Upcoming/Recent Shows

Apart from Feist last fall (which was incredible, one of the best things I've ever seen and I can't wait to hear it again), where no cameras were allowed, I've just been going to shows again now since mid-March. These are the first ones.

First, Mdou Moctar opening for Parquet Courts on St. Patrick's Day, which was unseasonably warm and felt a little optimistic this year. Sound wasn't great but Mdou fucking ruled as expected. PC was good but the set didn't have as much energy as I was hoping. Maybe because the first and only other time I saw them was the Wide Awake tour.

PXL_20220318_003320028.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20220318_022004237.NIGHT.jpg

King Buffalo opening for Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats on April 1. Been loving the former since early days of the pandemic, thanks to a couple people on this forum a few years ago, and had been digging the latter a lot recently. They were great. I grabbed a record and a couple CDs and I talked a bit to the drummer afterward. Uncle Acid had some of the coolest visuals I've ever seen. Recognized some El Topo, a kinda fucked up movie I finally saw this past winter. Amazing stoner show.

PXL_20220402_004131861.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20220402_020353221.NIGHT~4.jpg

The next night I went to some tribute thing to Paul Simon's Graceland, which is not something I would normally go to (love the album) but it was cheap, I was starved for live music and I wanted to see the renovated Massey Hall. No photo from the actual show but it was cool to be in the building again. Going there again in a couple days for a Beatles tribute thing, lol. That Guild 😍

PXL_20220402_233052992.jpgPXL_20220402_234625647.jpg

A couple days after that was Low, which I only found out about the day of and I went to solo. Very loud, expected it to be louder. Played the full new album, which I really like. Got it on CD that night, along with their Christmas album, which is one of my faves as someone with religious hangups about the season but love it. Have finally been getting more into this band a little more heavily. Someone in their touring party tested positive shortly after this show. Wear your masks at shows, folks!

PXL_20220405_021254315.NIGHT~4.jpg

Last Friday was Mastodon, definitely my favourite metal band of all time, and Opeth, the first metal band I ever got into when I was like 13 and had never seen before. I hadn't seen Mastodon in over a decade. They were awesome, fantastic sound and varied set list and visuals, and Troy especially sounded great. So happy I got to see them. And then Opeth was a dream come true! They played "Ghost of Perdition" and "The Drapery Falls", two of my favourites, and another nice and varied set list and cool visuals. Loved them, and since then, my Mastodon buddy I went with has been getting into them too, so that's a win.

PXL_20220423_005444037.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20220423_003236560.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20220423_001553619.NIGHT~2.jpg
PXL_20220423_020449227.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20220423_024535890.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20220423_024309962.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20220423_030418376.NIGHT.jpg

It was a long thirteen hour day but entirely worth the drive to see NIN's first show since December of 2018. The performance was tight, full of energy, and the sound was phenomenal. It felt like they had been on the road for months already, not dipping their toes into the concert pool for the first time in years.

Red Hat Amphitheater seats about 5,000 and is in downtown Raleigh. It's across the street from the convention center and a few blocks from the state capitol. Really cool venue. The weather last night was perfect with no humidity and temps in the 60s.

Boy Harsher was the opening act and i thought they put on a great set. A synth, beat driven, darkwave sound punctuated by the voice of Jae Matthews. Danceable head bobbing goodness.

Not knowing what to expect, NIN's setlist blew me away. Some of the highlights (and first time hearing live for me) was The Perfect Drug, And All That Could Have Been, Every Day is Exactly the Same, and covers of David Bowie's I'm Afraid of Americans and Fashion. It's also been nearly 22 years to the month since first hearing The Day the World Went Away, the first time being in New Orleans way back in 2000.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here are a few pictures:

PXL_20220428_183928582.jpg

PXL_20220428_192105858.jpg

PXL_20220428_193959650.jpg

PXL_20220428_203935616.jpg

PXL_20220428_205158573.jpg

PXL_20220428_211447468.jpg

PXL_20220428_215726330.jpg

Got a soul cleanse this afternoon with some solo Lee Bains III. I always feel better about life and hope and the future after one of his shows.

