This Time It's Personal: The November 2023 Record Challenge Thread

November 3
“Hey, this is our song! Remember?”
“No.”

What record will forever remind you of that special someone, a relative, or a good friend and why? What does it remind you of doing with them? (ahem, keep it clean)

Well, why not go back to the album that sparked it all for me?
This one is for my uncle, grill master, dry martini slinger and Pink Floyd and Genesis (Peter Gabriel years only, don't get him started on Phil) fan.

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

IMG_5913.jpeg

November 3
“No.”

What record will forever remind you of that special someone, a relative, or a good friend and why? What does it remind you of doing with them? (ahem, keep it clean)

This one is for my Dad. Repeated listenings of Brokedown Palace helped me let go of him when I wasn't ready to. (Along with generous helpings of Tom Petty's Wildflowers).

Grateful Dead ~ American Beauty

IMG_4266.jpeg

Thanks for running November @Wes C. Attle , I'll do my best to make it to the end!

November 1
Guest comes to your home for the first time: “You seem to like music a lot- holy smokes that’s a LOT of vinyls!” (Guest runs their hand -too aggressively, you determine- across the spines of the records)

What was the first album you remember having? Did you get it as a kid or did you more recently get into this silly hobby? Can you still smell the liner notes when you hear these songs?

So many of my first records were hand-me-downs (or stolen) from my sister. This one in particular resonated so much with me, the young drummer in me was dying to come to the surface. My sister gave me her copy, and I was running straight to my friend's house with it because I was so excited. I fell, the record broke and I was in tears. A week later, she came home with a brand new copy for me, and yes, I can still remember certain details vividly - like how the flat paper bag she handed me from Rocky's Records was still cold from the weather.

I give Bun E Carlos credit as being the first drummer I noticed and wanted to emulate, with John Bonham's influence coming into my life soon after.

Anyway, here it is:

Cheap Trick at Budokan

IMG_6014.JPG

November 2
“Yeah the record’s great, but you’ve GOT to see them live!”

What was one of your all-time favorite concerts that you’ve been to, who went with you, and where was it? If you’ve never been to a show, who would you love to see (or love to have seen) live? Digital high-fives will be given if you include photos from the show.

Radiohead - 2004 on the Hail to the Thief tour at Blossom Music Center was a top show for me, no doubt. We had orchestra pit tickets, and by the encores I had worked my way up to just a couple people back from the stage, on Jonny Greenwood's side. I went with my bandmates at the time, one of which just went to Hiss Golden Messenger with me on Tuesday. No photos from the show unfortunately.

IMG_6015.JPG

November 3
“No.”

Taylor Swift - 1989
Song: “Shake It Off”

IMG_6349.jpeg

My daughter was only two when the “Shake It Off” video debuted ahead of this album’s release and while we all enjoyed Red, this new song sounded so fresh and was infectious. She would dance through its entirety, and if we put it on while she was in another room, that first drum loop on the track would bring her running in with her arms extended, looking for a dance partner. It became her song, and even if it played in public in a restaurant or at a theme park, sure enough she’d be dancing.

Of course, she got older and eventually it was no longer cool to dance with your dad. But she did come with me to the Eras Tour movie a couple weeks ago and when “Shake It Off” started, she looked up at me and we both smiled.

IMG_6350.jpeg

Technically, this record is hers. “She” got it for Christmas that year.

Thanks for running November @Wes C. Attle , I'll do my best to make it to the end!

November 1
Guest comes to your home for the first time: “You seem to like music a lot- holy smokes that’s a LOT of vinyls!” (Guest runs their hand -too aggressively, you determine- across the spines of the records)

What was the first album you remember having? Did you get it as a kid or did you more recently get into this silly hobby? Can you still smell the liner notes when you hear these songs?

So many of my first records were hand-me-downs (or stolen) from my sister. This one in particular resonated so much with me, the young drummer in me was dying to come to the surface. My sister gave me her copy, and I was running straight to my friend's house with it because I was so excited. I fell, the record broke and I was in tears. A week later, she came home with a brand new copy for me, and yes, I can still remember certain details vividly - like how the flat paper bag she handed me from Rocky's Records was still cold from the weather.

