Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

Bias points are beneath the two 6922 input tubes. The little jack on the front is where the adjustment screw is located.

Even now I think the Decware sounds genuinely fantastic, but the KingKo does (if I recall) have a more exaggerated, liquid tubiness that was very enjoyable in my current mid-starved system. That, and a very nice headphone amp. Power is a wash since the Decware needs 1.9V to hit rated wattage, but that doesn’t really matter.

The Decware is transparent, detailed, all the things you want in an audiophile amplifier, but it’s also pricier and has a more expensive tube complement. Of course, I can also get a lifetime warranty on it, and no such promises with the KingKo.

It’s basically a less expensive, giant-killing, “fun” amp with questionable long-term reliability vs a beautifully made, admirably clean, neutral, effortless audiophile amp that it may take me some time to really do justice.

I feel like the KingKo fits the system I have now, while the DecWare makes me feel like I need to upgrade to do it justice.
The Decware sounds more like an end game component that your system grows around over time.

Bias points are beneath the two 6922 input tubes. The little jack on the front is where the adjustment screw is located.

Even now I think the Decware sounds genuinely fantastic, but the KingKo does (if I recall) have a more exaggerated, liquid tubiness that was very enjoyable in my current mid-starved system. That, and a very nice headphone amp. Power is a wash since the Decware needs 1.9V to hit rated wattage, but that doesn’t really matter.

The Decware is transparent, detailed, all the things you want in an audiophile amplifier, but it’s also pricier and has a more expensive tube complement. Of course, I can also get a lifetime warranty on it, and no such promises with the KingKo.

It’s basically a less expensive, giant-killing, “fun” amp with questionable long-term reliability vs a beautifully made, admirably clean, neutral, effortless audiophile amp that it may take me some time to really do justice.

I feel like the KingKo fits the system I have now, while the DecWare makes me feel like I need to upgrade to do it justice.
So you have 2 bias check points and one adjustment? Just remember you will need a matched quad when it comes to me for output tube replacement. No biggie, I’d rather have that than cathode bias, which is what the KingKo uses. EL34s are quite robust, so that shouldn’t be anytime soon.

It sounds like the Decware is a “forever” piece, something you can enjoy now that will keep up as your system changes over time.

So you have 2 bias check points and one adjustment? Just remember you will need a matched quad when it comes to me for output tube replacement. No biggie, I’d rather have that than cathode bias, which is what the KingKo uses. EL34s are quite robust, so that shouldn’t be anytime soon.

It sounds like the Decware is a “forever” piece, something you can enjoy now that will keep up as your system changes over time.
Yep, requires matched quads. Interestingly, the full-fat Torii models have self-bias, so the manual bias appears to be more of a money-saving technique than a purity thing.

I can help you with mids. Decware stuff is very tube-dependent. The good tubes are pricey, but worth it.

Sorry to appear coy. I am running an RFT EL34 quad. They were a huge step up from the stock tubes. I also have some equally expensive boutique Sophia Electronics that are very close but not as rich in the mids. But they are blue, which is cool.

EDIT: I just realized. I could ship you the Sophias if you wanted to check them out. We'd have to insure them, but it might be worth your while. Let me know if you are interested!

Sorry to appear coy. I am running an RFT EL34 quad. They were a huge step up from the stock tubes. I also have some equally expensive boutique Sophia Electronics that are very close but not as rich in the mids. But they are blue, which is cool.

EDIT: I just realized. I could ship you the Sophias if you wanted to check them out. We'd have to insure them, but it might be worth your while. Let me know if you are interested!
I hugely appreciate the offer, but I think its probably not a good idea for me to develop a taste for Nice Tubes at this point in time. 😂

Anyway, I’m not in any sort of hurry, so I will do some rigorous listening on both amps, and doubtless post here prolifically, before I make a decision.

I hugely appreciate the offer, but I think its probably not a good idea for me to develop a taste for Nice Tubes at this point in time. 😂

Anyway, I’m not in any sort of hurry, so I will do some rigorous listening on both amps, and doubtless post here prolifically, before I make a decision.

Without going to the ridiculously expensive when you’re ready to roll I’ve heard that the GL KT77/EL34 is a really great tube with some great mids.

LOL, this was one of the reasons I decided to keep the Insight over the Jolida..........I don't need another tinkering temptation in my "tube" life, the PL is plenty thanks :)

Can your amp run KT88s? I just saw the pricing for top tier Sophia KT88s- it’d cost $1400 to retube my amp. I guess I’ll keep slumming with my Gold Lions. 😎
It can! Just need a matched quad and obviously have to re-bias. Per Decware the KT88 generally produces a slightly darker, more lush sound.

That said, that sort of thing is gonna have to wait until after I make a decision. I already have two full sets of power tubes and three rectifiers. Gonna run out of cabinet space!

It can! Just need a matched quad and obviously have to re-bias. Per Decware the KT88 generally produces a slightly darker, more lush sound.

That said, that sort of thing is gonna have to wait until after I make a decision. I already have two full sets of power tubes and three rectifiers. Gonna run out of cabinet space!

That makes that a much more interesting amp. That said it makes sense now you say it because when I was looking at the mono blocks they also said they can work with KT120 but on the lowest bias setting. I’m guessing yours is the same if you go up from EL34/KT77 to the KT88? I can definitely recommend the GL KT88 from experience, it’s a gorgeous sounding tube!

I get it. I will say this- I’ve not heard any current production EL34 that can hold a candle to a KT88. To me, EL34s are mostly mids with really sloppy bass. KT88s sort that all out and play deeper as well. The high frequencies are also extended.

I keep reminding @AnthonyI that he needs to try KT88s as well. He has no idea what his amp is actually capable of.

I GOT IT WRONG: KT66, not KT88. Too similar, these tube names.

“Alternate quads of output tubes that could be used in this amplifier IF and ONLY IF the amplifier is re-biased for that specific quad are: 6L6’s, 5881’s, KT77’s, 7027’s, KT66’s, EL34’s, 6CA7’s.”

I GOT IT WRONG: KT66, not KT88. Too similar, these tube names.

“Alternate quads of output tubes that could be used in this amplifier IF and ONLY IF the amplifier is re-biased for that specific quad are: 6L6’s, 5881’s, KT77’s, 7027’s, KT66’s, EL34’s, 6CA7’s.”
In that case- I’d go KT77. I’d never go 6L6.

I get it. I will say this- I’ve not heard any current production EL34 that can hold a candle to a KT88. To me, EL34s are mostly mids with really sloppy bass. KT88s sort that all out and play deeper as well. The high frequencies are also extended.

I keep reminding @AnthonyI that he needs to try KT88s as well. He has no idea what his amp is actually capable of.
It's on the list, I'm just pacing myself, lol. Once this phono stage swap is done we'll be looking at tubes some time next year. I just don't want to spend the money on tubes without getting something out of the ones I have first ;)

Then I can be all "ooooooo" and "ahhhhhh" when I swap the tubes, lol

Last edited:
@kvetcha What made you decide to start looking for a replacement for the Jolida?
98dB speakers tempted me toward ever lower-powered amplifiers. I had a Rogue Sphinx v2 before the JoLida.

I actually like the JoLida more than the Rogue, and I liked the Rogue. The move is not at all about the Jo and more about the fact that I’m winnowing down exactly how simple/low powered I can go and still get the performance I want.

Last edited:
Back