and super awesome to witness. Also watching Sadler Vaden play is a goddamn treat. Good lord that man can play.

I've played the shit out of the new single over the past week - it was even better live. Very exciting stuff. Jason and Gary played an incredible rendition of "Elephant" that made me so happy (despite the heaviness of the song.) And Jason implied there was something in the pipeline for Southeastern's 10th anniversary.

Best two hours I think I've ever spent in a stress position (the seats at theater were not made for tall fat people and made coach on a discount airline seem luxurious!)

Oh man. I knew Isbell was gonna be good. But that was above and beyond awesome! First time the 400 Unit has been in Vancouver since opening for Justine Townes Earle back in 2011and they were definitely eager to share a set that spanned Jason's whole career - they even played "Decoration Day" which was a very welcome surprise!

The band is an absolute joy to watch. They've always been great to listen to but the clear joy and respect they have playing with one another is palpable and super awesome to witness. Also watching Sadler Vaden play is a goddamn treat. Good lord that man can play.

I've played the shit out of the new single over the past week - it was even better live. Very exciting stuff. Jason and Gary played an incredible rendition of "Elephant" that made me so happy (despite the heaviness of the song.) And Jason implied there was something in the pipeline for Southeastern's 10th anniversary.

Best two hours I think I've ever spent in a stress position (the seats at theater were not made for tall fat people and made coach on a discount airline seem luxurious!)
I’ve seen him at least half a dozen times now and they’ve all been great shows. Glad you enjoyed!

Tonight I’m off to see White Reaper because I’m very rock show deficient after a long winter.

View attachment 168813

This dork would like to see more photos if you got them!

Back