Link to a couple songs from my recording below. Quick mix of board feed and onstage mics while I down a few IPA. The 'whump' is Lee's left foot keeping time on his stomp board - this kind of detail is why weirdo tapers like myself love onstage mics. The hiss in the right channel is a big ass fan they had blowing across the stage - it was hot in there.

My mic stand is covering up the left side, but players at The Milestone stare at a step emblazoned with a 'NO COVERS' mantra. Historic venue historically promoting original music.

Enjoy, pass it on and go see Lee Bains III & The Glory Fires live and buy their wares.

@Lee Newman @Hemotep @Endtro @Mack37 @avecigrec

20220430_214415.jpg

Last edited:
Last Friday was Mastodon, definitely my favourite metal band of all time, and Opeth, the first metal band I ever got into when I was like 13 and had never seen before. I hadn't seen Mastodon in over a decade. They were awesome, fantastic sound and varied set list and visuals, and Troy especially sounded great. So happy I got to see them. And then Opeth was a dream come true! They played "Ghost of Perdition" and "The Drapery Falls", two of my favourites, and another nice and varied set list and cool visuals. Loved them, and since then, my Mastodon buddy I went with has been getting into them too, so that's a win.

View attachment 137387
View attachment 137388
View attachment 137390
View attachment 137391View attachment 137389View attachment 137385View attachment 137386
If I wasn't still recovering from surgery, we would have gone to the Philly show. Have never seen either. :( Up next is Spoon on Wed, I'm still a bit wary, hoping to get on the rail, but definitely do not want to be crushed or bumped in to.

With the recent release of the Neal Casal tribute Highway Butterfly, I've been digging back into my live show relationship with him and experiencing the simultaneous beauty of his craft and the gutting pain of his loss.

Here's my watershed moment. Taped this show 9 years ago. For an amateur hack, it sounds pretty spectacular. If you don't want to listen to the whole song, pick up at 3:50. In the successive 4 minutes, you can hear Neal attempt to reason with, wrestle with and exorcise all the demons. Sadly, a few years later, the demons won.

This show wasn't recent. And, sadly, it can't be in the future because Neal's gone. But it was an immaculately beautiful moment in space and time and everyone should have a chance to dig it.

Live music is better...

The $25 Livenation all-in sale is live. Really strong batch of live shows this year. Ended up with James Taylor, Jason Isbell, Norah Jones/Regina Spektor, Tenacious D, Wild Hearts (Sharon Van Etten/Angel Olsen/Julien Baker), and Outlaw Fest (Willie Nelson/Avett Brothers/Billy Strings/Larkin Poe/Brittany Howard) for $25 per which is nuts. I'm sure gas/parking/etc. will add up but given the spike in ticket costs in general and fee levels, most of my summer shows for bigger artists come from this sale.

Last edited:
Pearl Jam tour opener at Viejas Arena in San Diego, lucky enough to have GA tix for this one. Heavy on songs from Gigaton - thought they sounded good. High point for me was Long Road, dedicated to Eddie's brother who had passed away. Last time they were in town his brother was doing lighting for the show, and there was a memorial plaque in the rafters that had been put up for him that Eddie pointed out. Overall a celebratory show given they - and we - have been waiting over 2 years for the postponed tour.

1651680596910.png
1651680614499.png
1651680636318.png

Also, my pics blow so I haven't written anything up, but here's a decent little catch up log on this year's shows to this point.

March 24th - Bleachers (Strange Desire)

This was our first concert of the year and our first concert at Boston's newest venue (Roadrunner). Great venue in the ilk of some of the better mid-sized theaters in the country - designed with acoustics and sightlines in mind, I couldn't find a place inside the "bowl" where you couldn't see and hear well which for a 3,500 person GA room is really impressive. Sadly, as it's a new venue, it has some hitches. The line to get in took about 45 minutes which caused us to miss the opener - some issues checking vaccine cards. However, the main act made up for it.