I give Bun E Carlos credit as being the first drummer I noticed and wanted to emulate, with John Bonham's influence coming into my life soon after.

Anyway, here it is:

Cheap Trick at Budokan

View attachment 186385
I played the hell out of this record when I was a kid. I think I got it as a Christmas gift from my sister when it came out.

November 2

What was one of your all-time favorite concerts that you’ve been to, who went with you, and where was it? If you’ve never been to a show, who would you love to see (or love to have seen) live? Digital high-fives will be given if you include photos from the show.

I have had the fortune to see a lot of shows. Recently I made a list...

Charlie Daniels County Fair
Aerosmith, IA
Kiss, IA
Herbie Hancock, IN
St. VincentBrown Theatre
Black KeysForecastle 2013
Flaming LipsForecastle 2013
Kurt VileForecastle 2013
DawesForecastle 2013
RubblebucketForecastle 2013
OutkastForecastle 2014
Jack WhiteForecastle 2014
BeckForecastle 2014
The ReplacementsForecastle 2014
SpoonForecastle 2014
Twentyone PilotsForecastle 2014
Gary Clark JrForecastle 2014
Tune YardsForecastle 2014
Black LipsForecastle 2014
St. LuciaForecastle 2014
LuciusForecastle 2014
Hurray For The Riff RaffForecastle 2014
WaxahatcheeForecastle 2014
Jalen RozeForecastle 2014
Cage The ElephantForecastle 2015
HoundmouthForecastle 2015
Gaslight AnthemForecastle 2015
Cold War KidsForecastle 2015
KiezaForecastle 2015
People Under The StairsForecastle 2015
Speedy OrtizForecastle 2015
AlvvaysForecastle 2015
My Morning JacketForecastle 2015
The War on DrugsForecastle 2015
Sturgill SimpsonForecastle 2015
BronchoForecastle 2015
Modest MouseForecastle 2015
TweedyForecastle 2015
Portucal The ManForecastle 2015
Tallest Man on EarthForecastle 2015
King TuffForecastle 2015
Diarrhea PlanetForecastle 2015
White ReaperForecastle 2015
Twin LimbForecastle 2015
Matt & KimUofL
MadonnaYum Center
BRENDAIUS
The Kills Headliners
Passion PitMercury Ballroom
Deth Cab for CutieForecastle 2016
GrouploveForecastle 2016
Gary Clark JrForecastle 2016
Big GiganticForecastle 2016
Glass AnimalsForecastle 2016
Sylvan EssoForecastle 2016
Danny BrownForecastle 2016
Washed OutForecastle 2016
Femi Kuti & Positive ForceForecastle 2016
White DenimForecastle 2016
BullyForecastle 2016
Speedy OrtizForecastle 2016
All Them WitchesForecastle 2016
Dr. DogForecastle 2016
Ryan AdamsForecastle 2016
SavagesMercury Ballroom
of MontrealHeadliners
Twin LimbHeadliners
The StrutsHeadliners
Aesop RockMercury Ballroom
Sleigh BellsHeadliners
SlothrustZanzabar
BleachedMercury Ballroom
The DammedMercury Ballroom
BrendaZanzabar
Diarrhea PlanetZanzabar
Franz FerdinandMercury Ballroom
LumineersSoldier Field
U2 (Chicago)Soldier Field
U2 (Louisville)U of L Football Field
LCD SoundsystemForecastle 2017
WeezerForecastle 2017
Cage The ElephantForecastle 2017
PJ HarveyForecastle 2017
Rub The JewelsForecastle 2017
Charles BradleyForecastle 2017
Vince StaplesForecastle 2017
Judah and the LionForecastle 2017
FoxygenForecastle 2017
CoinForecastle 2017
Lucy DacusForecastle 2017
Big ThiefForecastle 2017
Jack HarlowForecastle 2017
PellForecastle 2017
DJ ShadowMercury Ballroom
Sylvan Esso
Modest MousePalace
The StrutsHeadliners
St. VincentPalace
BullyZanzabar
Tank and the BangasHeadliners
Tune YardsHeadliners
