The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

If I ever do it my plan for one of these would still be to get a silver and then buy an nice wooden plinth/isolation box to sit it in and hide the whole dual tone look 😂
I love that look with these.. I may still do it for the 1210...

The beast is up.

Setup isn’t absolutely perfect. Only level to 2 decimal points. Not 4. At MDs advice I am running the factory mat. VTA is off maybe .5 mm. Can’t get it quite low enough to be spot on with 140 gram records.

And you know what? I don’t care. The sound. Holy shit.

Noise floor is non existent.

Bass depth and slam is stupid-like I added a sub. Not kidding.

Not as bright sounding as the GR.

Crazy dynamics.

Which brings me to my immediate G-GR comparison. You can’t. They look similar, but other than that, they aren’t. The GR is fantastic. But the G?

Let’s put it this way- I just changed my vacation from one week to two.

Worth every penny, and then some.

C1016ADD-A3F6-4934-9A3D-9514B4C8E747.jpeg

The beast is up.

Setup isn’t absolutely perfect. Only level to 2 decimal points. Not 4. At MDs advice I am running the factory mat. VTA is off maybe .5 mm. Can’t get it quite low enough to be spot on with 140 gram records.

And you know what? I don’t care. The sound. Holy shit.

Noise floor is non existent.

Bass depth and slam is stupid-like I added a sub. Not kidding.

Not as bright sounding as the GR.

Crazy dynamics.

Which brings me to my immediate G-GR comparison. You can’t. They look similar, but other than that, they aren’t. The GR is fantastic. But the G?

Let’s put it this way- I just changed my vacation from one week to two.

Worth every penny, and then some.

View attachment 142605
Which is mental as the GR is hands down the best TT I’ve personally heard. If I’m lucky I’ll never wander into anywhere that just happens to have a G playing.

Which is mental as the GR is hands down the best TT I’ve personally heard. If I’m lucky I’ll never wander into anywhere that just happens to have a G playing.
Yeah I’m deciding whether to splurge on a GR… I don’t need this type of information.

The G is likely the best turntable I’ve ever heard. This includes tables into 5 figures.

And with a $260 cartridge.

Last edited:
The G is likely the best turntable I’ve ever heard. This includes tables into 5 figures.

And with a $260 cartridge.

With this talk about comparing the G to more expensive tables I’m sensing an SL-1000R in your future 😂

Joking aside, glad you’re enjoying the G. That would be an ultimate goal table for me if I ever have the money to spend. Pretty goofy conservation going on the mastering engineer’s forum a few weeks ago about all these new Technics essentially being the same. On the contrary, going from the 1500C to the GR has left me with the impression that Technics has built a real sense of scaled build quality into the line.

With this talk about comparing the G to more expensive tables I’m sensing an SL-1000R in your future 😂

Joking aside, glad you’re enjoying the G. That would be an ultimate goal table for me if I ever have the money to spend. Pretty goofy conservation going on the mastering engineer’s forum a few weeks ago about all these new Technics essentially being the same. On the contrary, going from the 1500C to the GR has left me with the impression that Technics has built a real sense of scaled build quality into the line.

Those people are clueless. Any Google search will show different feet, arms, platters and motors between the three. The GR is 25 pounds, the G is almost 40. They obviously aren’t “the same”. And the GR and the G sound completely different. It’s not subtle.

Yeah I’m deciding whether to splurge on a GR… I don’t need this type of information.
This discussion always boils down to your budget and how far you want to go. As @HiFi Guy mentioned, and I've never heard the G, of course this is making me reconsider if I want to visit him next month when I'm in Florida ;)

Anyway, as much as I may want the G, it's a tough pull at it's price point. In my opinion when your hitting the $3k + territory you're looking at end game TT's, just my opinion of course. That all said, the GR gives me everything I'm looking for, it sounds fantastic in my system (something else to always keep in mind, what does person A have upstream from the TT). The GR also needs to be set up properly, and accurately to get the most out of it, should be a give in for any TT.

It really depends on how you see your "musical hardware" journey. I've just gotten to the point of really drawing a line in the sand and doing my best to stay within it. Of course, this "rule" came from listening, buying, testing a lot of different things, and that's what led to MY conclusion as to what's good for ME. Honestly, if I get the itch for a move from the GR, the G will be at the top of the list, but, and it's a big but, I've also started moving away from the "joy" of multiple carts, so if I end up going with a single cart mentality, I may go a different route than the G. Who knows and we'll see.

The reality is that when I had my Orbit system it sounded great, when I had the UD system it sounded great, when I had my PLX system it sounded great, and now with the GR, it sounds great...........aside from my current amp issues ;)

This discussion always boils down to your budget and how far you want to go. As @HiFi Guy mentioned, and I've never heard the G, of course this is making me reconsider if I want to visit him next month when I'm in Florida ;)

Anyway, as much as I may want the G, it's a tough pull at it's price point. In my opinion when your hitting the $3k + territory you're looking at end game TT's, just my opinion of course. That all said, the GR gives me everything I'm looking for, it sounds fantastic in my system (something else to always keep in mind, what does person A have upstream from the TT). The GR also needs to be set up properly, and accurately to get the most out of it, should be a give in for any TT.

It really depends on how you see your "musical hardware" journey. I've just gotten to the point of really drawing a line in the sand and doing my best to stay within it. Of course, this "rule" came from listening, buying, testing a lot of different things, and that's what led to MY conclusion as to what's good for ME. Honestly, if I get the itch for a move from the GR, the G will be at the top of the list, but, and it's a big but, I've also started moving away from the "joy" of multiple carts, so if I end up going with a single cart mentality, I may go a different route than the G. Who knows and we'll see.

The reality is that when I had my Orbit system it sounded great, when I had the UD system it sounded great, when I had my PLX system it sounded great, and now with the GR, it sounds great...........aside from my current amp issues ;)
Yes that’s part of the fun of this hobby. Everyone has different tastes and priorities.

Having recently discovered mono cartridges beyond the theory of why they are better, I’m shocked at how much use I’m getting out of mine. Every extended listening session ends up in mono by the end.

So for me, I can’t ever see going back to a fixed headshell arm. Actually, I’m certain the G is my last table.

Others will have different tastes and priorities. That’s cool too.

And you’d better visit.

Back