There was a ton to like about this show. It was the first time ever or in many, many years they had played some of the Strange Desire deep cuts (it was a full album show). I had heard some mixed things about Bleachers coming off of COVID live but they had their fun, live edge back for this show. Jack was all over the stage, the crowd had a huge, loving, friendly energy I hadn't felt since before COVID (even in the Phoebe crowd), it was a really great feeling. There's little else like that big power energy song in a crowd full of happy people that's not like much else. Pretty strong recommend as a live show if you like their music.

Highlight: I Wanna Get Better the breakout song of Strange Desire, is absolutely infectious and a huge builder live. Not a killer vocal but man was it fun.

April 2nd - Girl Talk

This one I was on the fence about. First, there was a Penny and Sparrow performance closer to home (a very strong recommend as a live act). Second, it was at the Royale which is functionally a nightclub and the "safe alcoves" for watching a show in the COVID area are very limited. Third...I got the last ticket before sellout. Fortune favored it though as Stubhub prices were obscenely low so I could grab a second for my girlfriend. We were able to get a fairly isolated area on the balcony as the floor was way beyond our comfort level in terms of being packed in.

It's kinda funny because it felt like I was teleported back to the late 2000s. This isn't that common with artists who were of an era to me - like James Taylor doesn't bring me back to the 70s for instance, but his mixes immediately hit that nostalgia string in my tiny little monkey brain. A lot of it were riffs or directly off of his albums, but he added in enough new mashup choices (the lead in to Just Like Heaven and then Move Your Feet later on) to get the crowd back in his hand. I do wonder if he'll do this much longer - he's definitely aiming for something different but the live show was a love letter to his late-2000s fans. Hard to choose a highlight from a DJ Set to be fair.

April 12th - Lorde and Remi Wolf

Interesting show all things considered. In many ways the Lorde fanbase has been Carly Rae'd - it's a bit smaller than it was but the remainder has such a massive passion for her as an artist that it felt pretty high energy. We were in what were probably the highest seats in the house - holding up the roof. Remi Wolf was a huge surprise. I had been an early fan of her work and thought her whole vibe was really cool, but I did not realize the pipes that she has. She covered Crazy (by Gnarls Barkley) which took a somewhat distracted crowd into rapt attention. Linked is a clip from her Toronto opening set if you're so inclined, but she slows it down and injects some pipes into it. Worth a flier if she's coming to town for her own show - the rest of the setlist was her newer stuff which wasn't hugely shocking but I thought more fun live than recorded.

The Lorde portion of the set was a bit odd given the overall reception to Solar Power. It was the Solar Power tour in name, most of the songs were Solar Power songs, and I thought the crowd was receptive to them...but the Melodrama songs slap so freaking hard. The biggest responses were probably for some of those tracks: Green Light, Supercut, and The Louvre in particular. I came in a pretty big Solar Power proponent and left the same way, but man, I don't think a lot of those tracks are gonna be on future Lorde playlists. The staging was very creative and aesthetically pleasing, and I am happy to report Lorde has gotten dramatically more comfortable on stage as well. She definitely commanded attention and I thought it was a rather strong show overall. The person next to us almost got his phone thrown over the balcony by my girlfriend but beyond that....pretty swell.

Highlight: Outside of the Remi Wolf cut above, been waiting to hear The Louvre live for years. Lucky, the full show is on Youtube. Sadly, the filmer was next to someone with a...passionate but not good voice (like me).

April 30th - Puss N Boots (Norah Jones, Cat Popper, Sasha Dobson)

It's the kind of crowd that makes you want to quit going to concerts. Just full of entitled, self-absorbed jackasses. The first time I saw them I saw a fist fight and my friend who went with me was this close to causing a second one. It was impossible to escape - maybe their fans are just this way. Five minutes a fan asks Norah to play at his wedding the next day and it's all downhill from there. To add, the venue is new and not really conducive to good live shows in my view. The odd shape caused some band members to be blocked by other ones from all but straight on angles. The merch table, back bar, and standing bar area really cut off some of the better potential spots to watch the show from the edges. It was also oddly hot for a 50 degree spring day. With that said, Puss N Boots made the most of it. I found one clip online - filmed sideways of a song they've placed on both a regular and Christmas EP - gives you a taste of their sound.

