Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Looking to buy a cheap compact tube amp, just to get my feet wet. I see a couple options on Amazon, but does anyone have recommendations? I’ve got a Fluance RT85 with an ortofon blue cart.
How cheap? Do you have an outboard phono stage?

How cheap? Do you have an outboard phono stage?

Sub $150? I’ve got a Bellari PA550 going into some Klipsch powered bookshelf speakers at the moment. I suspect that the bellari’s internal headphone amp is being used for the bookshelf speakers though, so while it sounds great with headphones on I just don’t think it’s great for the speakers.

Sub $150? I’ve got a Bellari PA550 going into some Klipsch powered bookshelf speakers at the moment. I suspect that the bellari’s internal headphone amp is being used for the bookshelf speakers though, so while it sounds great with headphones on I just don’t think it’s great for the speakers.
The only thing I can think of is the hybrid amp from Parts Express. Honestly I wouldn’t bother. It’s tubes on the input with a solid state output- not a true tube amp.

I wouldn’t bother. Generally speaking, inexpensive tube amps aren’t good and good tube amps aren’t cheap.

The only thing I can think of is the hybrid amp from Parts Express. Honestly I wouldn’t bother. It’s tubes on the input with a solid state output- not a true tube amp.

i wouldn’t bother. Generally speaking, inexpensive tube amps aren’t good and good tube amps aren’t cheap.

If you have very efficient speakers or are doing near-field listening, the TubeCube is actually quite a fun little thing, if a bit janky.

I wouldn’t bother. Generally speaking, inexpensive tube amps aren’t good and good tube amps aren’t cheap.

Awesome, thanks for saving me! I’m trying to move away from having my speakers power themselves and I don’t have a lot of shelf space.

Because nothing can be simple, I'm all hooked up and biased, but the amp is demonstrating a very quiet clicking noise in both channels. Hopefully it's something like the rectifier tube, for which I've got replacements.

Because nothing can be simple, I'm all hooked up and biased, but the amp is demonstrating a very quiet clicking noise in both channels. Hopefully it's something like the rectifier tube, for which I've got replacements.
Power the amp down and remove and reseat all of the tubes. That may resolve your issue.

Power the amp down and remove and reseat all of the tubes. That may resolve your issue.

I tried swapping the rectifier and no dice. I’ll power it down and reseat.

It’s a very quiet, regular clicking noise. Kind of reminds me of when cell phones used to get picked up by radios.

Do you have a wifi router nearby?
Other side of the basement. But none of the other three amplifiers I've used in this room have ever picked anything up from it.

Volume control also doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to re-seat the tubes and check again in a few minutes. I'm hoping it's not something in the amp itself. Would stink to have to pay for a repair right off the bat.

Other side of the basement. But none of the other three amplifiers I've used in this room have ever picked anything up from it.

Volume control also doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm going to re-seat the tubes and check again in a few minutes. I'm hoping it's not something in the amp itself. Would stink to have to pay for a repair right off the bat.
Is this the Decware or one of the others?

Maybe try posting in the Decware forum. They may have some ideas.
Sadly the Torii Jr forum doesn't seem very well trafficked.

Tom at Big Ear received my returned KingKo and determined that my issues were a combination of bad output tubes and a bad rectifier. He replaced them all and has been running the amp problem-free for a few hours.

I have to admit I'm gritting my teeth a little for making a jump like this and assuming it would be problem free.

Tom at Big Ear received my returned KingKo and determined that my issues were a combination of bad output tubes and a bad rectifier. He replaced them all and has been running the amp problem-free for a few hours.

I have to admit I'm gritting my teeth a little for making a jump like this and assuming it would be problem free.
I bet. Two amps with issues, despite the odds. Call Decware?

So, the pattern of the clicking noise changes depending on whether or not there is an active input to the amp. With no input, it goes click-click-clickclick almost like a ticking clock. Once there’s an input, the pattern gets much faster, and stays that way, even if nothing is playing, until the input powers down.

Bad input tubes? I’ve never run into anything quite like this.

It's always disheartening when you have issues with new gear, hopefully things will come around in a timely manner.

So, the pattern of the clicking noise changes depending on whether or not there is an active input to the amp. With no input, it goes click-click-clickclick almost like a ticking clock. Once there’s an input, the pattern gets much faster, and stays that way, even if nothing is playing, until the input powers down.

Bad input tubes? I’ve never run into anything quite like this.

Is it on both channels?

Back