The Roost - All things Animal Crossing: New Horizons for Nintendo Switch

I've had an empty spot on my island for over a month because the game keeps throwing a parade of unappealing characters at me. The other day it was Megan, who looks like she comes from a completely different game. Yesterday it was Lionel, who was incredibly snobbish. I don't know if I'm being picky here, but yikes. I need to get a dodo ticket but I haven't had the time.

I've had an empty spot on my island for over a month because the game keeps throwing a parade of unappealing characters at me. The other day it was Megan, who looks like she comes from a completely different game. Yesterday it was Lionel, who was incredibly snobbish. I don't know if I'm being picky here, but yikes. I need to get a dodo ticket but I haven't had the time.

I say you're being picky, but that's just me.

How do you keep an empty spot though? I can't go one day with an empty plot before it's filled.

I say you're being picky, but that's just me.

How do you keep an empty spot though? I can't go one day with an empty plot before it's filled.

Lionel negged me right off the bat, so I'm standing by my choice there, heh heh. I think I have a couple of villagers I'm lukewarm on already (Angus is both annoying and charming in a Flavortown way, Amelia is kinda bossy and doesn't seem to like me much, and Cyrano is only mostly charmingly cranky), so I'm holding out for someone more pleasant.

For the sake of positivity, I'd like to give a shoutout to Piper, Hazel, Zell, Sydney, Sherb, and Lily, who are all perfectly charming.

Not sure how I keep the empty spot; I thought you had to explicitly invite someone you see on an island you fly to, or talk to someone at the campsite?

Lionel negged me right off the bat, so I'm standing by my choice there, heh heh. I think I have a couple of villagers I'm lukewarm on already (Angus is both annoying and charming in a Flavortown way, Amelia is kinda bossy and doesn't seem to like me much, and Cyrano is only mostly charmingly cranky), so I'm holding out for someone more pleasant.

For the sake of positivity, I'd like to give a shoutout to Piper, Hazel, Zell, Sydney, Sherb, and Lily, who are all perfectly charming.

Not sure how I keep the empty spot; I thought you had to explicitly invite someone you see on an island you fly to, or talk to someone at the campsite?
If a spot sits too long Tom Nook will just fill it for you. Sometimes it's filled within two days.

I made a short list of dreamies and desirables that I'm slowly working my island toward as I get a chance. It does involve lots of miles and tickets though any time I get an open plot. Last week, I took ~25 mystery island trips in a day just to replace Maggie. Ended up scoring Aurora who is in my top 10. During those trips, I've passed up on a couple popular islanders (Roald, Marina), but it was tempting to secure those and make a trade for bank on Nookazon down the line. I'm not giving up my Raymond, Marshal, Zucker, or Sherb, who are all top 10 dreamies worldwide. I'm also keeping Clay and am happy with Muffy for now. Now I just need Lucky, Coco, Zell, and Julian.

Is anyone still on the lookout for any specific recipes? I have about 60 extras filling 2 rooms in my house that I have been hoarding. I am probably going to sell them soon but I thought I should check in with yall.

Sorry in advance for the long post. I have the following DIY recipes for grabs if anyone would like them.

Tea table
cardboard bed
peach chair
cutting board
rocking horse
cherry dress
racoon figurine
mossy garden rock
cherry speakers
tropical vista
natural garden table
underwater wall
log chair
tulip surprise box
log wall mounted clock
tree standee
palm-tree lamp
leaf
grass standee
log pack
peach umbrella
pear wardrobe
pansy table
natural square table
fancy lily wreath
classic library wall
terrarium honeycomb flooring
matryoshka
jail bars
wooden block bed
shell wand
ironwood cart
pear wall
peach rug
western style stone
star wand
wild log bench
wooden chest
bamboo sphere
ironwood dresser
wooden chair
wooden block table
log dining table
money flooring
pear hat
fossil doorplate
zen style stone
starry sands flooring
scarecrow
cosmos shower
garden rock
log chair
cherry lamp
barbel
log stool
golden candlestick
gold-screen wall
simple mum crown
wooden simple bed
bamboo floor lamp
ironwood cupboard
deer decoration
wooden bookshelf
golden toilet
bamboo hat
sandy beach flooring
infused water dispenser
underwater wall
peach umbrella
orange umbrella
scattered papers
iron wall rack
knights helmet
bamboo floor lamp

Sorry in advance for the long post. I have the following DIY recipes for grabs if anyone would like them.