This is probably as loose as Norah Jones will get live - I think Cat and Sasha bring out some of her edgier comments and wry sense of humor. They all switch off drums, guitar, and I think bass as well at points with vocal duties. It's a very even show - you get the occasional Cat or Sasha solo song but the vast majority are cover songs or their own band's work. Just professional, good listening music at a very reasonable price. Tickets were under $30 and the merch was all in the sane territory as well. They had signed records for $25 and $40 (unsigned $15 and $25 I believe), good t-shirt. I think they were just fitting in some shows for fun ultimately before Norah goes on tour.

Highlight: No video of it, but they get really interesting with their covers. The Like a Virgin cover was the first time they had ever done it and it slayed. Most of their songs were off Sister which wasn't my favorite of their works, but other tracks made up for it. Norah Jones dropping a "now I'm the drummer bitches" was also up there.

May 1st - Weird Al Yankovic

Going to a show as a big, tall person is usually seen as a privilege - never really have issues seeing the stage, can be pretty much everywhere and very hard to move off a spot. Let me tell ya...not all it's cracked up to be. It's a real crap feeling sitting in a chair, being smushed up against someone you've never met, and then have the people behind you vocally complain that they can't see. Like...flat seats on the floor, can't do much about it. I shortly just moved myself out of the area to a GA Standing section and got a table to hang out at. That probably soured the mood for the opening comedian Emo Phillips. I hated that set. Humor is subjective so I'll not waste time on it but...man.

Anyway, Weird Al. I hadn't seen a Weird Al show before. My mother really dislikes Weird Al and I had never really listened to him until recently. Minus the people who didn't like me as a body, the rest of the crowd was great. I haven't seen that few phones in a place where it wasn't asked in many many years which really helped the atmosphere he was trying to set. His setlist was all deeper cuts except for the encore but I thought he did a really good job of picking a good variety and it had the upside of having some of our group's favorites in there (Skipper Dan, The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, The Night Santa Went Crazy). I guess I never realized how...good he is. That's a dumb thing to say for someone with his career but the parody songs really mask that he knows exactly what he can do and really maximizes that potential. It also helps he has been touring with the same crew for decades. I have been told his normal show is very different and this was subdued Al, but it was still a blast and a half.

Highlight: The encore medley was truly impressive - the one set with his parodies but the way he linked them up with the chant brought the crowd to life. Also, a second Christmas song in two Spring concerts. How odd.

If I can snag pics from my girlfriend's phone I'll add 'em. We're on a concert hiatus for a little bit til the summer ramps up.

Also, my pics blow so I haven't written anything up, but here's a decent little catch up log on this year's shows to this point.

March 24th - Bleachers (Strange Desire)

This was our first concert of the year and our first concert at Boston's newest venue (Roadrunner). Great venue in the ilk of some of the better mid-sized theaters in the country - designed with acoustics and sightlines in mind, I couldn't find a place inside the "bowl" where you couldn't see and hear well which for a 3,500 person GA room is really impressive. Sadly, as it's a new venue, it has some hitches. The line to get in took about 45 minutes which caused us to miss the opener - some issues checking vaccine cards. However, the main act made up for it.

There was a ton to like about this show. It was the first time ever or in many, many years they had played some of the Strange Desire deep cuts (it was a full album show). I had heard some mixed things about Bleachers coming off of COVID live but they had their fun, live edge back for this show. Jack was all over the stage, the crowd had a huge, loving, friendly energy I hadn't felt since before COVID (even in the Phoebe crowd), it was a really great feeling. There's little else like that big power energy song in a crowd full of happy people that's not like much else. Pretty strong recommend as a live show if you like their music.

Highlight: I Wanna Get Better the breakout song of Strange Desire, is absolutely infectious and a huge builder live. Not a killer vocal but man was it fun.

