Upcoming/Recent Shows

Cross-post from the Wilco Thread:
Wilco - United Palace Theater - 4.19.22

Unlike any Wilco show I've ever seen.
It was like they were re-recording YHF only live.
It was a note for note/sound for sound recreation of the album but live.

Also - the addition of the string section and horns was a revelation.
It allowed them to flesh out some deep deep cuts.

Also Reservations was perfect.
The entire theater was dead silent until the last note totally faded out.
Fucking epic.

Then the encore leading off with Be Not So Fearful (one of my all times and I had never seen it live).
Followed by Pieholden Suite and Magazine Called Sunset (of which the horns and strings really made this one sing).

Then they blew the doors off the place with the double barrel of I Got You and and Outtasite.

Its in the list of my top five shows for sure.
This calls for a special PIF. (Check the thread)

View attachment 136283

I had been seeing "The War on Drugs" yesterday night in the Palladium venue in Cologne. It has a capacity of around 4000 people and wasn't completely sold out, but I think very close to that. A friend of mine had a spare ticket, and this was my first concert since Covid started over here (my last one was Morrissey on March 10th 2020 at the exact same venue, the next day literally all concerts in Germany got canceled for a long time).

It was so great to finally go to a live show again. The crowd was very pleasant and relaxed. Support band had been Lo Moon, which was solid.

"The War on Drugs" had an excellent sound, the instruments came out really well. They played about 17 songs, most from their current album. My favorites had been "Red Eyes", "I don't wanna wait", "I don't live here anymore" and "Occasional rain". All songs very enjoyable. I wasn't too close to the stage, so the few pictures I've taken with my phone aren't too sharp, but they give some basic idea of the band on the stage.

IMG_20220420_220909.jpg

IMG_20220421_095717.jpg

IMG_20220420_212755.jpg

IMG_20220420_224637.jpg

IMG_20220421_095602.jpg

IMG_20220420_224512.jpg

Rina Sawayama was AMAZING in Portland last night OMG!

HANA

Opener whose name I'd heard from a few guest appearances, particularly on Grimes's "We Appreciate Power." Her set ran half an hour.

I didn't recognize any of her solo songs to be honest, but her music is quite energetic. She even played guitar for a pair of tracks near the beginning of her set. She finished off her set with a 10+ minute DJ mix that had a fun house track transitioning into the aforementioned "We Appreciate Power."

I'll be adding her full-lengths from her discography to my backlog.

20220420_200219.jpg20220420_202800.jpg

Interlude music between opener and headliner was top-tier (SOPHIE, Kylie Minogue, Charli XCX, Robyn, and Britney Spears from what I remember). With the music blasted much louder than normal during this period, I'd approximate at least a third of the crowd was singing/shouting along during the songs here.

Rina Sawayama

So good. I have been sorta on the fence with Rina's music (her debut SAWAYAMA from '20 in particular), but her live performance was a blast! Full of fervor and the crowd was full of LGBTQIA+ love.

Rina led in with a dramatic entrance accompanied with backup dancers and her backing musicians. After performing three songs, she underwent a costume change which she would keep for the remainder of the concert. Lots of call-and-response with the crowd along with a couple of icebreakers to get us loose, with self-love messages from Rina in between songs. At least three times, she had the crowd (and those in the upper balcony) jumping in unison with some of the more energetic cuts, which was pretty cool. She even performed a city-pop track near the end, along with having the crowd wave cell phone flashlights in the air during "Chosen Family." Lots and lots of crowd interaction, as you can tell!

Just before the final song of her standard set, the applause was deafening (seriously) with Rina commenting about how even though Portland wasn't the largest venue she's played on the tour, we were "without doubt" the loudest. 🔥

Set ran about ~75min including encore of "XS." Safe to say I'm a fan of her live performance.

20220420_210912.jpg20220420_212746.jpg20220420_220733.jpg20220420_221239.jpg

Footage of "Comme des Garçons":

Rina Sawayama was AMAZING in Portland last night OMG!

HANA

Opener whose name I'd heard from a few guest appearances, particularly on Grimes's "We Appreciate Power." Her set ran half an hour.

