This Is Jeopardy! (Halloween Edition): The October 2023 Vinyl Spin Challenge Thread

16. This film franchise is about people trying to beat death's plan, like not getting smashed by a log flying off a truck. This album features a musician who beat death's plan at least once.

What is Baroness - Blue Record?

In 2012, the band's bus crashed in England, complete with a 40-foot drop off a viaduct. Injuries were pretty severe, but everyone survived.

Fun fact- Final Destination was initially a script for an episode of X-Files!

20230819_112556.jpg

Day 9: This movie features the famous line "Here's Johnny" and a musician on this album could say that everytime they walk on stage.
What is The Shining?
What is 'Eargasm' by Johnnie Taylor?
View attachment 184822

You could photoshop-in the edges on an axed down door around Johnnie's face from the cover, and it would work pretty well.

I've been trying to find a good Japanese pressing of this the past few months. This album still hits hard for me after all these years.

So have I! I found an ok Canadian pressing from 1980 at some point, pressed on that somewhat translucent Quiex formulation, but it's still not quiet enough for what I want for this album.

October17This film franchise is built around a twisted form of gameified therapy. One of the musicians on this album has publically acknowledged their mental health issues.

So many great artists that couldn't weather the storm could be used here, but I was determined to highlight a survivor...

Who is Ray Davies?

The Kinks - Low Budget

20231018_000919.jpg

October18One of the musicians on this album contributed to a song featured in this Samara Weaving movie.

I have no idea which movie so here's a twofer...

Who is Nick Cave and Warren Ellis?

Nick & The Bad Seeds contributed to Scream VI and Warren scored Bad Girl.

They both contributed to this beautiful cacophony...

Grinderman - S/T

20231018_004828.jpg

October17This film franchise is built around a twisted form of gameified therapy. One of the musicians on this album has publically acknowledged their mental health issues.

What is Saw (Black Country, New Road - Ants From Up There)?

20231017_230114.jpg

Isaac Wood left the band less than a week before the release of Ants From Up There, citing depression and anxiety. This material, to my knowledge, has not been performed in a live setting.
It's already all time for the 2020s so far. Emotionally gripping and resonant without any pretention. Not one lowlight to be found.

October18One of the musicians on this album contributed to a song featured in this Samara Weaving movie.

I have no idea which movie so here's a twofer...

Who is Nick Cave and Warren Ellis?

Nick & The Bad Seeds contributed to Scream VI and Warren scored Bad Girl.

They both contributed to this beautiful cacophony...

Grinderman - S/T

View attachment 184859

For some answers there are multiple right questions.

October16This film franchise is about people trying to beat death's plan, like not getting smashed by a log flying off a truck. This album features a musician who beat death's plan at least once.
What is... Final Destination? This is: Radiohead - OK Computer.

Based on Thom Yorke's own experience and reason for his fear of cars:
In a fast German car. I'm amazed that I survived, an airbag saved my life. In an interstellar burst, I'm back to save the universe

20231018_113818.jpg

What is Twisted Marriage Therapist and who is Ian Curtis of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures" (1979 Factory; 2019 reissue)?
Even if they didn't talk much publicly about it back then, I wanted to feature an artist that suffered through mental illness from back then. I saw an article that mentioned that more than 60% of musicians suffer from some form of mental illness. Even if musicians are more open about it now, it certainly isn't new. And while Ian Curtis didn't publicly talk about it, his art does publicly reflect his struggles with depression. And this album is timeless.

IMG_0500.JPG

Day 16: “Death Defyer” for $800
Screenshot 2023-10-17 at 3.12.57 PM.jpeg
What is Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
IMG_8038.jpeg

On July 13, 1996, Anselmo went into cardiac arrest due to a heroin overdose after a show at the Coca-Cola Starplex in Dallas, Texas. Paramedics revived him, and four days later, he issued a press release stating, "I, Philip H. Anselmo [...] injected a lethal dose of heroin into my arm, and died for four to five minutes".

What is...Funny Games? (not really sure if this is franchise tho as there's only the original and remake). Ok i peeked at other's and Saw fits a lot better This is Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power. I know she's mentioned that she suffers from bipolar disorder.

20231018_130800.jpg

What is...Funny Games? (not really sure if this is franchise tho as there's only the original and remake). Ok i peeked at other's and Saw fits a lot better This is Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power. I know she's mentioned that she suffers from bipolar disorder.

View attachment 184886
I don't know her music all that well, but I really enjoyed the visually stunning music movie thing she put out with her last album.

Back