Speedy OrtizZanzabar
TennisIroquis Amplitheater
Alt-JIroquis Amplitheater
of MontrealHeadliners
Hop AlongZanzabar
YardijForecastle 2018
I'm With HerForecastle 2018
FlagshipForecastle 2018
Louisvile LeopardsForecastle 2018
AJRForecastle 2018
LuceroForecastle 2018
Kurt VileForecastle 2018
Father John MistyForecastle 2018
The Spencer Lee BandForecastle 2018
PVRISForecastle 2018
Morgan SaintForecastle 2018
Jimmy Eat WorldForecastle 2018
Hippie SabotageForecastle 2018
HoundmouthForecastle 2018
Teddy Abrams and CoForecastle 2018
T. PainForecastle 2018
The War on DrugsForecastle 2018
Ron GalloForecastle 2018
Colony HouseForecastle 2018
White ReaperForecastle 2018
KhruangbinForecastle 2018
Courtney BarnettForecastle 2018
Arcade FireForecastle 2018
U.S. GirlsZanzabar
??? I don't remember - White Denim?Zanzabar
Soccer Mommy
SupersuckersExit/In, Nashville
ChvrchesRyman Auditorium, Nashville
??? I don't rememberOdeon (now closed)
Caroline RoseZanzabar
King BuffaloJimmy Can't Dance
le ButcherettesZanzabar
??? some small band in Toronto
AlvvaysDanforth, Toronto
SleepBrown Theater
Louisville Orchestra (Star Wars)Kentucky Center
Kurt VileHeadliners
Deerhoof
Deerhunter (i think???)
Weezer & PixiesYum Center
MitskiHeadliners
Some London Jazz BandKansas Smitty's, London
KhruangbinBluebird, Bloomington
Tash SultanaPisgah Brewing Company
Unknown Mortal OrchestraHeadliners
Christone KingfishOld Forester's Paristown Hall
Spaz CardiganForecastle 2019
Hop AlongForecastle 2019
LuciusForecastle 2019
Cold War KidsForecastle 2019
Julia JacklinForecastle 2019
Portugal the ManForecastle 2019
Judah & the LionForecastle 2019
KillersForecastle 2019
SminoForecastle 2019
Chelsea CutlerForecastle 2019
Cautious ClayForecastle 2019
Maggie RogersForecastle 2019
Anderson.PaakForecastle 2019
Sunflower BeanForecastle 2019
DawesForecastle 2019
ChvrchesForecastle 2019
Death Cab for CutieIroquis Amplitheater
Snail Mail & SasamiHeadliners
BullyZanzabar
SurfbortOld Forester's Paristown Hall
InterpolOld Forester's Paristown Hall
Flaming LipsBourbon & Beyond 2019
Nathaniel Rateliff & the Night SweatsBourbon & Beyond 2019
John FogertyBourbon & Beyond 2019
Foo FightersBourbon & Beyond 2019
Birds of ChicagoBourbon & Beyond 2019
Margo PriceBourbon & Beyond 2019
Zac Brown BandBourbon & Beyond 2019
ZZ TopBourbon & Beyond 2019
Louisville Orchestra IUSIUS Olgle Center
Sleater KinneyOld Forester's Paristown Hall
Wood BrothersHeadliners
Budos BandHeadliners
Nicole AtkinsHeadliners
band after NicoleHeadliners
Ruen Brothers Zanzabar
PhanotgramHeadliners
Mannequin Pussy Zanzabar
LumineersYum Center
Kiana & The Sun KingsZanzabar
Austerity Program & Fool's Ghost & FotocrimeZanzabar
Erikah Badu / Thundercat openedWaterfront
The Nude PartyZanzabar
Sylvan EssoOld Forester's Paristown Hall
BarrieZanzabar
Sunflower BeanZanzabar
Glass AnimalsPalace
September MourningZanzabar
Mannequin Pussy Zanzabar
Beach HouseOld Forester's Paristown Hall
Modest MouseIroquis Amplitheater
King BuffaloZanzabar
Squirrel Nut ZippersHeadliners
Faux BrothersHeadliners
Wet LegHeadliners
Dropkick MurphysOld Forester's Paristown Hall
RubblebucketHeadliners
Fleet FoxesOld Forester's Paristown Hall
Mountain GoatsMercury Ball Room
Ruen Brothers Zanzabar
CakeMegaCorp Pavillion
Tash SultanaMegaCorp Pavillion