I didn't recognize any of her solo songs to be honest, but her music is quite energetic. She even played guitar for a pair of tracks near the beginning of her set. She finished off her set with a 10+ minute DJ mix that had a fun house track transitioning into the aforementioned "We Appreciate Power."

I'll be adding her full-lengths from her discography to my backlog.

View attachment 136416View attachment 136417

Interlude music between opener and headliner was top-tier (SOPHIE, Kylie Minogue, Charli XCX, Robyn, and Britney Spears from what I remember). With the music blasted much louder than normal during this period, I'd approximate at least a third of the crowd was singing/shouting along during the songs here.

Rina Sawayama

So good. I have been sorta on the fence with Rina's music (her debut SAWAYAMA from '20 in particular), but her live performance was a blast! Full of fervor and the crowd was full of LGBTQIA+ love.

Rina led in with a dramatic entrance accompanied with backup dancers and her backing musicians. After performing three songs, she underwent a costume change which she would keep for the remainder of the concert. Lots of call-and-response with the crowd along with a couple of icebreakers to get us loose, with self-love messages from Rina in between songs. At least three times, she had the crowd (and those in the upper balcony) jumping in unison with some of the more energetic cuts, which was pretty cool. She even performed a city-pop track near the end, along with having the crowd wave cell phone flashlights in the air during "Chosen Family." Lots and lots of crowd interaction, as you can tell!

Just before the final song of her standard set, the applause was deafening (seriously) with Rina commenting about how even though Portland wasn't the largest venue she's played on the tour, we were "without doubt" the loudest. 🔥

Set ran about ~75min including encore of "XS." Safe to say I'm a fan of her live performance.

View attachment 136418View attachment 136419View attachment 136421View attachment 136420

Footage of "Comme des Garçons":

I've watched Rina's Coachella performance online on the last weekend and liked it very much. Though it was shorter than a full live show, you really could feel the energy. Glad you've enjoyed it that much, sounds really good. I hope I can catch her live in Germany within the next years.

Caught Sons of Kemet on the last show of their US tour, with Melanie Charles opening at the Belly Up in Solana Beach, Ca.

Melanie was excellent - took the stage w/ no mic and immediately caught the attention of the room. Set consisted of some sampled/reworked jazz standards and originals, accompanied by a drummer. Wasn't familiar with her at all - but really enjoyed her set, and picked up her album (which she was kind enough to autograph).

Sons of Kemet were absolutely amazing. A straight-up ebb and flow of grooves with top-tier talent from everyone. Loved seeing a Tuba as a lead instrument.

View attachment 136062
View attachment 136063
View attachment 136065

That Melanie Charles album is a gem! What a show!!
Yes!! Hers is one of the best from last year.

Eeeee!!! That's awesome.
After hearing that Lady Midnight - Death Before Mourning that you were spinning on a challenge thread, I had to get that one. It's such a good album.

That must've been somebody else, because I don't know it and am now going to check it out tonight! ;)

I've last night seen IDLES play in Cologne. It was excellent. The sold out show, which had been postponed twice due to Covid (I had been lucky to receive a ticket last week, when suddenly a few more tickets had been released) was at a relatively new venue called "Carlswerk Victoria" in Cologne. It holds about 1600 people. I've been there before once in early 2020 to see "Two Doors Cinema Club" with support band "Circa Waves", which had been pretty good, also soundwise. Sound was very good again this time, and I will see more artists at that venue the next months.

I've arrived early in the late afternoon and to my surprise there wasn't a long queue at all, just a few people. So I ended up standing nearly mid front row, which was amazing.

Whispering Sons

Support did come from Whispering Sons, a Belgian Post Punk band with a female singer. I didn't know them before, but really enjoyed their performance. The atmosphere was very intense, the singer has a very deep voice and the songs had been very emotional. At times the singing reminded me distantly on artists as Lingua Ignota. The audience did enjoy it too. I need to check out what they sound like on studio recordings. Definitely can recommend seeing them.