April 2nd - Girl Talk

This one I was on the fence about. First, there was a Penny and Sparrow performance closer to home (a very strong recommend as a live act). Second, it was at the Royale which is functionally a nightclub and the "safe alcoves" for watching a show in the COVID area are very limited. Third...I got the last ticket before sellout. Fortune favored it though as Stubhub prices were obscenely low so I could grab a second for my girlfriend. We were able to get a fairly isolated area on the balcony as the floor was way beyond our comfort level in terms of being packed in.

It's kinda funny because it felt like I was teleported back to the late 2000s. This isn't that common with artists who were of an era to me - like James Taylor doesn't bring me back to the 70s for instance, but his mixes immediately hit that nostalgia string in my tiny little monkey brain. A lot of it were riffs or directly off of his albums, but he added in enough new mashup choices (the lead in to Just Like Heaven and then Move Your Feet later on) to get the crowd back in his hand. I do wonder if he'll do this much longer - he's definitely aiming for something different but the live show was a love letter to his late-2000s fans. Hard to choose a highlight from a DJ Set to be fair.

April 12th - Lorde and Remi Wolf

Interesting show all things considered. In many ways the Lorde fanbase has been Carly Rae'd - it's a bit smaller than it was but the remainder has such a massive passion for her as an artist that it felt pretty high energy. We were in what were probably the highest seats in the house - holding up the roof. Remi Wolf was a huge surprise. I had been an early fan of her work and thought her whole vibe was really cool, but I did not realize the pipes that she has. She covered Crazy (by Gnarls Barkley) which took a somewhat distracted crowd into rapt attention. Linked is a clip from her Toronto opening set if you're so inclined, but she slows it down and injects some pipes into it. Worth a flier if she's coming to town for her own show - the rest of the setlist was her newer stuff which wasn't hugely shocking but I thought more fun live than recorded.

The Lorde portion of the set was a bit odd given the overall reception to Solar Power. It was the Solar Power tour in name, most of the songs were Solar Power songs, and I thought the crowd was receptive to them...but the Melodrama songs slap so freaking hard. The biggest responses were probably for some of those tracks: Green Light, Supercut, and The Louvre in particular. I came in a pretty big Solar Power proponent and left the same way, but man, I don't think a lot of those tracks are gonna be on future Lorde playlists. The staging was very creative and aesthetically pleasing, and I am happy to report Lorde has gotten dramatically more comfortable on stage as well. She definitely commanded attention and I thought it was a rather strong show overall. The person next to us almost got his phone thrown over the balcony by my girlfriend but beyond that....pretty swell.

Highlight: Outside of the Remi Wolf cut above, been waiting to hear The Louvre live for years. Lucky, the full show is on Youtube. Sadly, the filmer was next to someone with a...passionate but not good voice (like me).

April 30th - Puss N Boots (Norah Jones, Cat Popper, Sasha Dobson)

It's the kind of crowd that makes you want to quit going to concerts. Just full of entitled, self-absorbed jackasses. The first time I saw them I saw a fist fight and my friend who went with me was this close to causing a second one. It was impossible to escape - maybe their fans are just this way. Five minutes a fan asks Norah to play at his wedding the next day and it's all downhill from there. To add, the venue is new and not really conducive to good live shows in my view. The odd shape caused some band members to be blocked by other ones from all but straight on angles. The merch table, back bar, and standing bar area really cut off some of the better potential spots to watch the show from the edges. It was also oddly hot for a 50 degree spring day. With that said, Puss N Boots made the most of it. I found one clip online - filmed sideways of a song they've placed on both a regular and Christmas EP - gives you a taste of their sound.

This is probably as loose as Norah Jones will get live - I think Cat and Sasha bring out some of her edgier comments and wry sense of humor. They all switch off drums, guitar, and I think bass as well at points with vocal duties. It's a very even show - you get the occasional Cat or Sasha solo song but the vast majority are cover songs or their own band's work. Just professional, good listening music at a very reasonable price. Tickets were under $30 and the merch was all in the sane territory as well. They had signed records for $25 and $40 (unsigned $15 and $25 I believe), good t-shirt. I think they were just fitting in some shows for fun ultimately before Norah goes on tour.