Hard to say which one was my favorite, but perhaps the one show that got me inspired to go to shows on my own was the Savages. My usual show buddies stood me up and I was there without any friends. Initially I was bummed/nervous, but it turned out to be one of the best experiences I've ever had and inspired me to go out to shows on my own.
IMG_20160720_214936322_HDR.jpg
PXL_20231104_013536755.jpg
Savages - Adore Life

Last edited:
November 3

I've been married 39 years. My live music tastes and those of my wife don't always align, but we've always been supportive of each other getting their concert on. More times than not, my wife would say you go and stay home with the kids. I definitely had the lion's share of live music experience. And that made those concerts I could give her all the sweeter.

One band that we both shared a top-shelf passion for - Morphine.

I'd seen them a couple times before. In 1995, a date popped up that made sense for both of us, and we headed out into a downpour of tropical storm proportions to the circus tent venue known as Ziggy's. Morphine was sublime. Played a couple unreleased songs. It was a spectacular night. My wife still has the shirt I bought her that night - and she can still wear it. She's taken great care of herself. Me - not so much. She's a saint putting up with me these 39 years.

Morphine swung back thru a couple years later. There was something "more pressing" going on that prevented us from attending. Today, I have no idea what was "more pressing" or how it affected our lives.

"We'll catch them next time", we said. A couple years later, Mark Sandman suffered a massive, fatal heart attack onstage in Italy and that was that.

Yer Ol' Uncle D's music rule #1 - Always, always, go to the show. You never know when fate is going to insert itself.

Luckily, I'm a taper and we got twisted priorities. I was rolling in 1995. Not my best work, but quite listenable. Here's a taste of the sublime Morphine rocking Winston-Salem, NC during a monsoon...

Morphine - Cure For Pain

20231104_013308.jpg

November 4
You: “If you like _____, then you’ll DEFINITELY love _______. This is THE BEST ALBUM OF THE YEAR!!”
Them: :::crickets:::

What is one of your favorite artists/records that you feel is criminally underrated or ignored and makes you question your taste in music because no one else is raving about it? Now is the time to sell us on it!

Fantastic psych rock from Brazil, saw them opening for The Brian Jonestown Massacre and they fucking ruled.
I'm a terrible salesman, check them out on KEXP!

This is their latest album, pressed through crowdsourcing.

Bike - Arte Bruta

IMG_5916.jpeg

I'm really going to try my best to complete the month this time -

November 1

My memory is pretty bad at when I bought what - even today I can't tell you when/where I got a record this year let alone 30+ years ago. I suppose the act of purchasing just doesn't make a huge impression on me.

Having said that - I have no idea what my first album on vinyl was - as a kid we had the whole set of those Gremlin read-along records...and those are really the only records I remember having as a kid. The turntable we used wasn't that good - I think it was some cheap upright console - with some crap BSR turntable.

Screenshot 2023-11-04 080051.png

I had cassettes for most of the 80's. It wasn't until sometime during high school (1991 - 1995) that I got my first records and turntable - some cheap 90's era Fisher.

Records were already phased out of the music stores and those Long Box CD's were in their place, so my first memory of buying records was at an antique mall. A guy had a booth that had a lot of what I was into - XTC/Devo/Elvis Costello/The Clash/Talking Heads/Roxy Music/The Jam/The Damned. Finding this used all in one spot was totally out of place in Quincy, Illinois of all places. Prices were fine, too - all about 1 to 2 bucks each. 50 cents for the 7"s. So I stocked up on 7"s. A lot of what was there were UK pressings, too.

With all that I really can't pinpoint the exact first record, but I have a general idea of what I bought from that antique mall booth.

The Jam – Setting Sons
Polydor – POLD 5028, 1979

UK first pressing - embossed front sleeve, sticker tracklist on rear sleeve

Pressed at PRS Ltd.
Cut at Strawberry Mastering

tOCpR8X.jpg

VnWNvih.jpg

November 2

Since I have issues with my memory I'm just going to go with the last show I went to - which was still a pretty long time ago. I'm sure I've posted these previously, but who cares. Plus I don't have pics from those shows and I really love me some digital high-fives.

