Third Man Records Vault

3+ hours and 38 tracks on vinyl makes this unlikely to be a "single sitting" record for me, but couldn't be more pumped to get this in the collection.

Now all I need is a 'Get Behind Me Satan'-era live album, and I'll feel really good about the amount of live music I'll have. (At least until they do another live Dead Weather record.)
I’d love the 2005 Chicago show where they played GBMS in full. I’m good on live DW but I’d probably jump at a full show from the 2010 tour. Was at the Sea of Cowards show that was a Vault back then and it was amazing.

Vault 47 looks great

Introducing Vault Package #47: Jack White Live At The Masonic Temple

vault47_banner.jpg

On July 30th, 2014 Jack White played one of the most captivating live shows of his career. With the friendly confines of Detroit’s Masonic Temple providing as much of a home field advantage as White could ever get, this tour-de-force, three hour plus, 38 song barn-burner of a set spanned the breadth of his recorded career and left all comers in its wake gobsmacked, a testament to the undiminished magnetism of a performer at the height of his powers.

Kicking off at breakneck pace with three sizzling fan favorites from the White Stripes back catalog, the impromptu song selection never loses focus and instead delivers body blow after body blow of unrelenting passion. Inspired, off-the-cuff covers of Beck’s “Devil’s Haircut” to Zeppelin’s “Lemon Song”, Hank Williams’ “Ramblin’ Man” to Junior Wells’ “Hoodoo Man” absolutely delight. White’s Dead Weather bandmates Alison Mosshart and Dean Fertita unexpectedly join onstage for a particularly heavy version of “I Cut Like a Buffalo.” Chock full of delightful stage banter, local references and even a laugh-out-loud takedown of a supposed icon (you’ll have to listen to know exactly), the performance manages to blow everyone’s mind, both satiating desire and yet quizzically also leaving them wanting more...such are the paradoxes of a truly transcendent evening.

As Third Man Records’ 47th Vault package, we are proud to present here for the first time, Jack White Live at the Masonic Temple 7-30-14. Spanning four 180-gram colored vinyl LPs, housed in an immaculate slipcase cover with custom printed photo inner sleeves, bedecked with stunning photos shot that evening by official tour photographer David Swanson, the overall package is exquisite and grand in a manner befitting of the audio it contains.

For an extra special added bonus, Third Man is including a 7-inch single of Jack White’s October 2020 performance on Saturday Night Live. Jumping in with two days notice to fill the musical guest slot, White unleashed an explosive power trio medley of “Don’t Hurt Yourself” (a song he co-wrote with Beyonce and included on her “Lemonade” album) into the White Stripes’ classic “Ball and Biscuit” while interpolating elements of “Jesus Is Coming Soon”, a song originally written by Blind Willie Johnson about the 1918 Spanish Flu outbreak that feels uniquely relatable in light of the current COVID-19 pandemic. On the flipside is White’s blistering reimagination of his 2014 track “Lazaretto” with a brief, respectable, finger-tapping solo nod to Eddie Van Halen (performed on an EVH signature model guitar), who passed away earlier that week. Inarguably one of the most talked about and praised Saturday Night Live musical performances in some time, it felt only right to enshrine these takes into the vinyl permanence.
Yep, they pulled me back in with this one.

Anyone know if it's possible to hear this show somewhere? I see that one track is up on the vault site.
I did a quick Youtube search and found a few songs there. Otherwise TMR has a deal with Nugs.net to put any recorded shows there for streaming. I just checked there and didn't see anything for this show specifically.

So I’ve never subscribed to the Vault, but is it just this one release you get for $65? I’m interested in this set, but $65 seems pretty steep...

So I’ve never subscribed to the Vault, but is it just this one release you get for $65? I’m interested in this set, but $65 seems pretty steep...
The quarterly release. A discount in Tidal and a discount on all purchases at the TmR store.

That is correct. You get access to some other things, but this is the one guaranteed thing you are buying.

Thanks for the responses! I’ll think about it some more, but I’m probably going to sign up for this one. I think this is a cool set, and as @Crabbers points out, it isn’t too pricey compared to other clubs lol.

My brother-in-law has the Sleep Vault release, and that seemed like a really nice package and well worth the money.

Thanks for the responses! I’ll think about it some more, but I’m probably going to sign up for this one. I think this is a cool set, and as @Crabbers points out, it isn’t too pricey compared to other clubs lol.

My brother-in-law has the Sleep Vault release, and that seemed like a really nice package and well worth the money.
There are some releases that probably don’t live up to the pricing (the latest new albums from JW and Raconteurs comes to mind) but others are significantly underpriced and I’d say this one falls into the latter group.

Even the Vault releases which may seem underwhelming seem to hold their value and are well done.

I used to be a huge TMR collector but fell off after I missed some release at some point but their stuff has always been the most consistent in terms of package quality IMO. The fact they only raised their prices after 10 years is pretty amazing. I know lots of people have issues with URP or TMR pressings, but they’ve always sounded great to me and I’ve never had any issues with their customer service either.

A lot has changed from their early days where their customer service chat was directing you to Ben Swank’s AIM account but they’re still top notch.

Anyone know if it's possible to hear this show somewhere? I see that one track is up on the vault site.
I seem to recall there’s been a no taping rule in effect for solo Jack four years. If you want a general feel for the Lazaretto band, the Chicago show a few nights before this was radio broadcast and was previously the longest show he’d done before this one. From what I remember, the band was a mix of the all male and all female bands he had on the 2012 tour and was solid.

The recent Third Man live recordings have always been top notch. Lots of the archival Stripes material can be rough, but they’re locked into their system nowadays

I seem to recall there’s been a no taping rule in effect for solo Jack four years. If you want a general feel for the Lazaretto band, the Chicago show a few nights before this was radio broadcast and was previously the longest show he’d done before this one. From what I remember, the band was a mix of the all male and all female bands he had on the 2012 tour and was solid.

The recent Third Man live recordings have always been top notch. Lots of the archival Stripes material can be rough, but they’re locked into their system nowadays
Yeah that one track on SoundCloud sounds excellent, very little crowd noise on the recording as well.

I'm actually debating this one. I should have gotten the best of and didn't.. This might be my backup "best of"... Hows the international shipping packaging from TMR? Decent?
I'm not a TMR Vault completionist but I dip in and out when they release something I like. After sitting out for awhile, I signed back up for the Johnny Cash release (which is actually a bit disappointing IMO). I forgot to cancel afterward and got auto charged for the Greatest Hits, which I did not want and fought with them for a refund, to no avail. Well, Greatest Hits finally arrived last week, and it's...great. It's like I made a Spotify playlist of my favorite Stripes songs and hit Shuffle, but on vinyl.

Favorite past Vaults... go!

for me it’s the following:
Dead Weather Live at Third Man
Greenhorns - Boscobel Blues
White Stripes final show
Jack live at TMR 2012
Pearl Jam live at TMR

Favorite past Vaults... go!

for me it’s the following:
Dead Weather Live at Third Man
Greenhorns - Boscobel Blues
White Stripes final show
Jack live at TMR 2012
Pearl Jam live at TMR

Icky Thump - mono
Willie Nelson and Friends
White Stripes - live in Mississippi
Wanda Jackson - live at TMR
Raconteurs - live in London

Yes no taping and no phones, which is kind of annoying but ends up being super cool once you're there. It will eventually be up on Nugs, probably to hype this release.

Back