Tea table
cardboard bed
peach chair
cutting board
rocking horse
cherry dress
racoon figurine
mossy garden rock
cherry speakers
tropical vista
natural garden table
underwater wall
log chair
tulip surprise box
log wall mounted clock
tree standee
palm-tree lamp
leaf
grass standee
log pack
peach umbrella
pear wardrobe
pansy table
natural square table
fancy lily wreath
classic library wall
terrarium honeycomb flooring
matryoshka
jail bars
wooden block bed
shell wand
ironwood cart
pear wall
peach rug
western style stone
star wand
wild log bench
wooden chest
bamboo sphere
ironwood dresser
wooden chair
wooden block table
log dining table
money flooring
pear hat
fossil doorplate
zen style stone
starry sands flooring
scarecrow
cosmos shower
garden rock
log chair
cherry lamp
barbel
log stool
golden candlestick
gold-screen wall
simple mum crown
wooden simple bed
bamboo floor lamp
ironwood cupboard
deer decoration
wooden bookshelf
golden toilet
bamboo hat
sandy beach flooring
infused water dispenser
underwater wall
peach umbrella
orange umbrella
scattered papers
iron wall rack
knights helmet
bamboo floor lamp

My wife and I finally decided to just sell all of the extra recipes we had laying around. It was bringing down our town rating and nobody really needed many of them anymore anyway.

so i've been playing this the last few weeks, and i've kind of taken the slow route. having played all of the console ac games before and hating having to pay 'loans' in a video game, i decided to approach this one a bit differently so i could get that part out of the way. i decided that i would only earn and earn and earn bells until i had enough for the next house upgrade, then trigger the upgrade, and pay the loan amount right away the next day, then rinse and repeat until i was done having to pay that damn racoon.

what this meant: from the very first day, i sold EVERYTHING i collected, with only a few exceptions. i gave no museum donations, nor donated materials to complete the store. i did not travel anywhere. i did not buy anything unless necessary. i did not furnish my house, except with a toilet because i thought that was funny. i *did* store all excess crafting materials i gathered knowing i will need to use a bunch once i actually started playing for fun. and i did gift the two other residents (reneigh and axel) an item a day, along with sending one letter plus a gift item to one of them every day. my island has cherries as the native fruit, and so i planted the orange i was gifted early in the game by 'mom' (i think) to grow an orange tree and then plant more trees from there. so eventually every three days i'd have an island of 70%/30% orange/cherry trees to pick and sell.

as i most often only get maybe 1-1 1/2 hours max a day to play, this worked out fairly well, as i got into the routine of picking/selling any fruit i had, selling any fishing/bugging/diving creatures i caught, planting 10k bells in the golden tree spot so i could get 30k in return each day, and selling 4 identified fossils- all of this done solely to build up my bell count. on days with no fruit on the trees i chopped and stored wood from all of those trees without chopping the tree down.

but this approach also meant not being able to access my island's other tiers, traveling to other islands, getting new residents, and in general just not progressing in the game in any way. but i was determined to see this approach through as paying tom nook was always my least favorite part of the older games.

well, folks, a couple days ago i banked that final deposit to make it to 2,498,000 bells in the abd and told nook to build my basement. yesterday i got that basement and immediately paid that last loan off. i donated everything i was allowed to to get the museum and shop construction started. today i traveled for the first time (side note: because i never spent any, i have banked about 130k nook miles over these last few weeks). i was able to finally build the ladder to see the rest of my island for the first time. lastly, i completed all of the crafting needed to bring three new residents- apparently i will be graced with lily, sherb, and flora. hopefully they aren't turds.

i am kind of surprised that there isn't any sort of reward, like nook miles or a special item, for paying off that last loan. but even if i knew that beforehand, i still would have played this way- i guess i really just don't like feeling indebted to a video game mafioso.

so, now i can start enjoying the game. i feel like the south park kids when they beat the world of warcraft nerd:

gc5CQc4.jpg

raccoons are mature at one year of age! and these raccoons are old enough to know how to fleece their customers for 20% of the cut for 'handling fees'! they ain't children any more, they are knowingly complicit in a racket scheme!

raccoons are mature at one year of age! and these raccoons are old enough to know how to fleece their customers for 20% of the cut for 'handling fees'! they ain't children any more, they are knowingly complicit in a racket scheme!

And in all reality, they're not even racoons, but tanuki (where Tom Nook gets his name), which are raccoon dogs...

Back