Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

That said, it looks like you can have this recertification process done whenever, so it can probably wait..

I would double-check that; I always got the impression that the original owner needs to send the unit directly to Decware to be checked out, who then sends it to the new owner. I could be wrong.

EDIT: You know, thinking about it and my dealings with Decware, I am probably wrong here. It makes just as much sense that the new owner can ship the unit to Decware to essentially "reset" the warranty. I'm just a "better safe than sorry" sort of guy, I guess.

I would double-check that; I always got the impression that the original owner needs to send the unit directly to Decware to be checked out, who then sends it to the new owner. I could be wrong.

EDIT: You know, thinking about it and my dealings with Decware, I am probably wrong here. It makes just as much sense that the new owner can ship the unit to Decware to essentially "reset" the warranty. I'm just a "better safe than sorry" sort of guy, I guess.
They have processes for both direct sales going through Decware, and for people who picked up used Decware products via other means. Seems to be more or less the same thing either way - ship the amp to them, they examine it, install new tubes, bias, charge a fee, et voila.

This raises a question I didn't know I had.

I am considering buying a Decware SE84UFO amp. Its specs show "Input voltage: 1.5 volts for full output" Is this the "input sensitivity" to which you are referring?

I have a MoFi UltraPhono phono stage, for which I can't locate any output voltage numbers. How do I go about determining whether my phono stage is an appropriate pairing for the low-watt Decware amp?
The third calculator on this page will help. With a 5mV cartridge, you’d get 1.58 volts with 50 dB of gain.

The UltraPhono has 40db, 46db, and 60db settings. 46db should produce a very usable output voltage.
@dansomeone also keep in mind that most listening is done at less than one watt. You’d only need that much gain for insane listening levels. Even 10 watts is loud with most speakers.
Just noticed that @dansomeone is using Zus. Those are plenty efficient.
Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the Grado-MoFi-Decware chain should work just fine. I will try both the 40dB and 46dB settings to see which sounds better.

I'm doing a little casual 12ax7 rolling in the JoLida and I'm surprised to find that, for my system, in my room, the inexpensive JJ 12ax7 Gold Pin actually sounds best. Both the SovTek 12ax7LPS and Gold Lion 12ax7 have a significantly airier soundstage, but produce a somewhat anemic midrange that feels weirdly thin. The JJ is a bit horizonally compressed by comparison, but the midrange has body.

Looking to buy a cheap compact tube amp, just to get my feet wet. I see a couple options on Amazon, but does anyone have recommendations? I’ve got a Fluance RT85 with an ortofon blue cart.

Back