The Technics Turntable Fan Club - Questions, Advice, Discussion

Have there been reports about PLX reliability issues? I’d expect it to easily run for 20 years.
Absolutely no issues that I’m aware of. Sorry if I intimated that. But unlike the 1200’s there also haven’t been any around for 20, 30 even 40 years… I’m sure they’ll both last for a long time.

Last edited:
I installed the KAB Damper on my Technics and I could instantly tell the difference. I had been having some skips and they played through after installing the damper. I had been playing around with settings and this thing has just tamed a very loose feeling tonearm. Looking forward to more plays.

I'm using the lp gear ultimate headshell (a jelco hs-50) and i need to use a thicker mat to have the same vta setting as the original Technics headshell.

Someone knows about a headshell with the same "height" as the original Technics?

I'm using the lp gear ultimate headshell (a jelco hs-50) and i need to use a thicker mat to have the same vta setting as the original Technics headshell.

Someone knows about a headshell with the same "height" as the original Technics?
Why not simply change the height at the base of the tonearm?

Might these also work?

Yes, shims can work ... some people says that shims can affect the cartridge / headshell interaction ... I really don't know. That's why I'm trying to use a "similar" headshell in size.

The new Technics headshells are totally overpriced ... in the same price tag you can get a magnesium jelco hs-25 (I have one) or a
Yamamoto.

Yes, shims can work ... some people says that shims can affect the cartridge / headshell interaction ... I really don't know. That's why I'm trying to use a "similar" headshell in size.

The new Technics headshells are totally overpriced ... in the same price tag you can get a magnesium jelco hs-25 (I have one) or a
Yamamoto.

Yeah new Tech headshells are a rip-off, especially considering the poor QC on factory azimuth, the shortened handle, and cheap leads.

If you’re trying to keep it cheap, why not try the Audio Technica AT-HS6? In fact I find the build quality on par, or better than classic MK2 Technics headshells, so the only thing cheap is the price. Height is approximately similar to the classic Technics. I use one on my SL-1700 with its stock mat, and I’d say VTA is within tolerance you’d expect from a non adjustable deck.

Nice, I’ve been pretty boring with my cart selection but I like to switch in some different ones in my collection epsically for beater records. I did upgrade to the LH11H headshell, not sure if that was much of an upgrade with my VM95ML but I appreciate the azimuth and overhang adjustments and it looks cool. As an added bonus I now have the counter-weight very close to the pivot thanks to the aux weight. Again, not sure it really matters but I’m just having fun at this point.9200BAA9-BE63-46A4-AFCE-90CED20990EA.jpeg

Grado has 1200 GR (and 1500C) in stock if anyone happens to be looking. fyi

Last edited:
I don’t have the G yet. Still waiting for stock from MD.

That said I’m beyond impressed with the GR. Either that or the G could (and likely will be) my last turntable.
Is there one or two attributes that stand out most from going to Direct Drive ? Bass impact, drive, for ie ?

Back