Totally Tubular: The Tube Thread

What did you like about those units in particular? Is there are particular Manley sound they share? I have the Chinook obviously, but really curious about your experience.
They were just super tubey sounding. Amazing mids and bass, very sweet highs. Very quiet too. Cosmetics are love/hate but they sounded so good that I don’t really care.

If a scale ran from 0 being the most analytical solid state, and 10 is detailed but smooth as butter, PL would be a 6 (with the right tubes). The Mahi/Shrimp combo would be a 10. The Stingray II would be a 9.

They were just super tubey sounding. Amazing mids and bass, very sweet highs. Very quiet too. Cosmetics are love/hate but they sounded so good that I don’t really care.

If a scale ran from 0 being the most analytical solid state, and 10 is detailed but smooth as butter, PL would be a 6 (with the right tubes). The Mahi/Shrimp combo would be a 10. The Stingray II would be a 9.
Interesting, thanks I definitely want detail. No muddiness or thickness for me. I've been happy with my PL, but it's essentially the entry level for them, so I'm plotting my next long term amp move. I kinda like the Manley's unique looks.

I’ve done some A-B listening (by physically swapping out the amps), and the KingKo sounds almost bafflingly different than the JoLida, with a richer, more forward midrange. The Jo feels very clean, but somewhat less intimate by comparison.

I think once the new tubes arrive I am going to set up an actual A-B test between the amps using my amplifier switch.

I’ve done some A-B listening (by physically swapping out the amps), and the KingKo sounds almost bafflingly different than the JoLida, with a richer, more forward midrange. The Jo feels very clean, but somewhat less intimate by comparison.

I think once the new tubes arrive I am going to set up an actual A-B test between the amps using my amplifier switch.
Remember, your new amp will likely change when it’s broken in.

Welp, I got replacement tubes but the KingKo continues to have problems, even though it sounds incredible when it's working properly. At this rate it may end up that I will have to send it back.

Can you pull the trigger on the Torii and return the Kingko, especially given the issues you are having with it?
I'm working through that now. I feel lousy asking for a return given the difficult time the seller is having, but...my experience with the amplifier thus far has been extremely concerning and I'm far from confident in the KingKo's long-term reliability.

The new tubes sounded incredible for about ten minutes, then the left channel crackled and dropped in volume, and developed a fuzz that persisted regardless of volume level. The fuzz finally popped and disappeared after another ten minutes, but the left channel is now much lower in volume than the right. I'm thinking at this point we're dealing with a hardware issue, because Tom at Big Ear ran the replacement tubes on his own KingKo for several hours before sending them out.

Back