The Taproom (aka Anything and Everything Beer)

This one hurts, folks.

damn from being employee owned to being just another beer in a corporate taproom. Glad they gave out $100,000 in retirement to their employees in the process at least (probably could've been more).

damn from being employee owned to being just another beer in a corporate taproom. Glad they gave out $100,000 in retirement to their employees in the process at least (probably could've been more).

Rhinegeist just went employee owned a few months back after rumors swirled for forever that they were going to sell out. The decision to sell to employees was made partially because of their strong relationship with New Belgium. I wonder if this is foreboding to how it's gonna go for them too. I hope not.

It’s pretty crazy that they sold but altogether not surprising, I suppose. They have essentially been looking for a buyer the past four/five years if I’m not mistaken.

It’s really disappointing that they won’t be an ESOP anymore though. They were such a proponent for that and a great example on how to make that work for a business model. It’s nice that the employees are getting $$$ but still a disappointment for ESOPs.

Hopefully the culture doesn’t change up there. They still have the best beer tour and the new taproom is pretty awesome in FoCo. I don’t buy their beer often unless it’s one of their pilot beers at the taproom or one of the sours but it’s still a little sad to see another Colorado beer company being gobbled up by a major.

Rhinegeist just went employee owned a few months back after rumors swirled for forever that they were going to sell out. The decision to sell to employees was made partially because of their strong relationship with New Belgium. I wonder if this is foreboding to how it's gonna go for them too. I hope not.
Dude, if Rhinegeist sells out I'm going to go ugly cry in the corner.

Dude, if Rhinegeist sells out I'm going to go ugly cry in the corner.

I'd be there with you, friend.

Felt like I lived in that taproom for a long time before I moved north. It's nice having them on tap basically everywhere up here still. A little hoppy taste of home whenever I want it.

I saw this article today from the Chicago Tribune, which has always tasted Goose Island's Bourbon County Stout line up and written it up. Goose Island (now owned by AB Inbev) broke tradition and did not offer the Trib access to taste. Probably because the author wrote an unflattering review of the lineup vs Revolution Brewing's Deep Wood series (which I love). So the writer went to Twitter.

The article is full of all the things you would expect to see when talking about a craft brewer bought by a big conglomerate. But this quote was the one that resonated most with me.

Bourbon County has become a good-not-great family of beers in which it’s ever more difficult to discern where the brewing ends and the marketing begins.

They were my gateway brewery. Fat Tire, then Ranger. Then trying their sours and heavier Belgian styles.

I understand. I'm not really into sours and Belgian styles that much so I cannot comment on NB's beer in that regard. I always thought Fat Tire was a "craft beer" for people who don't really drink craft beer. Its not even that good of an amber. To each their own, I suppose.

Lately, I've really been into Santa Fe Brewing Company (their Imperial Java Stout and 7k IPA), Left Hand (all their nitro stouts), New Holland (Hoptronix IPA and their Dragons Breath varieties) and Founders (Angry Bastard Scottish ale and that Breakfast Stout).

American friends: favourite beers? I'm in the US for about a week and just got back from Wegman's overwhelmed with the beer selection, not recognizing very much. Generally APAs are my favourite style but can get down on an IPA, porter, or pretty much anything apart from a Gose from time to time.

American friends: favourite beers? I'm in the US for about a week and just got back from Wegman's overwhelmed with the beer selection, not recognizing very much. Generally APAs are my favourite style but can get down on an IPA, porter, or pretty much anything apart from a Gose from time to time.
Where are you? If anyone is from around there they could probably give better recommendations.

If you want to go to a store, AJs Beer warehouse has a great selection.

Best brewery in town is prob Swiftwater, they also have food. Three Heads is also good and has a large selection.

Some other NY breweries that have great beers: Grimm, Other Half for juicy IPAs, Ommegang for more European styles.

if you go to AJs pick up a bomber of Maine Beer Co Lunch, just a top tier clean IPA.

If you want to go to a store, AJs Beer warehouse has a great selection.

Best brewery in town is prob Swiftwater, they also have food. Three Heads is also good and has a large selection.

Some other NY breweries that have great beers: Grimm, Other Half for juicy IPAs, Ommegang for more European styles.

if you go to AJs pick up a bomber of Maine Beer Co Lunch, just a top tier clean IPA.
Thank you! I've definitely had Ommegang before but I forget which. I should have some time to go out this weekend so I will keep a lookout for all these or try to make a trip to Swiftwater. The gf's family aren't beer drinkers at all so I usually fly blind when I'm here.

Back