The Roost - All things Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch

thanks for letting me stop by @LeSamourai, much appreciated!

that was my first time going to another island. a couple questions- do different islands have a selection of different items available to them? kinda like fruit, but with furniture/etc., where there is just no way to get something unless you go elsewhere? there were a bunch of things on @LeSamourai's pad that i hadn't seen available before. i know the catalog is ginormous, but it did make me wonder if you have to travel to get certain items if you want them. i've nothing specific in mind, i'm just curious.

also, can you go in other people's houses and look around? i didn't want to try unless i knew for sure.

As far as I know, the surfboard that was in the store over the summer was the only thing that you had to get from other islands if you wanted all the variations, but I could be wrong on that.

And yes, you can go into other people's houses! Not sure if you have to be friends or not, but it can be done...I like to go through my friends' houses and make a list of things I want them to let me add to my catalog lol

thanks for letting me stop by @LeSamourai, much appreciated!

that was my first time going to another island. a couple questions- do different islands have a selection of different items available to them? kinda like fruit, but with furniture/etc., where there is just no way to get something unless you go elsewhere? there were a bunch of things on @LeSamourai's pad that i hadn't seen available before. i know the catalog is ginormous, but it did make me wonder if you have to travel to get certain items if you want them. i've nothing specific in mind, i'm just curious.

also, can you go in other people's houses and look around? i didn't want to try unless i knew for sure.

I don't know, I've only visited/been visited a couple times, but I think you can visit anyone's house, plus stuff in a house can't be picked up by anyone but the owner (including fellow islanders, like my wife and kids can't pick up stuff in my house). I never thought to check the selection of the stores of other people's islands!

As far as I know, the surfboard that was in the store over the summer was the only thing that you had to get from other islands if you wanted all the variations, but I could be wrong on that.

this reminds me- is that space in the shop that the surfboard was in normally always empty? i always thought it was weird the surfboard never changed and the other couple items that rotated in that spot (a fan and something else?) never changed, and now it's just been empty for weeks.

this reminds me- is that space in the shop that the surfboard was in normally always empty? i always thought it was weird the surfboard never changed and the other couple items that rotated in that spot (a fan and something else?) never changed, and now it's just been empty for weeks.

it was empty for a while, then popped up with the surfboard and the fan for summer, then went away again...so I'm guessing it's a reserved spot for any seasonal items being sold in the store so that those items don't take up another item's spot. I think I heard that it comes back later with winter items too.

Edit: I asked my friend and he said that the slot is only full during the summer and winter: in the summer, it rotates between a fan and a surfboard (but you always get the same variation, and have to go to other islands if you want other designs/colors), and in the winter it rotates between a space heater and a candle

alright, good to know, i was wondering if there was some glitch or something. thanks!

i'll probably take you up on your offer to come to your island tomorrow, just to check things out and maybe steal some fruit. it was cool to see another island.

Does anyone have the scarecrow recipe, and would be willing to make one for me? I'll pay. My pumpkin patch is in need of some flair!

Also...has anyone else stopped getting furniture/item drops from shaking trees? I haven't gotten any all week, and I only have 1 tree that's blocked and can't drop anything.

I'm excited to waste so much time this weekend spookifying both my island and myself

I was surprised that the spooky items in Nooks each day seem to be the same ones you can craft. So you have the option to craft OR buy them.

I have a scarecrow too if you want it. I think we're friends in the game?

I was surprised that the spooky items in Nooks each day seem to be the same ones you can craft. So you have the option to craft OR buy them.

I haven’t seen any new crafts other than one villager gave me recipe for spooky candy something. I will make it. Unless I see it for sale. But that’s a little weird if it’s done that way.

I haven’t seen any new crafts other than one villager gave me recipe for spooky candy something. I will make it. Unless I see it for sale. But that’s a little weird if it’s done that way.

I got my hands on a scarecrow, but thanks anyway!

And yeah, looks like there's a different item from the halloween DIYs for sale at Nook's every day, so I'm not too sure what the benefit of getting the recipes is unless you just want to make a bunch of them (or if you are a completionist like I am). So far I have the spooky candy DIY (from a villager this morning), and the pumpkinhead scarecrow thing DIY (which I think I shot down from a balloon, but I don't remember). I'm guessing at least some of the items (wand, floor, wall, rug) won't show up at Nook's and will need to be crafted, but idk.

There's still a benefit to growing pumpkins though, because they're needed in order to customize the items (regardless of whether they came from DIYs or Nook's).

I got my hands on a scarecrow, but thanks anyway!

And yeah, looks like there's a different item from the halloween DIYs for sale at Nook's every day, so I'm not too sure what the benefit of getting the recipes is unless you just want to make a bunch of them (or if you are a completionist like I am). So far I have the spooky candy DIY (from a villager this morning), and the pumpkinhead scarecrow thing DIY (which I think I shot down from a balloon, but I don't remember). I'm guessing at least some of the items (wand, floor, wall, rug) won't show up at Nook's and will need to be crafted, but idk.

There's still a benefit to growing pumpkins though, because they're needed in order to customize the items (regardless of whether they came from DIYs or Nook's).

I've gotten three DIYs so far. Two from neighbors and one from a balloon. But two of them have been in Nooks the last two days.

I've gotten three DIYs so far. Two from neighbors and one from a balloon. But two of them have been in Nooks the last two days.

What did you have at Nook's? I had the arch yesterday, and the table today...wondering if it's the same for everyone, or just a random item

What did you have at Nook's? I had the arch yesterday, and the table today...wondering if it's the same for everyone, or just a random item

I'm pretty sure it's random. Yesterday was the candy set and today was the lantern.

How about costumes at Ables? We had the mage's cloak yesterday and the mage's shoes today. I'm honestly hoping for some costumes for guys.

I'm pretty sure it's random. Yesterday was the candy set and today was the lantern.

How about costumes at Ables? We had the mage's cloak yesterday and the mage's shoes today. I'm honestly hoping for some costumes for guys.

I don't remember what I had yesterday, but today I have a raggedy outfit, which I'm guessing they mean to be for a zombie costume

How's everybody doing with the pumpkins so far? My wife and I kind of staggered the planting, so we have some showing up almost every day now. That being said, we still haven't had any green ones yet, although I haven't played today yet.

Back