The Waxhole: Speakeasy & Whisk(e)y Lounge

Love out of state liquor stores. Its the same sort of excitement as hitting an unfamiliar record store. Could be a bud light/Dan Fogelberg kinda place, or maybe a surprise Old Forester single barrel barrel proof/old Japanese pressings honey hole...

View attachment 192231
I live in VA just like @kvetcha and visiting the liquor stores out of state is literally one of my favorite things to do, particularly in nearby places such as DC or KY. The fact that I can’t get something at home increases the allure at least ten-fold

Splurged on this a few weeks ago and forgot to post about it. I still consider myself a Scotch n00b and want to try as many as I can reasonably.

This one is a peat BOMB. It’s good, but mother of god…. The box claims to be “the peatiest, smokiest, most complex single malt of them all.” I’d have to agree. But it makes it a little less drinkable than some other Islay scotches that I’ve had, at least this bottle. Very smoky, almost medicinal in taste with a bitter finish. Ice or some water opens it up. I’ve even added some vermouth and bitters which makes it more palatable.

This one was $60 which is steep for me. $5 less is the Laphroaig 10 which has been my favorite Islay that I’ve had so far. I’ll probably have this bottle on my bar for a bit since I won’t go through it has quickly as I would with others.

IMG_1414.jpeg

Splurged on this a few weeks ago and forgot to post about it. I still consider myself a Scotch n00b and want to try as many as I can reasonably.

This one is a peat BOMB. It’s good, but mother of god…. The box claims to be “the peatiest, smokiest, most complex single malt of them all.” I’d have to agree. But it makes it a little less drinkable than some other Islay scotches that I’ve had, at least this bottle. Very smoky, almost medicinal in taste with a bitter finish. Ice or some water opens it up. I’ve even added some vermouth and bitters which makes it more palatable.

This one was $60 which is steep for me. $5 less is the Laphroaig 10 which has been my favorite Islay that I’ve had so far. I’ll probably have this bottle on my bar for a bit since I won’t go through it has quickly as I would with others.

View attachment 192605
It’s been years since I’ve tried Ardbeg 10, I really should give it another go. At the time I remember not liking it as much as Laphroaig, but I feel like popular opinion these days goes the other direction. Maybe once one of my Laphroaig bottles is empty. Also, it’s not an Islay, but have you tried Talisker?

Slainte!

It’s been years since I’ve tried Ardbeg 10, I really should give it another go. At the time I remember not liking it as much as Laphroaig, but I feel like popular opinion these days goes the other direction. Maybe once one of my Laphroaig bottles is empty. Also, it’s not an Islay, but have you tried Talisker?

Slainte!
I also think Laphroaig is such a cool name so it’s always a caught my eyes as one to try. It’s so smoky but smooth. I really enjoy it.

No I have not! I checked the local shop near me and their site says they don’t carry it, so I may have to pick it up elsewhere. Looks like it goes for $50-$70~ online so that’s not too bad all things considered.

I also think Laphroaig is such a cool name so it’s always a caught my eyes as one to try. It’s so smoky but smooth. I really enjoy it.

No I have not! I checked the local shop near me and their site says they don’t carry it, so I may have to pick it up elsewhere. Looks like it goes for $50-$70~ online so that’s not too bad all things considered.
Talisker only gently smoky, but has this gorgeous briny quality that is pretty special. It’s absolutely worth a go! Talisker 10 if you can get it, Storm if that’s what’s available.

Talisker only gently smoky, but has this gorgeous briny quality that is pretty special. It’s absolutely worth a go! Talisker 10 if you can get it, Storm if that’s what’s available.
I’m going out of state this weekend so I’ll be on the lookout for it. Stuff up here is usually like $10 more/bottle anyways.

I’ve never had Jura before and I got a bottle of Jura 12 as a white elephant gift. I have to say, this stuff sucks. As a single malt, it’s … pathetic. Really, being polite, it’s weak tea. More bluntly, it’s like drinking dishwater. No flavor, boring, weak. Just bad.

Nothing new here, but I was hoping the hate was hyperbole.

Last edited:

View attachment 192605
Ardbeg is a bottle that has always lasted me a very long time. You have to be in the mood for a beatdown. If you're still interested in venturing out, I recommend Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 year - Much more balanced. Laphroaig is great as well.

Ardbeg is a bottle that has always lasted me a very long time. You have to be in the mood for a beatdown. If you're still interested in venturing out, I recommend Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 year - Much more balanced. Laphroaig is great as well.
That looks to be about $50-$60 which is definitely what I’m willing to spend on a bottle! I’ll have to check that out next time I see it. I think I recognize that shorter bottle on shelves.

High West Double Rye finished in Rum barrels. Not great. Tastes like a nice rum finish trying to cover up mediocre, young rye. It's partially successful, but not enough.View attachment 192791
View attachment 192792
I remember enjoying the standard Double Rye, but I also get the impression that High West is spreading themselves a little thin and that quality has suffered.

Polished off a bottle of Mars Whisky Iwai Tradition, a pleasant but generally mediocre Japanese whiskey that I got on deep discount. Can't say I would ever recommend it at full price - it has the character of a blended Scotch like Dewars but at over twice the cost.

I did order a couple of interesting Virginia whiskies that should arrive in the next week or two, looking forward to checking those out.

Back