IMG_20220428_201213.jpg

IMG_20220428_201216.jpg

IMG_20220428_202652.jpg

IDLES

For me it was the first time to see them perform live in person. As I love watching livestreams of festivals online, I've seen their concerts online a few times since 2017, but of course in person it's even more intense. Given my position nearly mid front of stage it got a bit rough at times as the audience was really rocking (it reminded me of the atmosphere of concerts of Arctic Monkeys or Placebo in their very early days when I was in my 20s), but it was enjoyable throughout and really great. Atmosphere full of love and unity. The band gave all and was really invested to make this a great night. Setlist was excellent with lots of classics from Brutalism and Joy, but also many new songs from CRAWLER. There was a lot of crowdsurfing in the audience and both guitarists got down to the people/into the crowd. Also the band enjoyed the gig as they praised the energy of the crowd several times. So overall a great concert, lasted around 100 minutes. If you like that kind of music, I strongly recommend seeing them live if you can, you won't regret it.

IMG_20220428_212713.jpg

IMG_20220428_212715.jpg

IMG_20220428_215411.jpg

IMG_20220428_215457_1.jpg

IMG_20220428_221859.jpg

IMG_20220429_060229.jpg

IMG_20220429_060411.jpg

I have a dilemma. The venue that I hosts a lot of shows up here has Cloud Nothings and Iceage on consecutive days. Unfortunately it's a Monday and Tuesday. I've seen Cloud Nothings before and I like them by far more than Iceage. But I'm also very interested in Iceage. I figure there's less of a chance of them coming back here again where I'd probably have another opportunity to see Cloud Nothings as they're a US based band. The thing is, I didn't really care for the last Cloud Nothings or Iceage album, and they're likely to play a lot of songs from both. Can anyone attest to either band and which I should decide to see?

I have a dilemma. The venue that I hosts a lot of shows up here has Cloud Nothings and Iceage on consecutive days. Unfortunately it's a Monday and Tuesday. I've seen Cloud Nothings before and I like them by far more than Iceage. But I'm also very interested in Iceage. I figure there's less of a chance of them coming back here again where I'd probably have another opportunity to see Cloud Nothings as they're a US based band. The thing is, I didn't really care for the last Cloud Nothings or Iceage album, and they're likely to play a lot of songs from both. Can anyone attest to either band and which I should decide to see?
I can't really help as I haven't seen either live, but would like to see both of them. I've checked for previous Iceage concerts and they seem to come to the US quite regularly.
By the way, it was similiar for me regarding the last albums of both of them. I need to listen to them again. As you say you like Cloud Nothings in general a lot more I probably would opt for them.

I can't really help as I haven't seen either live, but would like to see both of them. I've checked for previous Iceage concerts and they seem to come to the US quite regularly.
By the way, it was similiar for me regarding the last albums of both of them. I need to listen to them again. As you say you like Cloud Nothings in general a lot more I probably would opt for them.
That's what I'm leaning towards right now but it could change

My adventure in concert ticket purchase, for Crowded House in Oakland in September.

Just to show that presale isn't always the way to go with concert tickets...I tried at 10am Wednesday (American Express presale) then 10am yesterday (venue presale) and still wasn't happy with the tickets offered. I only wanted one ticket but didn't want to spend $300+ for VIP/Platinum tickets, but was willing to spend $150 for a loge seat at the Fox Theater, my favorite view if not in the first couple of rows on the floor. Today I got on right at 10am and was able to score a front row ticket, dead center in the loge!

I'm sure everyone here knows it but just a reminder that sometimes you can wait to the regular old on sale time to still score great seats.

Quasi / Jon Spencer @ the Casbah San Diego 4/28

First time back at one of my favorite venues for a show in a long time, and first time seeing both Quasi and Jon Spencer. Made even better that Quasi served as 1/2 the backing band for Jon Spencers set, so double the fun of watching Janet Weiss play drums. The second percussionist for Jons set played custom instruments made from trashcans and other bits of metal, and used hammers to play them which made for a unique sound.

1651253563387.png

1651253666988.png

Made a Wednesday night road trip from Austin to Houston to see MMJ.

Was very impressed with the White Oak Music Hall...great venue!

View attachment 137243
View attachment 137244View attachment 137245View attachment 137246
Fuck, I'm so jealous! MMJ has probably been my second favourite band over the last decade, but somehow I've never seen them headline. Just saw them open for Wilco (favourite band) and Dylan (favourite all time full stop) in 2013, which of course ruled. But they've been top of my list to see since the pandemic, where I've been devouring live videos. Your photos look amazing.

Back