Highlight: No video of it, but they get really interesting with their covers. The Like a Virgin cover was the first time they had ever done it and it slayed. Most of their songs were off Sister which wasn't my favorite of their works, but other tracks made up for it. Norah Jones dropping a "now I'm the drummer bitches" was also up there.

May 1st - Weird Al Yankovic

Going to a show as a big, tall person is usually seen as a privilege - never really have issues seeing the stage, can be pretty much everywhere and very hard to move off a spot. Let me tell ya...not all it's cracked up to be. It's a real crap feeling sitting in a chair, being smushed up against someone you've never met, and then have the people behind you vocally complain that they can't see. Like...flat seats on the floor, can't do much about it. I shortly just moved myself out of the area to a GA Standing section and got a table to hang out at. That probably soured the mood for the opening comedian Emo Phillips. I hated that set. Humor is subjective so I'll not waste time on it but...man.

Anyway, Weird Al. I hadn't seen a Weird Al show before. My mother really dislikes Weird Al and I had never really listened to him until recently. Minus the people who didn't like me as a body, the rest of the crowd was great. I haven't seen that few phones in a place where it wasn't asked in many many years which really helped the atmosphere he was trying to set. His setlist was all deeper cuts except for the encore but I thought he did a really good job of picking a good variety and it had the upside of having some of our group's favorites in there (Skipper Dan, The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota, The Night Santa
Bleachers is on the $25 ticket list for me down her in NOLA. We were toying with going, and now I'm seriously considering it. Thanks for the write up.

I saw Weird Al in 2019 on his Strings Attached tour where he went to each city and hired their philharmonic orchestra for the night to accompany him. It was a great concert. Definitely up there in rank. He's extremely talented, and his concerts are full fledged shows.

Spoon in Philly last night! Show was postponed from April 15 due to a band / crew member testing positive for covid. I was so happy to see them again - always an amazing show. Support act was Margaret Glaspy - she was great! Picked up her latest LP at the show.

IMG_8751.jpg
IMG_8767.jpg
IMG_8768.jpgIMG_8770.jpg
IMG_8789.jpg
IMG_8766.jpg

Pearl Jam tour opener at Viejas Arena in San Diego, lucky enough to have GA tix for this one. Heavy on songs from Gigaton - thought they sounded good. High point for me was Long Road, dedicated to Eddie's brother who had passed away. Last time they were in town his brother was doing lighting for the show, and there was a memorial plaque in the rafters that had been put up for him that Eddie pointed out. Overall a celebratory show given they - and we - have been waiting over 2 years for the postponed tour.

View attachment 137870
View attachment 137871
View attachment 137872
Some friends are traveling out west for PJ shows, I'm starting to feel FOMO, but looking forward to our shows in Sept.

Some friends are traveling out west for PJ shows, I'm starting to feel FOMO, but looking forward to our shows in Sept.
They usually don't start the tours on the west coast. One of the things I've noticed from being on the 2nd half of the tours is that they get the "lets play as much of the new stuff as possible" out of their system on the first legs, and then start pulling out a more varied set later on, so I'd imagine by that point you'll get a wider balance of albums. I'm sure I'll have some FOMO for your shows as well!

They usually don't start the tours on the west coast. One of the things I've noticed from being on the 2nd half of the tours is that they get the "lets play as much of the new stuff as possible" out of their system on the first legs, and then start pulling out a more varied set later on, so I'd imagine by that point you'll get a wider balance of albums. I'm sure I'll have some FOMO for your shows as well!
We like to travel to the first show of the PJ tour whenever possible (which is why we are still holding Toronto tix - thanks, Covid :( )
But, just could not pull off the new west coast dates this time. Toronto isn't even the first Canadian show now! But, we've decided to add Hamilton and are waiting for tix prices to drop for Elton John in Toronto the night between our two PJ shows. Then it's MSG and Camden PJ. My September is truly insane - I believe we have 12 shows scheduled at the moment ( The National, Father John and Sea Hear Now Fest). I'm exhausted from last night, and we didn't even really queue for Spoon! I'm getting too old for this crap... but, I will go to live shows as long as I can.

Back