Saturday, 6/13/2009 @ Berbati's Pan, Portland

4996_1115238974482_1421222_n.jpg
4996_1115239014483_991429_n.jpg
4996_1115239054484_722587_n.jpg

Steve Albini waving - Bob Weston on Bass, Todd Trainer on Drums

Tinnitus has kept me from going back to live shows. I couldn't hear for a week after this show...plus I just don't like crowds anymore.

Shellac – At Action Park
Touch And Go – TG141, 1994

Original 165 Gram release - "Made In England"

Pressed at EMI

ksLZ7BG.jpg

2Fa5kWG.jpg

I'm really going to try my best to complete the month this time -

November 1

My memory is pretty bad at when I bought what - even today I can't tell you when/where I got a record this year let alone 30+ years ago. I suppose the act of purchasing just doesn't make a huge impression on me.

Having said that - I have no idea what my first album on vinyl was - as a kid we had the whole set of those Gremlin read-along records...and those are really the only records I remember having as a kid. The turntable we used wasn't that good - I think it was some cheap upright console - with some crap BSR turntable.

View attachment 186442

I had cassettes for most of the 80's. It wasn't until sometime during high school (1991 - 1995) that I got my first records and turntable - some cheap 90's era Fisher.

Records were already phased out of the music stores and those Long Box CD's were in their place, so my first memory of buying records was at an antique mall. A guy had a booth that had a lot of what I was into - XTC/Devo/Elvis Costello/The Clash/Talking Heads/Roxy Music/The Jam/The Damned. Finding this used all in one spot was totally out of place in Quincy, Illinois of all places. Prices were fine, too - all about 1 to 2 bucks each. 50 cents for the 7"s. So I stocked up on 7"s. A lot of what was there were UK pressings, too.

With all that I really can't pinpoint the exact first record, but I have a general idea of what I bought from that antique mall booth.

The Jam – Setting Sons
Polydor – POLD 5028, 1979

UK first pressing - embossed front sleeve, sticker tracklist on rear sleeve

Pressed at PRS Ltd.
Cut at Strawberry Mastering

tOCpR8X.jpg

VnWNvih.jpg
2nd only to Sound Affects in The Jam's catalogue

November 2

Since I have issues with my memory I'm just going to go with the last show I went to - which was still a pretty long time ago. I'm sure I've posted these previously, but who cares. Plus I don't have pics from those shows and I really love me some digital high-fives.

Saturday, 6/13/2009 @ Berbati's Pan, Portland

View attachment 186446
View attachment 186447
View attachment 186448

Steve Albini waving - Bob Weston on Bass, Todd Trainer on Drums

Tinnitus has kept me from going back to live shows. I couldn't hear for a week after this show...plus I just don't like crowds anymore.

Shellac – At Action Park
Touch And Go – TG141, 1994

Original 165 Gram release - "Made In England"

Pressed at EMI

ksLZ7BG.jpg

2Fa5kWG.jpg
Shellac is amazing live. So punishing, especially with Trainer on the skins

November 4
What is one of your favorite artists/records that you feel is criminally underrated or ignored and makes you question your taste in music because no one else is raving about it? Now is the time to sell us on it!

Expo Seventy - Virtually From the Unknown

You like 30 minute long improvisational jams, moogs, dark ambient drones that make you think your skull is going to implode and Kosmische Music? Then check out Expo Seventy (or Expo 70).

Expo 70 is mainly Justin Wright but sometimes also a trio (then they are called Expo Seventy). Prolific artist from St Louis, though a hand injury several years ago has slowed him down. I have 10 of his records on vinyl and another 3 on cd plus a ton of digital releases from his Bandcamp store.
IMG_0030.jpg

November 1

The Police - Synchronicity

img_20210801_202812696_hdr-2-jpg.107533

I am a child of the early 80s, but I have no memory of records ever being played at home because my dad hopped on the CD train pretty early. The Police were one of his favorite bands in high school, and I remember at least one of his CDs was early enough that there was a little paper that said how to care for a CD and had the warning DO NOT PLAY ON A RECORD PLAYER.

Back