The Reader’s Nook - The N&G Book Thread

With the movie coming out soonish, I decided to re-read Delillo's "White Noise". Read it in college so it's been a while. Forgot how much of a trip it is....
Loved this too at a similar time in life to you. Didn’t realise a movie was coming, will have to give it to a re-read also.
I’m due a reread, probably later this fall. My spouse bought me a copy five years ago, after a “how have you not read this?” conversation. I was surprised just how up my alley Delillo is.

Add me to the "hoping to reread White Noise soon" crew. I read it five or six years back, but unfortunately I've got a bunch of others I'd like to revisit soon, too. Also in the middle of a Pynchon right now so may need a lighter read or two first.

Forgive the URL and site name, but I recently enjoyed this article on White Noise which has got it further on the brain: The American Book of the Dead

For the first time in my life I’ve been keeping track of every book I’ve read since the start of the year. I am slightly disappointed to find that as of today I have only read 21. I feel like I’ve seen people at the end of the year saying they’ve read 50+, or even 100+. How do you find the time?!

Anyway, I finished Pachinko today and loved it. It does everything a good, long book should do. Just feeling like you’re totally imagine it g a place (or places), and getting the scope of it all by the end. Very satisfying.

The best new book I’ve read this year is Dilla Time - which is a nonfiction biography of J Dilla. But it’s also much more than that. It’s part music history, part music theory, with the overarching central figure being Dilla. Although it helps to be a fan of him, or a fan of hip hop in general, I feel like any music lover should read this. It made me truly appreciate music more - which I didn’t know was possible.

Next up…White Tears by Hari Kunzru.

For the first time in my life I’ve been keeping track of every book I’ve read since the start of the year. I am slightly disappointed to find that as of today I have only read 21. I feel like I’ve seen people at the end of the year saying they’ve read 50+, or even 100+. How do you find the time?!

Anyway, I finished Pachinko today and loved it. It does everything a good, long book should do. Just feeling like you’re totally imagine it g a place (or places), and getting the scope of it all by the end. Very satisfying.

The best new book I’ve read this year is Dilla Time - which is a nonfiction biography of J Dilla. But it’s also much more than that. It’s part music history, part music theory, with the overarching central figure being Dilla. Although it helps to be a fan of him, or a fan of hip hop in general, I feel like any music lover should read this. It made me truly appreciate music more - which I didn’t know was possible.

Also loved Dilla Time, essential stuff.

I've given up on predicting a quantity of books to read in a year, and just focusing on reading what I want to at any given time. Sometimes that means several long books in a row. If I were to focus on a number, I probably wouldn't read any long stuff. I'm at about 22 I think, and at my rate will end up at about 24 or 25, which is satisfying when you consider that like 7 or 8 of those are 500+ pages AND I was having a good time the whole time.

I track my reading through Goodreads and I add a reading goal every year. This year so far I have read 72 books, but my goal was only 60. I am not monogamous when it comes to reading. I'm usually reading at least five books at a time: physical, audio, and ebook. I keep a book in the bathroom that I only read there. I always have an audiobook going which I listen to in the car or while doing chores or during work if it's a mindless project. I read on my Kindle on breaks, during dinner, and every night before bed. As it's October, I'm currently reading a slew of witchy books: The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches by Sangu Mandanna (physical book), Not the Witch you Wed by April Asher (physical book), A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness (Kindle), Witch, Please by Ann Aguirre (Kindle), but also The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving (audiobook), and The Storied Life of AJ Fikry by Gabrielle Zevin (Kindle). I am a total mood reader which is why I tend to start a million books before finishing one! LOL.

I use Goodreads to track what I read and bookmark things I'm interested in for the future, but the gamification of reading the site promotes can be/probably is very cancerous. Reading is meant to expand your mind; it's good to take your time, marinate in and contemplate whatever you're reading. It's not a race.

I use Goodreads to track what I read and bookmark things I'm interested in for the future, but the gamification of reading the site promotes can be/probably is very cancerous. Reading is meant to expand your mind; it's good to take your time, marinate in and contemplate whatever you're reading. It's not a race.
This goes for every social media too (including this one)! Stay mindful, and just do what you want.

Last edited:
For sure.
I've been meaning to read Pachinko for ages, a recommendation by a family friend whose taste I trust, but still haven't gotten around to it. Sounds like a great read.

I’m just going to issue another plug for the Storygraph app. It’s fun to apply all the different tags to the books you read as you review them and then you can look back on some different charts and graphs showing the various moods, paces, formats, genres, themes, etc. of the books you’ve logged.

My favorite part is that it doesn’t force you to interact as much with other people, haha. For example, when you look up a book, it shows you info about the book and aggregated info from the tags that people have used in their reviews - you don’t have to read a bunch of different reviews where people are trying to be witty or talking about their jarring personal experiences etc. to get a feel for what the consensus is about what the book is actually like.

EDIT:
CFDD5636-667B-4891-8E06-5D21BBE66532.jpeg116585D4-7BF0-4494-A3F6-6251DD794AE8.jpeg

And I mean, you CAN follow people if you want to see only their reviews if they’ve reviewed the book you’re looking at. And you can go and explore all of the reviews if you want, but it just feels less like a popularity contest and more like the focus stays on the books themselves.

Last edited:
Just picked up Cormac McCarthy’s first new book in 16 years, The Passenger. I’m way hyped; the first McCarthy I picked up was The Road, in ‘07, and I’ve spent the intervening time catching up on most of his other books.

I’m only through the prologue, but it’s a departure. In a good way, imo.

I’ve heard the adaptation on Apple TV+ is excellent.

Just picked up Cormac McCarthy’s first new book in 16 years, The Passenger. I’m way hyped; the first McCarthy I picked up was The Road, in ‘07, and I’ve spent the intervening time catching up on most of his other books.

I’m only through the prologue, but it’s a departure. In a good way, imo.
I've got a library hold on that coming in soon. Looking forward to it. I've only read The Road of his before.

I’ve heard the adaptation on Apple TV+ is excellent.
I started it, but now want to go back and finish it. What I didn't realize was this is a multi-season show, so the first season barely gets into the bulk of the book. But yes what I have seen is great. It's one of the most visually impressive shows I've seen on streaming.

Lots of stuff worth visiting in his bibliography. Blood Meridian is the magnum opus, but it’s dark and dense. All the Pretty Horses is probably my strongest all-around recommendation.
Yep, I've got both of those on my reading list. Was hoping to get to one or both before the new one, but doesn't look likely.

I finished The Expanse (minus the Novellas) and I loved it.

I'm listening to The Lord of the Rings for the first time since I read it in High School. It's wild how much more events are drawn out, especially at the beginning.
I just finished Fellowship for the first time and sweet jesus it can be dry at times. Like you said, everythings so long winded and stretched out. I read The Hobbit a few times when I was younger and really liked it, much more eventful than Fellowship. I have heard that the pace picks up after it though, so I might get around to reading the other 2 at some point.

Other than a stint in my early twenties of buying any different edition of Brave New World I could find, I'm not generally one for picking up multiple copies of the same book, but I suspect I'll be picking this one up for the new essays.

Ff7X_sQWAAEKFPz (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back